Page 390 of 394 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 3934

Thread: চেহারাمنهنचेहराముఖంمخமுகம்چہرہਚਿਹਰਾ

  1. #3891
    Registered Users
    Posts
    483
    Sex
    Location
    US/ India
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    U2b

    India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    o sada grayee eh, mean that person is from same village as us. Just graan mean pind. There is likely no equivalent of grayee in "pind", apart from saying o sade pind de. Gaon when speaking urdu. Basti is hindi word for slums? Have heard a lot in bolly movies.
    I have only heard basti and kholi in Mumbai. The hindi heartland and punjbai/ haryanvis I have not heard saying this word. Gaon is used in Hindi, pind in Punjab.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

     bol_nat (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-13-2019)

  3. #3892
    Registered Users
    Posts
    787
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a (R-M124)
    mtDNA
    U4b1a1a1

    Jammu and Kashmir India
    Quote Originally Posted by bol_nat View Post
    o sada grayee eh, mean that person is from same village as us. Just graan mean pind. There is likely no equivalent of grayee in "pind", apart from saying o sade pind de. Gaon when speaking urdu. Basti is hindi word for slums? Have heard a lot in bolly movies.
    we say "graan" and "grayee" in Dogri. we don't use "pind"
    "He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee"

    - Nietzsche

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bored For This Useful Post:

     Amber29 (01-13-2019),  bol_nat (01-13-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-13-2019),  Rahuls77 (01-13-2019)

  5. #3893
    Registered Users
    Posts
    803
    Sex
    Location
    Loe Banr
    Y-DNA
    H-M52
    mtDNA
    M5a

    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    I didn't know it was used in Hindi, but we don't have the negative connotation of "slum" with the word, it's just what we call a less populated area. I'm pretty sure in Kho "gram" means village or town too, which is close to "graan". Kakiasumi can correct me if I'm wrong.
    One have to add "katchi" basti for slums. Maybe basti just mean village in hindi.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bol_nat For This Useful Post:

     khanabadoshi (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019)

  7. #3894
    Registered Users
    Posts
    803
    Sex
    Location
    Loe Banr
    Y-DNA
    H-M52
    mtDNA
    M5a

    Quote Originally Posted by bored View Post
    we say "graan" and "grayee" in Dogri. we don't use "pind"
    We too use grayee/gran in our punjabi. Actually there quite a few villages around us that that have graan at the end of their names.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bol_nat For This Useful Post:

     bored (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-13-2019),  Rahuls77 (01-13-2019)

  9. #3895
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,402
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA
    M3a2

    India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    I didn't know it was used in Hindi, but we don't have the negative connotation of "slum" with the word, it's just what we call a less populated area. I'm pretty sure in Kho "gram" means village or town too, which is close to "graan". Kakiasumi can correct me if I'm wrong.

    Also, if I was saying someone was from the same village as me, we'd just say "o sada ilaqah da hn".
    If someone is from nearby village, we just say "Eh saade ilaaqe da aa". But when it's same village we say "aapne hi pind da aa".

    Graan is used in powadhi speaking areas nearby Chandigarh, from Ropar to Ambala. You'll find villages mear Chandigarh with Graan at the end like "nava graan" (new village).
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

    Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

     Amber29 (01-13-2019),  bol_nat (01-13-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  Sapporo (01-13-2019)

  11. #3896
    Registered Users
    Posts
    483
    Sex
    Location
    US/ India
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    U2b

    India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    If someone is from nearby village, we just say "Eh saade ilaaqe da aa". But when it's same village we say "aapne hi pind da aa".

    Graan is used in powadhi speaking areas nearby Chandigarh, from Ropar to Ambala. You'll find villages mear Chandigarh with Graan at the end like "nava graan" (new village).
    Graan comes from Grahmeen. It is used in Sanskrit and Hindi heartland, used to indicate something related to a village. For Sanskrit it was used to describe the country folks/ things/ places, sometimes with a negative connotation. (I am rusty on the Sanskrit).

    ग्रामीण adj. grAmINa uncouth
    ग्रामीण adj. grAmINa rustic
    ग्रामीण adj. grAmINa vulgar
    ग्रामीण adj. grAmINa rude
    ग्रामीणाः m. grAmINAH villagers
    ग्रामिन् adj. grAmin pertaining to a village
    ग्रामिन् adj. grAmin rustic
    ग्रामिन् adj. grAmin surrounded by a village or community or race
    ग्रामिन् m. grAmin villager
    ग्रामिन् m. grAmin peasant
    ग्रामीण adj. grAmINa chromatic
    ग्रामीण adj. grAmINa produced in or peculiar to a village
    ग्रामीण m. grAmINa crow
    ग्रामीण m. grAmINa dog
    ग्रामीण m. grAmINa peasant
    ग्रामीण m. grAmINa villager
    ग्रामिणी f. grAmiNI Indigo plant
    Edit: Think of the original usage more similar to country bumpkin, or rural simpleton type meaning.
    Last edited by agent_lime; 01-13-2019 at 04:46 AM.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

     bol_nat (01-13-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019),  poi (01-13-2019),  Sapporo (01-13-2019)

  13. #3897
    Registered Users
    Posts
    197
    Sex

    Pakistani boy from Chitral , typical facial structure among North Pakistani kids imo

    he is from this article

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.2c4e106af5a0




  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passion For This Useful Post:

     kakiasumi (01-13-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-13-2019),  laltota (01-13-2019)

  15. #3898
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    2,978
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L657>Y6
    mtDNA
    M30

    Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    Graan comes from Grahmeen. It is used in Sanskrit and Hindi heartland, used to indicate something related to a village. For Sanskrit it was used to describe the country folks/ things/ places, sometimes with a negative connotation. (I am rusty on the Sanskrit).



    Edit: Think of the original usage more similar to country bumpkin, or rural simpleton type meaning.
    In formal Nepali (Sanskrit influenced), gramin is used to refer to village and related activities. In general, village is seen as backwards but the word itself doesn't have any negative connotations.
    Hidden Content
    Global25 Web Runner - Scaled - Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Global25 Web Runner - Unscaled - Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    To include your G25 coordinates and/or sponsorship support - email: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    LukaszM's Eurogenes K36 PCA: Hidden Content | Hidden Content

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

     pnb123 (01-13-2019)

  17. #3899
    Registered Users
    Posts
    483
    Sex
    Location
    US/ India
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    U2b

    India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    In formal Nepali (Sanskrit influenced), gramin is used to refer to village and related activities. In general, village is seen as backwards but the word itself doesn't have any negative connotations.
    If you look at the copy from the Sanskrit dictionary, grahmeen also means uncouth, vulgar, rude, crow, dog. My totally speculative guess is that it was used to make fun of villagers by the Indo Aryans. It doesn't have negative connotations in UP, Bihar either just means rural for the most part.

  18. #3900
    Gold Member Class
    Posts
    2,978
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L657>Y6
    mtDNA
    M30

    Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    If you look at the copy from the Sanskrit dictionary, grahmeen also means uncouth, vulgar, rude, crow, dog. My totally speculative guess is that it was used to make fun of villagers by the Indo Aryans. It doesn't have negative connotations in UP, Bihar either just means rural for the most part.
    The whole region was "IndoAryan" speaking and all non-Sanskrit speech(apabhrams), whether rural or urban, and was considered degraded, vulgur, etc.

    I think what you say make sense, but would probably term "Indo Aryans" as Sanskrit speakers.
    Hidden Content
    Global25 Web Runner - Scaled - Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Global25 Web Runner - Unscaled - Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    To include your G25 coordinates and/or sponsorship support - email: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    LukaszM's Eurogenes K36 PCA: Hidden Content | Hidden Content

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

     agent_lime (01-13-2019)

Page 390 of 394 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-17-2018, 03:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •