Page 386 of 394 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 3934

Thread: চেহারাمنهنचेहराముఖంمخமுகம்چہرہਚਿਹਰਾ

Registered Users
    Sex

India
    Quote Originally Posted by kush View Post
    Khatri percentage is relatively high in delhi iirc.
    Probably 10-15 % are Punjabis at most (including Sikhs) in Delhi with major share of Khatris true that..But such figure is that high ior not in comparision to others is debatable..Eg. Purvanchalis alone are 35% now acc. to some rough sources - https://www.dailypioneer.com/2013/de...li-voters.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent_Vinod For This Useful Post:

kush (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    H-M52
    mtDNA
    M5a

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    At the end of the day khatris have more exotic looking types than any other mainland communities. I don't know if it applies on him though since I haven't seen his family.
    The pictures you posted, khatris will stand out among them?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    All I have done is posted pictures of me, I did post my parents for a few hours. Not even sure how many people remember what they look like. Not everyone in my family look exotic, my parents certainly don't. I don't either for the most part, pretty typical for how my group looks. My extended family is quite active on social media so I don't want to post their pictures. If someone wants to see what Khatris look like they can search for Khatri brides and grooms, it's a good way of seeing regular folks. I'll try to find some older pictures that are not on the internet of my family.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    All I have done is posted pictures of me, I did post my parents for a few hours. Not even sure how many people remember what they look like. Not everyone in my family look exotic, my parents certainly don't. I don't either for the most part, pretty typical for how my group looks. My extended family is quite active on social media so I don't want to post their pictures. If someone wants to see what Khatris look like they can search for Khatri brides and grooms, it's a good way of seeing regular folks. I'll try to find some older pictures that are not on the internet of my family.
    can you post some group pictures from Khatri gatherings like "all khatri association meetings" etc , it would be nice to see. Unfortunately its not possible to get birdari specific crowd pictures since society is so mixed.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a

Pakistan Azad Kashmir India
    The thing with Iranis and NW Indians is that there is definitely some affinity between them, in their features and sometimes even the skin tones. Interestingly, back in Bangalore, I had some Irani friends, once an Iani friend's Irani friend confused me for an Iranian. Iran is a pretty vast country and the ranges of phenotype have some parallels in NW India as well, among the Punjabis. However if you go to North Western Iran, they are a completely distinct lot, with very few Punjabi parallels and they tend to have fair hair and eye colour as well, proper caucasus.
    And some Bengali chap thought I was a Kannadiga. And a Kashmiri Pandit thought I was a Kashmiri Muslim, an Afghani thought I was a Pashtun, a fellow Potohari thought I was from Bombay(culturally perhaps). I have hugely tanned hands and arms, some of the face as well, having done a good amount of biking and cycling in the past 9 years, not that I was fair or rosy as a kid. However in Bangalore, a standard Punjabi would definitely stand out.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rahuls77 For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (01-12-2019),  DMXX (01-12-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    The thing with Iranis and NW Indians is that there is definitely some affinity between them, in their features and sometimes even the skin tones. Interestingly, back in Bangalore, I had some Irani friends, once an Iani friend's Irani friend confused me for an Iranian. Iran is a pretty vast country and the ranges of phenotype have some parallels in NW India as well, among the Punjabis. However if you go to North Western Iran, they are a completely distinct lot, with very few Punjabi parallels and they tend to have fair hair and eye colour as well, proper caucasus.
    As a NW-N Iranian ancestry-wise, I agree with this completely.

I've remarked several times in private that, to my eyes, members like "bored" would pass in places like southern Iran. Conversely, I've lost count of the number of times I've misidentified various southern Iranians as Pakistani or northern Indian. Likewise, they've (so far) always had difficulty in placing me (their guesses included the Balkans, Turkey, "south Russia" which I assume meant the Caucasus, or Afghanistan).

I remember one very funny time as a student, where I spent the entire day with a senior, who I assumed was Punjabi based on phenotype... I didn't register their name until the end. Turned out he was a Persian from Shiraz (he never asked about my background, but Iranians don't typically think I'm Iranian for some reason*).

Having said that, the intra-national phenotype overlap is certainly stronger (i.e. southern Persians resemble northern Persians and Azeris more than they do anyone else overall). If I were to guess, the southern Iranian-NW S Asian overlap range is in the order of 15-20%.

One comment - Iranians who take umbrage with any perceived cultural or physical overlap with NW S Asians are a minority of the diaspora. Iranians in Iran have either a neutral or positive view of India and the Subcontinent. So, if you're seeing Iranians online dismissing the undeniable ties, take it from me, they're (ironic) vectors for some of the anti-Subcontinental bigotry we're seeing in the West.

* I was seeing an Iranian guy at work several months back and welcomed him to my office in Persian... Hilarious interaction. "Ah, you speak my language!" - "Yes, it's also the language of my mother" - "Wait, you're Iranian?!"

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Amber29 (01-12-2019),  Censored (01-12-2019),  kush (01-12-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-12-2019),  poi (01-12-2019),  Rahuls77 (01-12-2019),  Sapporo (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    As a NW-N Iranian ancestry-wise, I agree with this completely.

I've remarked several times in private that, to my eyes, members like "bored" would pass in places like southern Iran. Conversely, I've lost count of the number of times I've misidentified various southern Iranians as Pakistani or northern Indian. Likewise, they've (so far) always had difficulty in placing me (their guesses included the Balkans, Turkey, "south Russia" which I assume meant the Caucasus, or Afghanistan).

I remember one very funny time as a med student, where I spent the entire day with an opthamologist, who I assumed was Punjabi based on phenotype... I didn't register their name until the end. Turned out he was a Persian from Shiraz (he never asked about my background, but Iranians don't typically think I'm Iranian for some reason*).

Having said that, the intra-national phenotype overlap is certainly stronger (i.e. southern Persians resemble northern Persians and Azeris more than they do anyone else overall). If I were to guess, the southern Iranian-NW S Asian overlap range is in the order of 15-20%.

* I was seeing an Iranian guy at work several months back and welcomed him to my office in Persian... Hilarious interaction. "Ah, you speak my language!" - "Yes, it's also the language of my mother" - "Wait, you're Iranian?!"
    i do see some similarities between some iranians and northern south asians in features but from mainstream iran (NW iran) the pigmentation gap is just way too big.I was watching a funeral from Tehran was surprised to see how light Tehranis were. Only place is south asia where you can find that pigmentation in decent frequency is Pashtun/dardic population of South Asia.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to passion For This Useful Post:

DMXX (01-12-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    i do see some similarities between some iranians and northern south asians in features but from mainstream iran (NW iran) the pigmentation gap is just way too big.I was watching a funeral from Tehran was surprised to see how light Tehranis were. Only place is south asia where you can find that pigmentation in decent frequency is Pashtun/dardic population of South Asia.
    Note I specified the overlap is with southern Iranians by and large, and not with "us" northerners.

Case in point (northern Iranians are quite pale... This is me with a tan):

ForAwalesEyesOnlyDontBetrayMeBaby1.jpg

[Edit]: I see that I didn't specify southern Iranians properly, only implied it in the first paragraph, so I see why your post was made in response now.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (01-12-2019),  bol_nat (01-12-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-13-2019),  misanthropy (01-12-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-12-2019),  passion (01-12-2019),  poi (01-12-2019),  Rahuls77 (01-12-2019),  Sapporo (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

India
    Quote Originally Posted by passion View Post
    can you post some group pictures from Khatri gatherings like "all khatri association meetings" etc , it would be nice to see. Unfortunately its not possible to get birdari specific crowd pictures since society is so mixed.
    Well there are some specific group pics of them with a boon that there is near zero possibility of them being admixed with non Punjabis/mainland Indids..Infact a good representation of the original stock , the pre-'47 sort..But given the nature of recent discussions as well as the ambiguous nature of this thread , I need a green go from Mods..

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    The pictures you posted, khatris will stand out among them?
    I've encounter very few Khatris like instagramer The Mistri who looks pendu. They have very urban and polish features in comparison to us who are more rugged and raw. Same goes for Brahmins, which makes sense since both communities has been educated for hundred of years, and engaged in trade, record keeping, money lending etc making them wealthier than others. Most of these professions didn't require going out in fields.

It's a stereotype among pendus that Brahmins and Khatris are softer, it probably stems from us working physically intense jobs while they were educated enough to pick up trade or official ranks etc.

Khatris won't stand out in the pics I posted, nor Brahmins, there is actually a Khatri and a Brahmin dude in those pics lol.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

Page 386 of 394 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388 ... LastLast