Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1
    mtDNA (M)
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands

Suggestions for improving Ethnicity Estimates on AncestryDNA

Hopefully ensuring that Ancestry's update will be a step forward and not a step backwards Some of the suggestions below are specific for improving the African breakdown on AncestryDNA. However most of them are valid across the board.

Feel free to discuss & add your own personal wishlist!

1. Bring back the continental breakdown display (subtotals specified for each continent)
    2. Mention the “aggregate ethnicity estimates” for each migration/genetic community (used to be available in the beta version)
    3. Enable the Ethnicity Estimate Comparison feature for all customers and not just USA-based smartphone users.
    4. Show ethnicity/admixture of shared DNA segments with your matches (chromosome browser).
    5. Avoid misleading labeling of ancestral regions. Providing a false sense of accuracy.
    6. Maintain current coherency of African breakdown and improve by creating less overlapping and more predictive regions
    7. Add more historically relevant African samples to Ancestry’s Reference Panel. In particular from Angola, Burkina Faso, Guinea Bissau/Conakry, Liberia, Madagascar, Mozambique and Sierra Leone.
    8. Create new regions and/or migrations centered around these historically relevant samples.
    9. Create new African “migrations”, a.k.a. genetic communities. In particular for Nigeria & Ghana, as sufficient customer samples may already exist.

For more details: https://tracingafricanroots.wordpres...n-ancestrydna/
    Last edited by Don Felipe; 07-06-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Don Felipe For This Useful Post:

euromutt (07-06-2018),  Lugus (07-06-2018),  msmarjoribanks (07-06-2018),  mwoneill7 (07-07-2018),  PoxVoldius (07-06-2018),  Tjada (07-06-2018),  tomz (07-15-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    SouthEast English
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21 or R1b-A228
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2a1

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Felipe View Post
    Hopefully ensuring that Ancestry's update will be a step forward and not a step backwards Some of the suggestions below are specific for improving the African breakdown on AncestryDNA. However most of them are valid across the board.

1. Bring back the continental breakdown display (subtotals specified for each continent)
    2. Mention the “aggregate ethnicity estimates” for each migration/genetic community (used to be available in the beta version)
    3. Enable the Ethnicity Estimate Comparison feature for all customers and not just USA-based smartphone users.
    4. Show ethnicity/admixture of shared DNA segments with your matches (chromosome browser).
    5. Avoid misleading labeling of ancestral regions. Providing a false sense of accuracy.
    6. Maintain current coherency of African breakdown and improve by creating less overlapping and more predictive regions
    7. Add more historically relevant African samples to Ancestry’s Reference Panel. In particular from Angola, Burkina Faso, Guinea Bissau/Conakry, Liberia, Madagascar, Mozambique and Sierra Leone.
    8. Create new regions and/or migrations centered around these historically relevant samples.
    9. Create new African “migrations”, a.k.a. genetic communities. In particular for Nigeria & Ghana, as sufficient customer samples may already exist.

I don't trust ancestryDNA because it is American company and sorry but Americans are anti-intellectual anti-scientific idiots. See the book "The Age of American Unreason" by Susan Jacoby. I trust the raw data but not their analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Teutorigos View Post
    I don't trust ancestryDNA because it is American company and sorry but Americans are anti-intellectual anti-scientific idiots. See the book "The Age of American Unreason" by Susan Jacoby. I trust the raw data but not their analysis.
    Are saying that all science performed in America is garbage because all Americans are dumb? Isn't your nationality listed as American?

The PhDs working on the ethnicity estimates are hardly "anti-intellectual anti-scientific idiots" just because they are in America (which, by the way, is home to all sorts of cutting-edge science and internationally renowned academic institutions).
    Last edited by mwoneill7; 07-07-2018 at 09:06 PM.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mwoneill7 For This Useful Post:

Dimanto (07-07-2018),  Don Felipe (07-07-2018),  euromutt (07-07-2018),  msmarjoribanks (07-08-2018),  PoxVoldius (07-07-2018),  sktibo (07-16-2018),  tomz (07-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Nationality
    Dutch
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-M405
    mtDNA (P)
    U5a1

Netherlands Italy Italy Two Sicilies
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Felipe View Post

I live in Northwestern Europe and I can also do EE comparisons with my matches on my iPhone.
    Mc Donald:
    Most likely fit is 62.4% (+- 9.5%) Europe (various subcontinents)
    and 37.6% (+- 9.5%) Mideast (various subcontinents)
    Dodecad World9:
    1 50% S_Italian_Sicilian +50% Dutch @ 1.083
    2 50% German +50% S_Italian @ 1.126
    3 50% Dutch +50% S_Italian @ 1.148

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dimanto For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (07-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1
    mtDNA (M)
    L3e4

Cape Verde Netherlands
    That's good to know! When I tried downloading the app it gave me an error because it was restricted to the US. Perhaps they have adjusted this in the meanwhile. Either way I would also like to use this very useful feature on my PC, as i perform most of my research from my desktop pc.
    Hidden Content
    Exploring the Ethnic Origins of the Afro-Diaspora