Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The L51 SNP Block - Revisited in 2018

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    149
    Sex
    Location
    Britain
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b DF27>FGC17112
    mtDNA (M)
    V

    The L51 SNP Block - Revisited in 2018

    I am trying to understand the current 2018 thinking of the composition of the L51 block in terms of the equivalent mutations that comprise that block.

    The table below lists my understanding of the possible known mutations in the block together with their synonyms and if they are included on the FTDNA tree, the ISOGG tree and the Yfull tree as L51 equivalents.

    L51.jpg

    If you click on the table it will display bigger.

    So the three different trees show a total of 6 mutations in this block between them. Of the 6 mutations the FTDNA tree lists 4, the ISOGG tree lists 2 and the YFull tree lists 5. The only mutation all three sites list is L51 itself. FTDNA and Yfull agree on PF6414, PF655 and Y410.

    ISOGG includes CTS8595 but the other two do not.
    Yfull include FGC39 but the other two do not.

    None of the three sites seem to report only any more complex findings like the ZZ series that Alex Williamson looks for in the P312 descendant part of the tree. I don't know if it's just a case that no one has been searching for these more complex mutations within the L51 but or if they have looked and there are simply none there. Also I don't know if any fairly stable indells have been found in the block.

    Finally I would have expected that the newer chromium long read technology would have found more mutations in this block and others like it in the earlier subclades of R1b but I have not seen any reports on any such mutations named and placed as yet.

    Does anyone have any insights or updates into newer findings in the block or agree / disagree with any of the findings I listed in the table above.


    Earl.
    Last edited by Earl Davis; 07-19-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: If you click on the table it will display bigger.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl Davis For This Useful Post:

     R.Rocca (07-19-2018),  razyn (07-19-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,565
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152+L2+FGC10543
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1-T152C!

    United States of America Italy 1861-1946 Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Davis View Post
    I am trying to understand the current 2018 thinking of the composition of the L51 block in terms of the equivalent mutations that comprise that block.

    The table below lists my understanding of the possible known mutations in the block together with their synonyms and if they are included on the FTDNA tree, the ISOGG tree and the Yfull tree as L51 equivalents.

    L51.jpg

    If you click on the table it will display bigger.

    So the three different trees show a total of 6 mutations in this block between them. Of the 6 mutations the FTDNA tree lists 4, the ISOGG tree lists 2 and the YFull tree lists 5. The only mutation all three sites list is L51 itself. FTDNA and Yfull agree on PF6414, PF655 and Y410.

    ISOGG includes CTS8595 but the other two do not.
    Yfull include FGC39 but the other two do not.

    None of the three sites seem to report only any more complex findings like the ZZ series that Alex Williamson looks for in the P312 descendant part of the tree. I don't know if it's just a case that no one has been searching for these more complex mutations within the L51 but or if they have looked and there are simply none there. Also I don't know if any fairly stable indells have been found in the block.

    Finally I would have expected that the newer chromium long read technology would have found more mutations in this block and others like it in the earlier subclades of R1b but I have not seen any reports on any such mutations named and placed as yet.

    Does anyone have any insights or updates into newer findings in the block or agree / disagree with any of the findings I listed in the table above.


    Earl.
    As I reported previously, Y410 is a train wreck and appears in many other haplogroups. For the purpose of tree building, it is junk.

    See here: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post160096
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543, Pietro della Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

     Earl Davis (07-19-2018),  Nibelung (07-19-2018),  rms2 (07-20-2018)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    149
    Sex
    Location
    Britain
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b DF27>FGC17112
    mtDNA (M)
    V

    Quote Originally Posted by R.Rocca View Post
    As I reported previously, Y410 is a train wreck and appears in many other haplogroups. For the purpose of tree building, it is junk.

    See here: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post160096

    Thank you that is very helpful although a shame it turned out that way.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl Davis For This Useful Post:

     R.Rocca (07-19-2018)

  7. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    345
    Sex
    Location
    Ohio
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA (M)
    H5

    Quote Originally Posted by R.Rocca View Post
    As I reported previously, Y410 is a train wreck and appears in many other haplogroups. For the purpose of tree building, it is junk.

    See here: https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post160096
    And the appearances are separated by how many years? Number of appearances is NOT the issue. That is an accounting issue and the community is lazy on keeping track of these things. The issue is whether it QUICKLY flips between two close haplogroup levels on the same branch. How fast does it revert back?

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,565
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152+L2+FGC10543
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1-T152C!

    United States of America Italy 1861-1946 Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Cofgene View Post
    And the appearances are separated by how many years? Number of appearances is NOT the issue. That is an accounting issue and the community is lazy on keeping track of these things. The issue is whether it QUICKLY flips between two close haplogroup levels on the same branch. How fast does it revert back?
    If I recall correctly, it appears in just about every single R1b group and just about every non-R1b haplogroup, so it has nothing to do with laziness. It has to do with the SNPs worthlessness.
    Last edited by R.Rocca; 07-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543, Pietro della Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

     rms2 (07-20-2018)

  10. #6
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,786
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15733
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

    I went through the same song and dance with the irrelevant SNP L484, several years ago. And I argued eloquently for its usefulness "in my branch," since the first 8 or so people who shared my numerous off-modal STR alleles were all testing positive for L484, and it looked stable for several centuries to any possible MRCA. Then about the 9th such guy turned out negative for it -- weakening my argument -- while we were finding L484+ in other branches of DF27, not to mention in haplogroups other than R1b. So, I recanted. Belief in L484 was heretical, and the orthodox position turned out to be right. (Not that it always does.)

    For me, the most convincing argument about the "flippy snippy" category (a term used by David Reynolds, and whatever became of him?) has being the ability to search a group (say, the DF27 group) at YFull for a position on the Y chromosome, and see the GATCs light up -- in glorious technicolor, breathtaking Cinemascope, and stereophonic sound. If the results display as a nearly uninterrupted column of one color (green, if everybody in the selected group, plus the reference sequence, has an A at that locus) -- but one guy has a G there, and unlike everybody else on the planet, his sample displays orange -- then that guy really has a mutation, and it really identifies his new subclade. A flippy snippy toggles back and forth, randomly, between two colors. Other unstable loci may vary among several colors; they are even more useless for drawing the phylogenetic tree.

  11. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    149
    Sex
    Location
    Britain
    Ethnicity
    British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b DF27>FGC17112
    mtDNA (M)
    V

    One of the things that strikes me is the apparent lack of reported new discoveries in blocks like this during the last few years. I think all 6 of the mutations in the table in post 1 were known by the time BigY launched way back in 2013. I think YElite2 is supposed to 'find' 50% or snips than BigY and the Chromium Long Read test about 100% more so I would have thought we would know of a lot more finds especially in the last couple of years.


    Earl.

  12. #8
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    12,014
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Maybe those five (I'm not counting Y410) are it and there wasn't much of a bottleneck at L51.
     


    Hidden Content


    Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

    Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

    Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

    Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     Wing Genealogist (07-22-2018)

Similar Threads

  1. Looks like some big changes to AC coming up 2018
    By Little bit in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-02-2018, 04:45 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 09:47 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2017, 09:41 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •