Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interpreting mtFull results - help!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/German/Dalmatian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Croatia Split-Dalmatia

Interpreting mtFull results - help!

Just got my results in today. Took about 7 weeks. My maternal line is apparently Ashkenazi [k1a1b1a], though my research brick walls in 1800s Tennessee so that's a bit of a mystery. I am relatively new to genetic genealogy and I have no idea what any of these numbers mean. Please send me a private message or tell me what to post if you're willing to take a look - I'd really appreciate it.
    English, Scottish, German, Croatian (Dalmatian). Peripheral: Irish, Swiss, French Huguenot, Dutch.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Have you joined the K project yet? That's a good resource. Also, I assume you have lots of GD 0 matches (look at the ones for HVR1, HVR2, and coding region) -- that can be helpful. K1a1b1a is an interesting result given what your ancestry seems to be, but the early American "west," which would have included Tennessee had lots of Germans, many of whom were from the Rhineland. My own K2b2 gets lost in Kentucky (when it was part of Virginia), and I currently suspect it may have come from Germany -- I know the last known female ancestor married a German immigrant, anyway.

Anyway, if this is so (there are a variety of explanations it could be), there likely would be Ashkenazi mtDNA among the Rhineland Germans (among others), as Ashkenazi were in the Rhineland before Rhinelanders were emigrating to America (see https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/t...the-rhine.html), and I'm sure some of those converted to Christianity over the years.

I'll send you a private message about what can be helpful to look at to understand mtDNA and to help walk you through. I'm interested in mtDNA and especially K.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

raschau (07-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/German/Dalmatian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Germany doesn't register; looks like my mysterious Tennessee great-great-great grandmother had roots in the Russian Empire.

I have no GD 0 matches but I do have 14 pages of GD 1 matches.

The highest percentage of HVR1 matches under 'Ancestral Origins' (higher than 3%) are:

Belarus 6.6% Ashkenazi (8)
    Romania 6.3% Ashkenazi (23)
    Latvia 5.5% Ashkenazi (8)
    Lithuania 4.6% Ashkenazi (19)
    Moldova 4% Ashkenazi (3)
    Ukraine 4% Ashkanazi (Chausey) (1), Ashkenazi (40)
    Hungary 3.5% Ashkenazi (15)
    Poland 3.3% Ashkenazi (67), Galicia (1), Galicia-Ashkenazi (1), Prussia (2), Silesia (1)
    Russian Federation 3.2% Ashkenazi (29)

HVR1 and HVR2

Romania 5.2% Ashkenazi (9)
    Belarus 4.6% Ashkenazi (5)
    Lithuania 4.4% Ashkenazi (14)
    Ukraine 3.4% Ashkanazi (Chausey) (1), Ashkenazi (22)
    Hungary 3% Ashkenazi (6)

HVR1, HVR2, Coding Region Matches

Belarus is the highest percentage for HVR1 and Romania is highest for HVR1 and HVR2; does this mean that my Ashkenazi maternal ancestor was from Romania? I'm assuming HVR1 and 2 together mean a higher confidence level?

Which is more important, HVR match percentage or number of HVR matches? I have 40 HVR1 Ashkenazi matches for Ukraine and 22 HVR2 matches for Ukraine, does this mean my Ashkenazi maternal ancestor was from the Ukraine?

And what do the 'Haplogroup Origins' numbers represent?
    English, Scottish, German, Croatian (Dalmatian). Peripheral: Irish, Swiss, French Huguenot, Dutch.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to raschau For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (07-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/German/Dalmatian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

double post, sry
    Last edited by raschau; 07-17-2018 at 02:18 AM. Reason: double post, d'oh

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

Oh, interesting. K1a1b1a is such a large group I was sure you must have a GD=0.

None of those matches are necessarily super close, because mtDNA can not mutate for such a long time.

I have barely any matches (K2b2 is rare), and yet a GD=1 who is also a Family Finder match, so a difference doesn't necessarily mean you will be very distant, but it can mean that. My dad's mtDNA line happens to be a well documented one, and we have it traced back to Suffolk in the 1500s (his ancestor came to Massachusetts in the 1630s). He has some perfect matches AND some GD=1 matches who are within a couple of hundred years, but others who are perfect matches despite the MRCA being the woman who came over in the 1630s or even her mother. And in some other cases there's a perfect match with people in Scandinavia and one who traces back to Northern Germany, so those have to be very distant.

Regarding the numbers, mine look different, I have something like: "Germany (3), 16603, <0.1%" or "Czech Republic (1), 1303, 0.1%." My understanding is that that means 16,603 people who took the mtDNA test gave Germany as their most distant matrilineal ancestor's place of birth, and that 3 of those people, or <0.1%, match me. This is based on how the person identified it, which is why there are some obvious errors (mostly people saying Native American when they probably mean "born in America."

But what I think yours mean is similar:

Romania 5.2% Ashkenazi (9) -- you have matches with 9 people or 5.2% of those who identified themselves as Romanian (or Romanian and Ashkenazi). Is there not a bigger number too?

The percentages are meant to correct for the fact that some countries (or countries of origin) have way more testers than others, so I would say percentage matters more, but if the numbers are really small it can be misleading. For Eastern/Central Europe and Ashkenazi in particular it can also be misleading because people might give different countries (based on their family's knowledge or when the person emigrated) for the same place, due to moving borders.

The most important/closest matches would be the ones with coding region. After that I'd focus on HVR1+2, as just HVR1 might not be close (or it might be -- the person might not have tested yet).

Just to be clear, if you go to mtDNA matches and then show matches for the entire database and regions "HVR1, HVR2, coding region," do you get nothing? Or do you get 14 pages, but they are all GD=1 (or 2?).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

raschau (07-17-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/German/Dalmatian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Just to be clear, if you go to mtDNA matches and then show matches for the entire database and regions "HVR1, HVR2, coding region," do you get nothing? Or do you get 14 pages, but they are all GD=1 (or 2?).
    I get 45 pages of matches, the first 14 of which are GD=1. I get 0 coding region matches under 'Ancestral Origins'.

My highest HVR1 and 2 matches by number are:

Poland 90/4064
    Russia 63/2695
    Ukraine 59/1746
    Germany 52/11462
    Lithuania 43/977
    Hungary 30/1013
    Romania 29/557
    Belarus 28/613
    Last edited by raschau; 07-17-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/German/Dalmatian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Ashkenazi matches drop off dramatically under 'Haplogroup Origins' / HVR1, HVR2, AND CODING REGION MATCHES (GD=1):

34 matches for Poland; of these, 4 are Ashkenazi.

24 matches for Russia; 2 are Ashkenazi.

20 Ukraine; 5 Ashkenazi.

13 Hungary; 1 Ashkenazi.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/German/Dalmatian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a1b1a

Okay, here are some better formatted results - sorry for being a huge pain.

mtDNA - Ancestral Origins
    HVR1 and HVR2 Matches

Poland 90/4064
    Ashkenazi (18), Galicia (1), Prussia (2)

Russian Federation 63/2695
    Ashkenazi (11)

Ukraine 59/1746
    Ashkanazi (Chausey) (1), Ashkenazi (22)

Germany 52/11462
    Ashkenazi (9)

Lithuania 43/977
    Ashkenazi (14)

Hungary 30/1013
    Ashkenazi (6)

Romania 29/557
    Ashkenazi (9)

Belarus 28/613
    Ashkenazi (5)

Austria 20/970
    Ashkenazi (3), Bohemia (1)

mtDNA - Haplogroup Origins
    HVR1, HVR2, and Coding Region Matches
    Genetic Distance-1

Poland 34
    Ashkenazi (4)

Russian Federation 24
    Ashkenazi (2)

Ukraine 20
    Ashkenazi (5)

Lithuania 18
    Ashkenazi (8)

Germany 17
    Ashkenazi (6)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

One thing I would do is go through your closest matches (likely the HVR1/HVR2/coding region matches that are GD=1) and find out where the difference is. GD=1 means that you should be exactly the same but for one mutation. You might be able to put your matches into groups based on which ones have which mutation. There's a good blog piece on what you can learn by this that I will try to find and link later today.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H

United Nations
    I would advice you to focus more on full sequence matches ( the section with coding region), since the matches from HVR1 and HVR2 are matches probably from thousands of years ago when there even weren't any Ashkenazi Jews at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast