Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interpreting mtFull results - help!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    I can't find the article I was looking for, will try to find and link it later.

This one is helpful: https://dna-explained.com/2012/10/04...l-dna-results/

What I did with my results was pull up the RSRS and look at how it determined my haplogroup. You don't have to do this, but I found it helpful in understanding. This is the place to get the information: http://www.phylotree.org/, and this is an explanation of what the RSRS is (vs. rCRS): https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...sequence-rsrs/.

If you look at your results page, you see a list of mutations under HVR1, a list under HVR2, and then a list for coding region. Any HVR1 match will match you exactly (have the same mutations) for HVR1, any HVR2 match will match you exactly for HVR2 (have the same mutations), and any HVR1 and HVR2 match will match exactly for both. Sometimes people only take HVR1 or HVR1/HVR2, so you don't know how they would compare if they took the full test.

Since you have lots of matches best to start with the full test matches, though.

A 0 GD match (which you don't have) will match perfectly, whereas a 1 GD match will have one difference. Ideally you will find out where those differences are, and you can only do that by asking the people.

What you might be able to do is put matches into categories showing shared differences. I'd start by identifying your GD1 full matches that are ALSO matches on HVR1 and HVR2. That means the only difference is on the coding region. Then I'd email to say you are trying to try and pinpoint how far back your common match is, give whatever information you are comfortable giving about your own matrilineal ancestor, and say you understand theirs is from [whatever they say] or otherwise ask for what information they have. I'd also keep a chart of the differences in mutations so that you can group them. You may find that there are a group that have a particular extra mutation (or lack a mutation you have) who are in one particular country. This may ultimately allow you to see how the groups diverged.

It will likely take a while because you have so many matches, but that also means you might be able to get good information even if many of them don't respond.

One thing you may find is that a lot of people don't have information on their ancestor's origin, maybe because they are stuck in the US like you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

raschau (07-21-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12