Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Y-111 results came in, pretty underwhelming

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,023
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2p

    England Italy Sweden Netherlands

    Y-111 results came in, pretty underwhelming

    Received my Y111 test results today. Says I am E-M35, from what I can tell is pretty broad, and I need to order more tests to narrow this down.

    Why is it that WeGene, Morley's tool, 23and Me and Living DNA all put me in E-v13? I thought the point of this Y test was to hone in on the accurate haplogroup? Am I now going to get nickled and dimed to get the right answer? I dont feel like throwing $39 at each SNP test just to figure this out, is there any way to narrow this down a bit and not spend a fortune? Ive already spent $$$ on this test and basically got nothing out of it.

    Admittedly I am a bit lost and overwhelmed by this so I am probably overlooking something in my haste to get my money's worth...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

     [email protected] (07-18-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    180
    Sex
    Omitted

    Hello, if you have not done yet, I suggest you join the E-M35 project at FTDNA, we are always happy to give advice and can maybe make a deeper prediction based on your STR. Apparently you already knew you were V13, if you wanted to narrow that down a V13 SNP pack or a Big Y would have been a good option (and off course still is). Since you have to upgrade to 111 STR to do a Big Y anyways you can look at it as a good stepping stone.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rafc For This Useful Post:

     digital_noise (07-18-2018),  msmarjoribanks (07-19-2018),  [email protected] (07-18-2018)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,023
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2p

    England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by rafc View Post
    Hello, if you have not done yet, I suggest you join the E-M35 project at FTDNA, we are always happy to give advice and can maybe make a deeper prediction based on your STR. Apparently you already knew you were V13, if you wanted to narrow that down a V13 SNP pack or a Big Y would have been a good option (and off course still is). Since you have to upgrade to 111 STR to do a Big Y anyways you can look at it as a good stepping stone.
    Can I ask you a question? Is E-M35 just a higher level (upstream?) of E-V13? So if all the places I mentioned gave e-v13, i would assume that it would not be a waste of time/money to do that test? Should I even bother with the E-M35 test?

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    180
    Sex
    Omitted

    Yes, E-M35 is upstream of V13, and testing either is a waste of money since you already know you are positive. Furthermore these two SNPs would cost you $78, while the V13 SNP pack gets you a 160 SNPs (including M35 & V13) for $119.

  7. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,023
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2p

    England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Sorry, this is all a bit overwhelming...where is the E-V13 pack thats $119? All I see is the E-V13 snp for $39

  8. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    978
    Sex
    Location
    South Wales
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

    Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Received my Y111 test results today. Says I am E-M35, from what I can tell is pretty broad, and I need to order more tests to narrow this down.

    Why is it that WeGene, Morley's tool, 23and Me and Living DNA all put me in E-v13? I thought the point of this Y test was to hone in on the accurate haplogroup? Am I now going to get nickled and dimed to get the right answer? I dont feel like throwing $39 at each SNP test just to figure this out, is there any way to narrow this down a bit and not spend a fortune? Ive already spent $$$ on this test and basically got nothing out of it.

    Admittedly I am a bit lost and overwhelmed by this so I am probably overlooking something in my haste to get my money's worth...
    I understand your frustration actually, and testing with FTDNA, You have to start somewhere, normally Y37.
    I think somehow it should be more clear what your buying is an STR test, not an SNP test, but then again you already know your SNP albeit an old snp.
    It’s a shame you couldn’t just jump straight to the Big Y, at least with that you get everything STR and all the known snp’s.
    But I think the price comes down once you have bought the Y111, if I was you wait until the summer sale, normally in August/September if you want to go down that route, but it’s not really cheap.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

  9. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,023
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2p

    England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I understand your frustration actually, and testing with FTDNA, You have to start somewhere, normally Y37.
    I think somehow it should be more clear what your buying is an STR test, not an SNP test, but then again you already know your SNP albeit an old snp.
    It’s a shame you couldn’t just jump straight to the Big Y, at least with that you get everything STR and all the known snp’s.
    But I think the price comes down once you have bought the Y111, if I was you wait until the summer sale, normally in August/September if you want to go down that route, but it’s not really cheap.
    The upgrade price is $449. Honestly, Im a bit disappointed with how this was offered and presented. The onus is on me to educate myself prior to purchase but the fact that a free online tool provided deeper analysis than this is pretty lame. These $39 snp packs are like micro-transactions but cost $39...

    Anyways, I dont want to blindly throw money at this so before they get another cent out of me I need to figure this out a bit more.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

     [email protected] (07-19-2018)

  11. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    978
    Sex
    Location
    South Wales
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

    Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    The upgrade price is $449. Honestly, Im a bit disappointed with how this was offered and presented. The onus is on me to educate myself prior to purchase but the fact that a free online tool provided deeper analysis than this is pretty lame. These $39 snp packs are like micro-transactions but cost $39...

    Anyways, I dont want to blindly throw money at this so before they get another cent out of me I need to figure this out a bit more.
    Yes I think that’s a sound idea.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

  12. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    598

    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    The upgrade price is $449. Honestly, Im a bit disappointed with how this was offered and presented. The onus is on me to educate myself prior to purchase but the fact that a free online tool provided deeper analysis than this is pretty lame. These $39 snp packs are like micro-transactions but cost $39...

    Anyways, I dont want to blindly throw money at this so before they get another cent out of me I need to figure this out a bit more.
    If I were you I would wait until you have enough money for Big Y. I’ll tell you why based on my own experience and regret. When I transferred my Natgeo raw data a few years back prior to the new Helix version I was assigned haplogroup I-Z2040 by FTDNA which has a TMRCA of 3800 years. I decided to go the “cheaper” route and spent $39 to guess on I-Z382. It was a lucky guess. I guessed two more times incorrectly for lower subclades so that’s an additional $78. I then guessed correctly again on I-S26361 for $39. I then guessed incorrectly again for another $39. I then guessed for $18 correctly at YSEQ and then incorrectly for $18. Then for free FTDNA assigned me one lower subclade to I-FGC24357 which has a TMRCA of 2000 years. Total spent was $231 to only subclade down 1800 years.

    I know someone else who purchased Big Y and was also assigned to I-FGC24357. Difference is though Big Y discovered more SNPs in his data and as more men test his subclades will become more recent while mine won’t. So the moral of my story is that in the short term you might not learn a lot more immediately by doing Big Y and if you get lucky guessing you might save some money going the $39 or $18 route. However, in hindsight I wish I would have purchased Big Y for all of the future matches I might have gotten many years down the road.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

     C J Wyatt III (07-20-2018),  digital_noise (07-20-2018),  [email protected] (07-20-2018)

  14. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    180
    Sex
    Omitted

    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Sorry, this is all a bit overwhelming...where is the E-V13 pack thats $119? All I see is the E-V13 snp for $39
    Upgrade>advanced tests>snp packs>V13, ignore the warning if you're V13

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-28-2019, 03:20 PM
  2. E-M5021, pretty lost in translation..
    By dudeissick in forum E1b-M215
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM
  3. Gedmatch Admixture help? Pretty please?
    By Kdckaw in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-10-2017, 01:33 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-11-2017, 06:21 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-29-2017, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •