Ethnicity
    Deccani Muslim
    Y-DNA
    E-V22 (E-L677)
    mtDNA
    M2B3

United States of America India Yemen Ethiopia
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    On another note, I feel that the supposed great overlap between gulf Arabs and south Asians is sort of overblown-while many can be quite dark, most have features that are quite alien to South Asia except perhaps the most western shifted populations.
    Yeah I don't see much overlap either, but some Malayalis still are suspect (maybe they have ancestry from Arab traders?). Like you said, Gulf Arabs have these distinct stereotypical features that laymen probably wouldn't notice (I used to not see them either), but to the trained eye, you can pick up on them. Such as deep set almond eyes, a low very fine brow ridge that sits just over the eyes, often a narrow hooked nose, a somewhat narrow head shape (South Asians in general are noticeably wider in comparison), and they have less adipose tissue in their face as well. There are people on both sides who buck the trend though.

Edit: There are some Punjabis who look like this as well. I once mistook a Punjabi kid from I think it was Delhi here for a Saudi, because there are a bunch of foreign Saudi students here.
    Last edited by misanthropy; 01-12-2019 at 10:45 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misanthropy For This Useful Post:

Kart (01-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-13-2019),  Sapporo (01-13-2019),  tipirneni (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Gondwanan
    Y-DNA
    my baby daddy's
    mtDNA
    U1a1c1d

India United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropy View Post
    Yeah I don't see much overlap either, but some Malayalis still are suspect (maybe they have ancestry from Arab traders?). Like you said, Gulf Arabs have these distinct stereotypical features that laymen probably wouldn't notice (I used to not see them either), but to the trained eye, you can pick up on them. Such as deep set almond eyes, a low very fine brow ridge that sits just over the eyes, often a narrow hooked nose, a somewhat narrow head shape (South Asians in general are noticeably wider in comparison), and they have less adipose tissue in their face as well. There are people on both sides who buck the trend though.

Edit: There are some Punjabis who look like this as well. I once mistook a Punjabi kid from I think it was Delhi here for a Saudi, because there are a bunch of foreign Saudi students here.
    Malayali muslims are known to have distinct Arab connections/culture even though many are simply converts, similar to muslims from the NW or Pakistan. A less-than-suave example of those with stereotypically gulf Arab features is a film comedian called Mamukoya. He has a narrow face and a bit of prognathism which sometimes distinguishes Muslims in our area, above all a distinct dialect/accent characteristic of mappila/malayali muslim communities.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoos For This Useful Post:

Kart (01-13-2019),  misanthropy (01-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Gondwanan
    Y-DNA
    my baby daddy's
    mtDNA
    U1a1c1d

India United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post

On another note, I feel that the supposed great overlap between gulf Arabs and south Asians is sort of overblown-while many can be quite dark, most have features that are quite alien to South Asia except perhaps the most western shifted populations.
    I think "light skin" is one of the most misleading, over-exoticized characteristics in south Asians. Skin color can be selected for in any kind of population. From what I have seen west-Asian/Indian mixes are usually dark skinned, for example Maz Jobrani's kids. wont post photos but you can get the picture by googling photos. hope I don't get chided for discussing this lol

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoos For This Useful Post:

Kart (01-13-2019),  kush (01-13-2019),  misanthropy (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    H-M52
    mtDNA
    M5a

Quote Originally Posted by Rahuls77 View Post
    Shouldn't this be the Graayeen Crowd?
    Here is me, at work with a colleague
    [ATTACH=CONFIG][/ATTACH]
    How many people wear dress like you in Indian punjab? I mostly see pant shirt in pictures.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    No one does, he is living his potohari heritage in Hindustan. Kurta pajama like the guys I posted or you posted is what you'll see in pinds.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Sapporo (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    H-M52
    mtDNA
    M5a

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    No one does, he is living his potohari heritage in Hindustan. Kurta pajama like the guys I posted or you posted is what you'll see in pinds.
    No one wear kurta pajama in our pinds. People in this picture are wearing standard shalwar kameez similar to Rahul. Pant shirt is also very rare.

nat.jpg

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bol_nat For This Useful Post:

Amber29 (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  pegasus (01-13-2019),  Rahuls77 (01-13-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    No one wear kurta pajama in our pinds. People in this picture are wearing standard shalwar kameez similar to Rahul. Pant shirt is also very rare.

nat.jpg
    Pajame used to be more loose before, but with changing fashion they've become narrow. When working in fields Chadra is worn with Kurta, but when you're at home you wear kurta pajama.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61777847@N08/5625851457
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

laltota (01-13-2019),  Sapporo (01-13-2019)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    Depends... we say grayee when someone is from same village as you. Pind and graan is also used. Gaon when someone speak urdu.
    We say basti and gaon is used too, I never heard the word grayee before. Gaon I assume is Urdu and I always assumed it was pindh in Punjabi.
    Honestly though, in regular conversation we rarely use any of these terms, we just say the name of the village/farm/area. I don't know if that is common elsewhere or not, but all farms have given names and we refer to them as a proper noun.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 01-13-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

bol_nat (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    H-M52
    mtDNA
    M5a

Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    We say basti, I never heard the word grayee before. Gaon I assume is Urdu and I always assumed it was pindh in Punjabi.
    o sada grayee eh, mean that person is from same village as us. Just graan mean pind. There is likely no equivalent of grayee in "pind", apart from saying o sade pind de. Gaon when speaking urdu. Basti is hindi word for slums? Have heard a lot in bolly movies.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bol_nat For This Useful Post:

Amber29 (01-13-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  Rahuls77 (01-13-2019)

Global Moderator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

Pakistan United States of America
    o sada grayee eh, mean that person is from same village as us. Just graan mean pind. There is likely no equivalent of grayee in "pind", apart from saying o sade pind de. Gaon when speaking urdu. Basti is hindi word for slums? Have heard a lot in bolly movies.
    I didn't know it was used in Hindi, but we don't have the negative connotation of "slum" with the word, it's just what we call a less populated area. I'm pretty sure in Kho "gram" means village or town too, which is close to "graan". Kakiasumi can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if I was saying someone was from the same village as me, we'd just say "o sada ilaqah da hn".
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 01-13-2019 at 04:04 AM.
    Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan.

Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

Amber29 (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-13-2019),  parasar (01-13-2019)

Page 389 of 405 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391399 ... LastLast