Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large amount of Scandinavian?

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Belarus Lithuania Kazakhstan Ukraine

Large amount of Scandinavian?

Im a bit confused by a surprisingly high Scandinavian %. I was expecting Russian (East Euro and Baltic) and Irish and maybe some other euro group in a small dose. However I got 43% for both Russian and Irish leaving 14% for Scandinavian... I know that itís not perfect but should I look into this? On ancestry I got 0-6% for Scandinavia and 0-6% for Finland/NW Russia which also ventures into Nordic territory.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to czl For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

How well does it reflect what you know about your ancestry and to what extent do you have gaps?

Both Ancestry and MyHeritage often give Scandinavian for English or German (I also think MyHeritage often classifies English as Irish, etc.). If you don't have any records of Scandinavian but do have English or German that is not showing up, it could be that. It also wouldn't surprise me if there's some overlap between the Russian (because of Baltic) and Scandinavian sometimes, I just haven't seen as many Russian results.

On the other hand, if you have unknowns, it could be real Scandinavian.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018),  wtneanderthal (07-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

I think that it may've picked it up in supplement for some of the missing Irish. The Russian side has no gaps except for potentially my great-grandfather who was a cossack and may've descended from West Asia. The Irish side is sorta a huge gap, I know for sure I should be closer to 50% as well, I'd expect maybe a Scandinavian ancestor perhaps but not that high in %, maybe somewhere around the 6 mark, If there ever was one which at this point I'm starting to doubt. Yeah the overlap could've also been a factor, I feel like that happened in Ancestrydna and in my gedmatch which showed a very high % of Atlantic and North Sea.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to czl For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    German

With regard to the relatively high amount of Scandinavian ethnicity for German Myheritage customers, I can confirm this. According to their results, I am 80 % North and West European and 20 % Scandinavian.

From what (little) I know about my family history, all my ancestors where German and had been living in Germany from time immemorial. That's definitely the case for my mother's side who came from a rather rural part of North Hesse which is in Central Germany. I am not aware of any family connection to Scandinavia whatsoever.

The country breakdown for my DNA matches is as follows:

USA: 430
    Germany: 98
    Netherlands: 24
    Great Britain: 17
    Australia: 13
    Canada: 12
    Denmark: 7
    Norway: 5
    Belgium: 4
    Finland: 3
    New Zealand: 3
    Switzerland: 2
    Sweden: 2
    Chile: 1
    Venezuela: 1
    Spain: 1
    Zambia: 1
    Ireland: 1
    Brazil: 1
    Russia: 1

I also uploaded my DNA results to FTDNA where the results would appear to be a bit more nuanced (given their larger customer base, I guess). But FTDNA estimates my ethnicity wit 88 % British Isles, and there is no known British connection in my family either.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wtneanderthal For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018),  msmarjoribanks (07-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Country Number of matches
    USA
    Great Britain
    Australia
    Ireland
    Canada
    Finland
    New Zealand
    Netherlands
    Germany
    Sweden
    Norway
    Denmark
    All from my dads side because my moms family lives in Russia and they donít do this kinda stuff, plus she and both her parents are only children

10. The Following User Says Thank You to czl For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Looks like the information that you are half Irish is probably pretty good.

If Russians moved to the other countries and tested, it could be from that side too -- a lot of MyHeritage matches are quite distant. I'd guess the Finnish matches might be related to the Russian somehow. But you don't know what the tester's ancestry is, just where they now live.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-U106 S497
    mtDNA
    K1a

The results of my DNA test are not accurate at all
    I did my genealogy and all my ancestors on 4 centuries are Breton (Brittany)

How can I get 29.9% Scandinavian and 26.7% Iberian? (and 0% in French!)

I downloaded the raw file and obtained much more convincing results (and very different) on Gedmatch and others.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trelvern For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mťtis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Trelvern View Post

I downloaded the raw file and obtained much more convincing results (and very different) on Gedmatch and others.
    Don't worry about it, their Scandinavian category can be very very overestimated. I have a friend who is 12.5% Swedish and MyHeritage gives him 45%. 23andme assigned him a much more reasonable 6%. MyHeritage gives my dad 23% Scandinavian, with no Scandinavian ancestry of any kind outside of very old ancestry from Britain and the Orkneys. 23andme gives him around 1.5% Scandinavian for comparison. Their Iberian % seems to be representing French ancestry a lot of the time, it seemed to be reasonably close to the amount of paper trail French ancestry for my family. What'd you get for Ireland/Scotland and England?
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trelvern View Post

Have you tested anywhere else?
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R1b L21

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-U106 S497
    mtDNA
    K1a

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    Have you tested anywhere else?

I recently transferred my raw file to living dna as part of their research on France.
    As I am close to certain British regions I would be more interested to know if I am more Devon or Cornwall for example.

I am waiting for the results.

My Heritage answered me.
    They say that it is almost impossible to distinguish Scandinavians, Germans, Anglo Saxons ... All Europeans from the North West. So why do they do it?

Europe presents them with problems and they do not have much, I think, of French references.
    Last edited by Trelvern; 08-20-2018 at 04:38 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trelvern For This Useful Post:

JonikW (08-20-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast