Thread: Confused about Gedmatch results

Registered Users
    Sex

Confused about Gedmatch results

Hello, this is my first post. Sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I am from Bosnia, and I took a DNA test which I then uploaded to GEDmatch. However, I don't really know how to understand it. Where/Why do I have so much North European, Baltic and Altantic?
    I have taken a few different GEDmatch models, here are the results.

I'll only list the big percentages and such, to not clutter up my post. But feel free to ask for any additional information if needed.

Eurogenes K13
    Population Percent
    Baltic 34.17
    North_Atlantic 26.31
    East_Med 15.02
    West_Med 13.81
    West_Asian 08.00

Dodecad K12b
    Population Percent
    North_European 44.69
    Atlantic_Med 26.20
    Caucasus 19.73
    Gedrosia 03.86
    Southwest_Asian 03.85

MDLP K11
    Population Percent
    Neolithic 32.63
    WHG 30.98
    EHG 27.35
    Basal 06.01

MDLP K23b
    Population Percent
    European_Hunters_Gatherers 38.53
    Caucasian 32.49
    European_Early_Farmers 15.75
    Near_East 04.05
    Ancestral_Altaic 02.96
    South_Central_Asian 02.78

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Prunj7 For This Useful Post:

jojowolf (07-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    A helpful thing to do with Gedmatch is start by working with the calculators that give spreadsheets. Many of them do, including Eurogenes K13, which is the first one you list. If you look at the average numbers the calculator uses for your ethnicity (if available) and those surrounding it, you will see if you are scoring higher or lower than expected on certain components and understand the oracle results (which should not be taken too seriously).

Looks like Bosnian is not on the spreadsheet, so I pulled out Croatia and Serbia for the Balkans, and then Austria and Greece as additional comparisons. I'm using only the components that have significant amounts. You might be more interested in other comparisons, look through the spreadsheet or at the ones that come up on your oracles.

You
    North Atlantic 26.31
    Baltic 34.17
    West Med 13.81
    West Asian 8.00
    East Med 15.02

Croatian
    North Atlantic 27.21
    Baltic 36.11
    West Med 14.54
    West Asian 7.94
    East Med 9.44

--Comment: pretty close, you have more East Med, which makes some sense

Serbian
    North Atlantic 27.10
    Baltic 27.32
    West Med 15.84
    West Asian 9.37
    East Med 15.63

--Comment: similar East Med, but you (and the average Croatian) have more Baltic (a northern/eastern European component)

Austrian
    North Atlantic 37.21
    Baltic 29.87
    West Med 14.58
    West Asian 7.23
    East Med 8.23

--Comment: you have less North Atlantic and more East Med, again seems to geographically and historically make sense

Greek_Thessaly
    North Atlantic 19.12
    Baltic 16.32
    West Med 20.63
    West Asian 11.87
    East Med 25.40

--Comment: far less North Atlantic and Baltic, which are more northern components, more Med and West Asian, again makes sense geographically

Based on that, yours seem to make sense in context. You can use the Oracle to see how similar you are to the current populations it has and mixes of them, if you have not.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

jojowolf (07-17-2018),  Onur Dincer (07-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Oh, quicker response on "why so much Baltic and Atlantic" -- the components aren't identifiers of where you are from. People aren't normally going to get 100% of something. They are components that tend to peak in the areas by which they are identified, but which exist in many different countries or regions to a greater or lesser degree.

So, for example, someone from SE England will on average get about 14% West Med and 4.5% West Asian on Gedmatch (Eurogenes K13) without that meaning they have some kind of recent or even genealogical time ancestry other than SE English. That's why the fact you get "Baltic" in Gedmatch shouldn't result in Ancestry or 23 and Me finding ancestry from a Baltic country in similar percentages. People sometimes get confused about that and think it's weird they get only 1% Iberian on 23 and Me but 9% on some Gedmatch calculator, but it's not, its that some range of what K36 calls "Iberian" is in many European countries, not just the ones on the Iberian Peninsula.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Onur Dincer (07-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Thank you very much, that does make sence. And GEDmatch has guessed that im Serbian or Croatian or there about on pretty much every model I used. One of the models, I think it was one of the MDLP ones even broke it down into Bosniak, Bosnian Serb and Bosnian Croat. And my top 5 was all Bosnian stuff and Croat and Serb

The DNA test was taken with MyHeritage. Where I got 82% Balkan, 15% East European and 3% Irish, Scottish and Welsh.
    One of the Gedmatch results also gave me a Celtic/British origin in Oracle. Im guessing that means I either have very small amount of celtic in me or very distant, or maybe it was just an error. Just a bit weird that MyHeritage would pick up 3% Irish, Scottish, Welsh in me, they did seem suprised when they called me for a customer review/feedback call on my phone but they said it wasn't an error just rare. I don't really know, but im planning on taking more tests and see what happens when I can afford it

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prunj7 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (07-09-2018),  Onur Dincer (07-09-2018)