Page 640 of 668 FirstFirst ... 140540590630638639640641642650 ... LastLast
Results 6,391 to 6,400 of 6677

Thread: চেহারাمنهنचेहराముఖంمخமுகம்چہرہਚਿਹਰਾ

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by 26284729292 View Post
    I agree with the majority of what you said. My own experiences are colored by my own biases and the people I've interacted with. But my larger point is that hispanics are not representative of most of the south asian pheno spectrum, especially excluding the NW, and the idea that many south asians can "pass" as hispanic is misled.

And many of my experiences come from LA, where I was born, and spending significant time in San Diego. Perhaps the LA/San Diego hispanic community is more different than the Bay Area's compared to what I previously thought.
    I guess it kinda depends on where you live and as you said their own racial identifiers, so to speak.

But my point about hispanic/south asian overlap stands.
    TBH, I don't know many people that think this. Usually it's moreso individuals who acknowledge that the two populations look distinct, but that they themselves specifically can pass as latino/hispanic. They make an exception for themselves, as usual even if it's unfounded.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-13-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3 / R0
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a2a1 / L1a1

United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    On various "anthrofora", you will commonly see people saying pardos/triracial latin Americans(mixed Amerindian, European, and African ancestry) are the ones who look most similar to South Asians compared to all other groups in the world. I don't know how accurate that is. I definitely think mestizos look distinct.

Also, I don't know if it's any different in Cali but I get the sense that the number one thing that regular south asians are mistaken as by Americans is Middle Eastern, above all else.
    I'm definitely familiar with the anthrofora trend you are alluding to. It's especially common with some Brazilian groups or other regions of Latin American where that (Euro, Native, African blend is most common). Alhough, those mixes sometimes produce a pseudo-resemblance to certain pops in North-Central India, I still think they look fairly distinct. I would agree that the most common thing a South Asian would be mistaken for in California is Middle Eastern. For some reason, many Americans seem to think the average MENA looks like someone from the Arabian Gulf and even then the features are different.
    pegasus modeling:

sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-13-2019),  kush (08-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-14-2019)

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post
    I'm definitely familiar with the anthrofora trend you are alluding to. It's especially common with some Brazilian groups or other regions of Latin American where that (Euro, Native, African blend is most common). Alhough, those mixes sometimes produce a pseudo-resemblance to certain pops in North-Central India, I still think they look fairly distinct. I would agree that the most common thing a South Asian would be mistaken for in California is Middle Eastern. For some reason, many Americans seem to think the average MENA looks like someone from the Arabian Gulf and even then the features are different.
    The reason is simple, we had two wars in the gulf, the 1991 Gulf War and the Iraq war. That's their main exposure, lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Legal fight in India for proving themselves Lord rama descendants. After royal family of jaipur, Mewar family is laying their claim
    https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mahe...-lateststories

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

what mythological animals exist in indian culture? do dragons?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Telugu
    mtDNA (M)
    J1
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1

India United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post
    Many americans think middle easterners and indians are related. They say Indian/middle eastern as if they're the same subset of people. Most people can guess south and central indians as just "indian". I think northwest indians, pakistanis are the ones that get indian/middle eastern quite often. Actual MENAs from especially west asia, levant region, north africa usually get latino or southern europe like italian. Gulf Arabs do get the standard middle eastern and people think gulf arabs and northern indians/pakistanis are similar
    Last edited by kush; 08-13-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Registered Users

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by kush View Post
    Many americans think middle easterners and indians are related. They say Indian/middle eastern as if they're the same subset of people. Most people can guess south and central indians as just "indian". I think northwest indians, pakistanis are the ones that get indian/middle eastern quite often. Actual MENAs from especially west asia, levant region, north africa usually get latino or southern europe like italian. Gulf Arabs do get the standard middle eastern and people think gulf arabs and northern indians/pakistanis are similar
    SoCal and Michigan have large West Asian populations. SoCal has a large Iranian/Armo community and Michigan a large Lebanese one. Most locals can identify them and in SoCal at least, Iranians look very different from the Chicanos there. They have a much stronger resemblance to actual Iberians , Javier Bardem and many Iberian actors to me looks quite pseudo Iranian . Outside these areas most are assumed to be Italian, Arab, Hispanic in that order. Men get the first two almost always, third sometimes. Women , Italian and Latina.
    Also keep in mind dressing makes a big difference, for most Middle America, anything with a turban, hijab, beard is Arab. Most the Iranians I hung out in my late teens/early 20s were in the guido/gino culture including myself so that involved the following ie wearing kappa suits, gelled hair , black tshirts/wifebeaters, gold chains, driving BMWs and listening to Benny Benasi/Fischerspooner all the time. This was consistent with the sort of aesthetic young Italian and Greek men in Toronto had at the time too. So what cultural aesthetic you adopt can shape your look considerably.
    Last edited by pegasus; 08-13-2019 at 08:44 AM.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-14-2019),  bol_nat (08-13-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (08-13-2019),  kush (08-13-2019),  laltota (08-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (08-14-2019),  Rahuls77 (08-15-2019),  Sapporo (08-13-2019),  tipirneni (08-13-2019)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by prashantvaidwan View Post
    Legal fight in India for proving themselves Lord rama descendants. After royal family of jaipur, Mewar family is laying their claim
    https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mahe...-lateststories
    The Mewar folk have been making this claim for some time.

But their own inscriptions say that they are descended of Vipr Guhdit (Guhadatta).

"In the Atpur Inscription of Saktikumara, dated 1034 V.S. (977 A.D.), Guhadatta, the originator of the family (prabhavah Sn-Guhila-vamsasya) , receives the epithets Viprakulanandanah, mahidevah. In the Chitorgadh Inscription of 1331 V.S. (1274 A.D.) Bappa is called a vipra"

Their gotr is Vaijavapan.
    https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/b...hapter%206.pdf

In Akbar's time-frame the story of their Brahman descent was still prevalent though with a mythological twist:
    Abul Fazl: "The chief of the state was formerly called Rawal, but for a long time past has been known as Rana. He is of the Ghelot clan and pretends a descent from Noshirwan the Just. An ancestor of this family through the vicissitudes of fortune came to Berar and was distinguished as the chief of Narnalah. About eight hundred years previous to the present time, Narnalah [Sarkar Narnalah, Berar*] was taken by an enemy ... One Bappa, a child, was carried by his mother to Mewar, and found refuge with Rajah Mandalik a Bhil ...
    a Brahman, at the beginning of their history nurtured their house, they are accounted as belonging to this caste."
    https://archive.org/stream/TheAin-i-...i-iii_djvu.txt

*Sbah of Berr.
    Its original name was Wrdtat, from Warda, the river of that name and tat, a bank. It is situated in the second climate.
    The climate and cultivation of this province are remarkably good. There are many rivers, the principal of which is called Gang Gautami called also the Godaveri.
    Narnlah is a strong fortress on a hill, containing many buildings.

Abul Fazl is writing in ~1580 so 800 years before that is 780 AD. Prior to that during the Arab invasions the Persian chiefs had fled to India and taken refuge in many locations.
    Last edited by parasar; 08-13-2019 at 05:51 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

laltota (08-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Indian

If anyone is interested, I was listening to Toda vocabulary audio files, by UCLAPhoneticsLab on YouTube, trying to look for possible Indo-Aryan vocabulary(that would support the recent northern migration hypothesis)

And indeed, it is present, but all of these terms are already present in Tamil(and by extension possibly in Irula as well), except for one term which I am unsure of.

There were some words like(very crudely transliterated) -
    - "bum/pum" (earth) likely from bhumi, bumi in Tamil
    - "pash/posh" (language) - might be a derivative of Bhasha(B and P are interchangeable at least in Tamil), baashai in Tamil
    - "mittoi" (sweetmeats) mithai in Hindi, mittai in Tamil

The one term I am unsure of was something like kophi/kofi meaning "to hide", sounds sort of like gupha(cave), again k and g are interchangeable in Tamil at least.

I have no background in linguistics whatsoever, this is a layman's observation.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to client For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (08-13-2019),  Kulin (08-13-2019),  parasar (08-13-2019),  Rahuls77 (08-15-2019)

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by kush View Post
    That is true but there's a range of perceptions depending on the region and the age/intellect of the person in question, as I said many times before. If you live in a place with a large population of Indians and Arabs its gonna be different, versus a more rural area. In rare cases you will encounter people like that guy in Kansas who shot South Indians thinking they were Iranian and in the country illegally but I think that's becoming less and less common as theres more multicultural exposure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

kush (08-13-2019)

Page 640 of 668 FirstFirst ... 140540590630638639640641642650 ... LastLast