Nationality
    Canadian
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post

Is Makadia also used by Brahmins? I’ve asked someone I know personally and they’ve stated it’s used by both Patidars and Brahmins. What about Kelkar?
    I'm not exactly sure then about Makadia. Usually Gujarati Brahmins and Patidars use generic surnames notable to their caste. Kelkar is a Marathi surname, and there's thousands of them, but as per a member here, who has experience living in Maharastha, it is used by Konkanastha Brahmins of the Konkan coast of Maharastha/Goa.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-05-2019),  client (08-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Indian

Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    I'm not exactly sure then about Makadia. Usually Gujarati Brahmins and Patidars use generic surnames notable to their caste. Kelkar is a Marathi surname, and there's thousands of them, but as per a member here, who has experience living in Maharastha, it is used by Konkanastha Brahmins of the Konkan coast of Maharastha/Goa.
    I checked again and read that Kelkar is apparently used by Marathas as well in a blog called 'real maratha history'. One of the comments however stated that it is (also?) a Chitpavan Brahmin surname, as I said. The blog also lists surnames like "Kulkarni", "Joshi" as surnames used by Marathas. These surnames I would typically associate with Brahmins, for obvious reasons - "Kula+karanika" = family + maintainer of accounts/records and Joshi = Referring to practicing Astrology/Astronomy.
    But these surnames may simply be titles bestowed upon people appointed by rulers to do this work.

Kelkar is also used by Goud Saraswat Brahmins (Konkani speaking Brahmins) apparently.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to client For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (08-05-2019),  bmoney (08-05-2019),  Kulin (08-05-2019),  Sapporo (08-05-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234