Thread: Is it worth getting for British/Irish results?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British/Irish/Chinese
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA (P)
    O1b1a (Chinese)
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1g1

New Zealand England China Scotland Ireland Northern Ireland

Is it worth getting for British/Irish results?

I've taken other tests and am curious whether Living DNA would illuminate or muddy my dna results.

Based on my results so far (see signature) I'm a mix of northern-west English, Southern English, Irish and Scots/Ulster, and 1/4 Chinese.

I get the the average Germanic/Scandanavian mix.

Anyone have any recommendations, i.e. did your results match with your paper trail. My ancestry dna result said I have an east Midlands migration, which made me fairly sceptical given it's about 1 of the only areas in England i have no known ancestors based on the paper trail.

Anyway, any insights would be appreciated.
    PAPER: Eng 50 - Ire 12.5 - Scot 12.5 - China 25.
    23&ME: GB-Ire 53 - Scan 9 - Fra & Gr 11- NW Eur 17 - China 20 - SE Asia 3
    MYHERITAGE Ire-Sco 68-Scand 9- Sth Chinese 20- Filipino 2
    k36: NE_Eng 35.6- Scotland 35.6-Dai,10.4- Han Taiwan/She 10
    LivingDNA: SCO/N IRE 18- IRE 3- Aberdeen 9- NW ENG 3- York 4- Lincoln 2.3- Cen ENG 2- South ENG 3- WAL Border 2- E ANG 2- SE ENG, 2- N York 1-Germanic 24- FIN 3- East Asian 24

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jelliedsoup For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (07-18-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Overall I was very happy with Living DNA results, although in the beginning nearly 2 years ago, it was arguably a Beta product, it is maturing now, and seems to be going in the correct scientific direction.

New datasets are to be added for Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Germany, possibly others in the next few years, also very soon it will add its family matching.

I knew I was mostly Welsh, with little Irish, Scots, And Cornish, and I had just over 60% of the Welsh regions, with some Scottish,Irish and Cornish, I also had some unexpected Northern English which includes about 10% Yorkshire which I do not know anything about.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

kujira692 (07-20-2018)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Norse-Angle
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z284
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a5a

Northumberland Mercia
    Quote Originally Posted by jelliedsoup View Post
    I've taken other tests and am curious whether Living DNA would illuminate or muddy my dna results.

Based on my results so far (see signature) I'm a mix of northern-west English, Southern English, Irish and Scots/Ulster, and 1/4 Chinese.

I get the the average Germanic/Scandanavian mix.

Anyone have any recommendations, i.e. did your results match with your paper trail. My ancestry dna result said I have an east Midlands migration, which made me fairly sceptical given it's about 1 of the only areas in England i have no known ancestors based on the paper trail.

Anyway, any insights would be appreciated.
    On paper, you already know that you are half-English, a quarter-Scotch-Irish and a quarter-Chinese. You basically fit a Hong Kong profile. What is it that you expect to find? Are you just looking for a regional breakdown of your ancestors, to see how they funnel into one place, i.e. you? If you find something else with Living DNA, what can you do with it? They get my majority recent British Isles ancestry right at about 91.2%, but completely miss my Western Europe and instead, give the Balkans at 7.6% and Subcontinent at 1.2%. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to decipher from this. I know that I have ancestors from Württemberg, Bayern and Österreich, which includes Danubian heritage, so that may explain the Balkans, but I have no way of knowing how that happened. Still less, am I to understand the manner in which I have Subcontinent ancestry, unless it's Armenian and from the Crusades alongside Aegean Greek. Otherwise, I'm thinking of Xerxes the Great in Greece or Alexander the Great in Persia. I can accept Crusades-era DNA, perhaps from Byzantine refugees in 1453, but it seems too far back to detect ancient Greek and Persian, while I'm certain that I have no ancestors from Cyprus and India in the British Empire. Furthermore, since Ancestry DNA only shows British Isles at 95-96% and Norwegian at 4-5%, when I know of both, with the latter being my R1a-Z284 Y-DNA, it confuses me about my Living DNA results. Living DNA is great for British Isles subregions, so how could they get my results outside of them so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Overall I was very happy with Living DNA results, although in the beginning nearly 2 years ago, it was arguably a Beta product, it is maturing now, and seems to be going in the correct scientific direction.

New datasets are to be added for Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Germany, possibly others in the next few years, also very soon it will add its family matching.

I knew I was mostly Welsh, with little Irish, Scots, And Cornish, and I had just over 60% of the Welsh regions, with some Scottish,Irish and Cornish, I also had some unexpected Northern English which includes about 10% Yorkshire which I do not know anything about.
    If Living DNA was a Beta product and is supposed to update results and connect everyone by DNA, they're not doing a good job. They swell me up with Brexit pride, by making sure I have affirmation of my mostly Mercia-Wessex and Northumbria family tree under the Caution tab, with Ireland and Scotland masked in the unassigned British and Irish category, but that doesn't mean I'm in denial of more relevant European DNA near Brussels, Straßburg and the Hague, that I'm wowed to somehow get Greece and Afghanistan instead. It's funny how I know of descent from the former Carolingian Holy Roman Empire, because of colonial period ancestry from fellow subjects of our French, Dutch and German kings, yet they all seem to disappear on account of my beliefs of sovereignty, showing more global places, as if I could be closer to more distant folks. Either that, or my roots on the shores of the North Sea, are too close to the Isles to not be grouped together--still doesn't explain 8.8% outside this sphere. I'm only seeing my immediate family on there, compared to Ancestry DNA.
    Last edited by Björnsson; 10-29-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Nationality
    Norse-Angle
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Z284
    mtDNA (M)
    K2a5a

Northumberland Mercia
    In my last post, I meant to write "Ulster-Scot" and as for the politics, that's just taking the piss, since LDNA declares their global vision, yet cannot even show my DNA relationship with Continental nations immediately outside the Isles and even my Celtic fringe disappears in Unassigned backwaters, before my English subregions. If the Wogs begin at Calais, what does that mean for Aegean and Pashtun? Am I supposed to swoon over Ancient Greece and revel in the Aryan master race? ;P Since I'm more Aegean than Pashtun, Alexander defeats Darius all over again. Hmm?
    Last edited by Björnsson; 10-31-2019 at 03:45 PM.