Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

My family's results on MyHeritage are all over the place, but none of us get excess Scandinavian. My sister and dad don't get any (my dad isn't Scandinavian but my sister should be about an eighth and used to have 43% on Ancestry, and continues to have 20% Norwegian, 7% Swedish on Ancestry). I get a little less Scandinavian than I probably have, but extra N&W Europe and Baltic (my mom and sister get high Irish, etc., mine is likely low). My mom's Scandinavian looks right, but it doesn't give her German or English, which is odd (excess Irish, etc., and then a bunch of odd small percentages).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (09-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Ireland Belarus Kazakhstan Cameroon
    Quote Originally Posted by boilermeschew827 View Post
    It would really depend on your paper trail. I looked back at the beginning of the thread and it looks like you had almost equal parts Finnish and Scandinavian on Ancestry? Finnish is more likely through your Russian paper trail. My grandfather is likely Ingrian Finn, but the majority of his ancestry is Eastern European/Baltic and about 20% Finnish, no Scandinavian picked up for him. My paper trail ends with my great grandfather unfortunately, for now at least. He was sentenced to a labor camp in 1937 and some or maybe all of my grandfather's records were burned and we have no info on his mother. We have not received updated Ancestry results yet, but I am curious to see how our results change.

The eras I was referring to are pretty long ago, so I think it's less likely that any Scandinavian you have is through your Russian paper trail.

It was stated earlier in this thread that MyHeritage confuses or mistakes English/Irish/German with Scandinavian and my results demonstrate that (no Irish paper trail, but documented Scandinavian and German paper trails and more accurate results on other tests). That may be the scenario in your case as well. I'm not as knowledgeable with British/Irish results, but I think those with Irish heritage do show Scandinavian admixtures.
    I got 0-6 Scandinavia and 0-6 Finland/Nw Russia on ancestry. If there is Scandinavian dna on my fathers side, the unknown side, I think itd have to be miniscular, like 1/32 and below. I found potentially a scandavian surname that would make me 1/32. Yeah that and all the Iberian dna as well gets mixed up, so many overlaps in Ancestry, and other companies. He moved to Novogorod I think, after he left Kazakhstan where he was born. The woman he married was Jewish so I fail to see a connection there, I just thought potentially the dna could be detected from that region. Im starting to lean towards that the Scandinavian is just influence over time and maybe, just maybe something like 1/32.
    Final Ancestry Paper Trail Tally:
    25% Russian, 17.6% Irish, 16.4% Ashkenazi Jewish (12.5% from Russia and 3.9% is West Yiddish) 12.5% Belarusian, 7.3% French (including 3.125% French-Canadian) 6.25% Kazakh, 6.25% African, 6.25% Northern Irish, 1.5625% Welsh, 0.78125% Uzbek.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L365
    mtDNA
    H1c3

Poland Pomerania Denmark France Sweden Russia Imperial Germany
    With the AncestryDNA update, my grandfather did receive some Sweden. I was not expecting that, but given the history of Russia, Finland and Sweden it kind of makes sense.

@czl, did you receive the update?

Registered Users
    Sex

I did! I got 3% Swedish which lines up with what I found on my parental side. So it is 1/32 after all I guess. Sweden also scraps Norway Denmark and Germany by the way so it could be from one of those places. The totals I received on the Russian side were pretty expected. A disgustingly large amount of Baltic dna for somebody who lacks it and a crazy range for the Slavic DNA. In the v2 hack Finland/NW Russia was coded as Volga-Ural so now that I saw that I’m actually think it was my Kazakh dna being detected, it fit the 1/16 or 6% amount as well. In this update the Eastern Europe and Russia regions encompass most of Kazakhstan so that’s where it went.
    25% Russian, 17.6% Irish, 16.4% Ashkenazi Jewish (12.5% from Russia and 3.9% is West Yiddish) 12.5% Belarusian, 7.3% French (including 3.125% French-Canadian) 6.25% Kazakh, 6.25% African, 6.25% Northern Irish, 1.5625% Welsh, 0.78125% Uzbek.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to czl For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (09-13-2018), Nibelung (09-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    U152: A9024/BY3644
    mtDNA
    H1c3b 'Helga'

England Wales
    I get an outrageous 51.1% Scandinavian with one kit and 47.3% with another. I have no Scandinavian in my paper trail. I have uploaded my LivingDNA data to see what that gives
    Last edited by Solothurn; 09-13-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    LivingDNA link: Hidden Content

Ancestry:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 50%
    Northern England, Ireland and Scotland 39%
    Norway 5%
    Sweden 4%
    Germanic Europe 2%

My known English ancestral lines:

U152: A9024/BY3644 @ Vallum Aelium
    H1c3b Salford (mother)
    U4a3a Biddick, Durham (paternal grandfather's mother)
    U198 Stanhope, Durham (paternal gg grandfather)
    K1a-T195C! Wigan, Lancs (paternal grandmother)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Solothurn For This Useful Post:

sktibo (09-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mtis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
    I get an outrageous 51.1% Scandinavian with one kit and 47.3% with another. I have no Scandinavian in my paper trail. I have uploaded my LivingDNA data to see what that gives
    you are not alone, I've seen a good bit of that. my Dad gets a huge amount of Scandinavian too. No known ancestry but 23andme has him at 1.6% or something and ancestry has him at 10% sweden
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English 28.12%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Welsh 3.125%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Solothurn (09-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Ancestry did a really nice job of limiting my Scandinavian dna from 0-12% to 3%. They eliminated that awful Volga-Ural catergoey that for the longest time was mislabeled and giving me headaches. It was never officially even released under that, I got it through the v2 hack. Europe west number stayed the same into Germanic Europe. I reckon that it picked up my West Yiddish/German Jewish dna and put it in there as well as my Swiss dna.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    H1c3b 'Helga'

England Wales
    Ancestry updated my Scandinavian from 28% to 4% Sweden and 5% Norway!

Anyway back to MyHeritage LivingDNA upload complete and they revealed my Scandinavian.....

41.7%
    Last edited by Solothurn; 09-14-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Ancestry:

Norway 5%
    Sweden 4%
    Germanic Europe 2%

H1c3b Salford (mother)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solothurn For This Useful Post:

MacEochaidh (09-18-2018), sktibo (09-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic+Celtic
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2
    mtDNA
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami
    53 % Scandinavian on 23andme and 80% on myheritage.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (09-14-2018), Solothurn (09-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    H1c3b 'Helga'

England Wales
    23andMe give me 6.6% Scandinavian. I do have 14cM+ cM matches from Scandinavia on FTDNA but I suspect by my LivingDNA results NPEs are my main matches

Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    you are not alone, I've seen a good bit of that. my Dad gets a huge amount of Scandinavian too. No known ancestry but 23andme has him at 1.6% or something and ancestry has him at 10% sweden
    Last edited by Solothurn; 09-14-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Ancestry:

Norway 5%
    Sweden 4%
    Germanic Europe 2%

H1c3b Salford (mother)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Solothurn For This Useful Post:

sktibo (09-14-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123