Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When shocking genealogy discoveries and DNA tests clash

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    You mentioned that FTDNA had your Scandinavian too high. Does Ancestry also? I do think that they sometimes give Iberian to compensate when putting ancestry that naturally has more southern components (English, like my sister, or southern German) into Scandinavian.
    My Scandinavian is 12% on Ancestry, 23% on FTDNA. From my paper trail, my Scandinavian ancestry (assuming I inherited the genes exactly) would be 1/8th Danish and 1/16th Norwegian. Which is small and on both tests they're pretty high. 23andme has me at 0.1% Scandinavian though
    Last edited by ianz91; 08-08-2018 at 08:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ianz91 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (08-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA
    T1a2b- Z19945
    mtDNA
    H95a- Ostrogoth

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Italy Sweden Finns
    Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    The thing is my Southern European cannot be specifically labeled consistently by the DNA tests, 23andme has it as 5% "Broadly Southern European", AncestryDNA shows it as 18% Iberian, FTDNA at 15% Iberian, MyHeritage as 10% Italian, etc.
    I have asked 23andme to intoduce an alpine marker for austria. North italy. South germany. Switzerland and slovenia to "fix" this south european problem.
    All my family only have 20 to 30 % italian and not much more for south european yet my registry paperwork goes back up to 800 years in north italy

European = 99.2%............Central Asian = 0.8% .............Yfull - 1460BC
    Father's Mtdna .........T2b17
    Grandfather's Mtdna .......T1a1e
    Sons Mtdna .......K1a4
    Maternal Grandfather paternal......I1d-P109...CTS6009
    Wife's Ydna .....R1a-Z282

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS54+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

The main negatives = ( M193-, P322-, P327-, Pages11- , L25- , CTS1848- )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

Vivaldi4Stagioni (08-18-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Mar Ionio
    Nationality
    American

England Germany Italy Scotland
    Also I have ran my data through Gedmatch calcs numerous times and none of them make sense. Lukasz did a eurogenes k13 pca for me and I plot between English and Dutch, he stated "you aren't shifted south".
    yeah, Eurogenes anything is very N. European bias. it probably isn't the best model to use to check for minor amounts of Levantine type heritage...

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    yeah, Eurogenes anything is very N. European bias. it probably isn't the best model to use to check for minor amounts of Levantine type heritage...
    What model is best for checking minor amounts of Levantine type heritage? I don't think one exists. Any tests or calculators that show me having any Levantine type heritage is immediately suspicious to me now given what I know about my actual ancestry. When I first joined and posted my first thread, a user on this very forum insisted I was part Middle Eastern based on my Eurogenes results and I believed him, leading me to search for an ancestry that turned out didn't actually exist.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Mar Ionio
    Nationality
    American

What model is best for checking minor amounts of Levantine type heritage? I don't think one exists. Any tests or calculators that show me having any Levantine type heritage is immediately suspicious to me now given what I know about my actual ancestry. When I first joined and posted my first thread, a user on this very forum insisted I was part Middle Eastern based on my Eurogenes results and I believed him, leading me to search for an ancestry that turned out didn't actually exist.
    Dodecad V3, MDLP K23b, EUtest, and Eurogenes Jtest are a good mix across the board. if something pops up on all of those id say somebody upstream lied about their ethnicity for some reason..... it is not unusual for someone way back when to have lied about their ethnicity in order to immigrate or marry somebody..... or lie about who the father of a child is.....
    Last edited by JerryS.; 08-09-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13 > E-PH1246
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden
    I dont know, Eurogenes K13 picks out my Italian just fine... The thing that irritates me is the discrepancies between the DNA tests. I get that the algorithms are different for each company but when people say "trust DNA" which are we to trust when the range can be so broad across the major testing platforms?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Dimanto (08-17-2018), msmarjoribanks (08-10-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA
    K1

France Belgium Flanders Wallonia Occitania France Bretagne
    The thing is my Southern European cannot be specifically labeled consistently by the DNA tests, 23andme has it as 5% "Broadly Southern European", AncestryDNA shows it as 18% Iberian, FTDNA at 15% Iberian, MyHeritage as 10% Italian, etc.
    I will be in disagreement with other people here. Genealogical trail is often more accurate than Admixture calculators based on DNA, except if you can find a completely unexpected ethnicity (which is not the case here).
    From what I am seeing from your genealogy, you are from Northern European descend, with South German ancestry. Your 23andme results (which is the best commercial calculator) is showing you exactly this.
    The 5% South European must not be taken litterally. It is something found in many Northern Europeans, especially in Low Countries or Western Germany. It doesn't mean any recent South European ancestry at all.

2 remarks:
    - are you phased with your parents? Because if not, your admixture results must be taken with a huge pinch of salt.
    - do you have many South Europeans relatives in your matches?

And please remember: North Europeans are extremely homogeneous. It is very difficult to tell them apart. Your Scandinavian is probably too low (I have more than you without any known recent Scandinavian ancestry), but you find some in B&I, F&G, because all these ethnicities are in the same cluster.
    Last edited by ffoucart; 08-10-2018 at 12:55 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ffoucart For This Useful Post:

Dimanto (08-17-2018), ianz91 (08-10-2018), msmarjoribanks (08-10-2018), Saetro (08-11-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21>DF13
    mtDNA
    K1

France Belgium Flanders Wallonia Occitania France Bretagne
    Quote Originally Posted by vettor View Post
    I have asked 23andme to intoduce an alpine marker for austria. North italy. South germany. Switzerland and slovenia to "fix" this south european problem.
    All my family only have 20 to 30 % italian and not much more for south european yet my registry paperwork goes back up to 800 years in north italy
    800 years? Only for some lines, I suppose. Because I don't know anybody to have a complete tree this length.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North Sea/Mar Ionio
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    I dont know, Eurogenes K13 picks out my Italian just fine... The thing that irritates me is the discrepancies between the DNA tests. I get that the algorithms are different for each company but when people say "trust DNA" which are we to trust when the range can be so broad across the major testing platforms?
    I imagine you are at least 25% south Italian then? when I say minor amounts I mean the sub 20% range that the oracle 4 has problems with..... there is a member on here that is 25% Italian, but his Italian ancestry is from the north so he gets some Spain/France/Basque on occasion but not very consistently... the other models I think he scores close to accurate for him but those models don't have the north European bias like Eurogenes does.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Dutch
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152>Z56>Z145
    mtDNA
    W5a2

Netherlands
    You might also have a meditteranean ancestor in a percentage smaller than 10%. My 1/16 Jewish was not noticed by FTDNA. The algorithm said, okay we see a meditteranean input, but also some European so lets blend it into an "inbetween" category 16% Southeast Europe. It may therefore have been some meditteranean ancestor "more exotic" than thought, that together with an European source is put in an inbetween category. If it was Jewish, you would certainly have noticed in your match list.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast