Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparison of autosomal results from different companies for me and my parents

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    I recently read that Kefalonia which was under Venetian rule from 1500-1797 was very underpopulated like the other Ionian islands too and that's why the Venetians brought Roman Catholic populations from their own region of Terraferma (Venezia-Friuli etc) and of Greek Orthodox ones from their quests of Stato da Mar. Maybe that's how his high Italian can be explained.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra_K For This Useful Post:

PoxVoldius (08-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    My dad recently tested with Living DNA and his results just came out!

Europe 94.1%
    Europe (South) 75.7%
    Aegean 44.2%
    South Italy 16.6%
    Tuscany 11.3%
    Iberian Peninsula 1.9%
    Sardinia 1.7%
    Europe (North and West) 7.5%
    Scandinavia 3.4%
    France 2.7%
    Germanic 1.4%
    Great Britain and Ireland 5.6%
    England and Wales 5.6%
    Europe (East) 5.3%
    Pannonia 2.1%
    East Balkans 2%
    Finland and Western Russia 1.2%
    Near East 5.9%
    Iran 3.6%
    Kurdish 2.3%

Cautious mode:

Europe 94.1%
    South Italy-related ancestry 73.8%
    Northwestern Europe-related ancestry 7%
    Northeast Europe-related ancestry 4.1%
    Orkney Islands-related ancestry 3.4%
    Europe (unassigned) 5.8%
    Armenia and Cyprus-related ancestry 3.6%
    Kurdish-related ancestry 2.3%
    Last edited by Alexandra_K; 09-06-2018 at 12:14 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexandra_K For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (09-06-2018),  lukaszM (09-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    Also, his 23andme results got updated:

Balkan 54.4%, Italian 29.9%, Eastern European 1.4, Broadly Southern European 6.3%, Western Asian & North African 7.3%, Western Asian 6.8% Turkey, Broadly Western Asian & North African 0.5%, Sub-Saharan African 0.1%, Senegambian & Guinean 0.1%, Unassigned 0.5% (dots: 5 Greece, 5 Albania, 3 Macedonia, 2 Croatia, 2 Romania, 2 Serbia, 1 Italy, 1 Turkey)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central 75% + 25% Mazovia
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a > M198 > YP 1337

Poland
    What do you think about results in my K36 Ancestral reports made for your family comparing to those all companies?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    Hello Lukasz!

As I have already told to many when asked, I find your K36 Ancestral Reports by far the most accurate and specific! :-) I just don't know how to summarize them so that I can present them in such a thread. They are all full of interesting info and hints.
    I think that they do fit in well with our known family and regional history! My maternal local and family history from Epirus:
    Village Tserkovista (renamed to Ekklisohori in 1928). Was a Slavic settlement (probably Vajunites) of not earlier than the second half of the 9th century AD. The Slavic settlers never left but were gradually assimilated by the Byzantines. Still local toponyms, local dialect, local surnames (official and unofficial -ending for women in -ova) are living evidence of the medieval Slavic background and origin of the village. Later on the village was conquered by the Bulgarians who must have had settled also in considerable numbers and then also by the Serbs, until finally it was conquered by the Turks. Arvanites and Vlachs have also lived in the village although probably they were not the majority. My own family from there, has two known Vlach branches who emigrated to the village around the beginning of the 1800s. Also one known Arvanite (Souliot) branch who emigrated to the village around the same time period.
    In your reports I can detect (in my mother and myself) an existent though not very strong Slavic admixture (this must represent the medieval admixture with Vajunites and Bulgarians and Serbs which is rationally not so high as a percentage anymore due to centuries of assimimilation). Our Arvanite element is very high which makes me think our known Arvanite ancestors have not been the only ones. In fact, I recently discovered that the surname linked to one of our main branches is also of Albanian/Arvanite origin.
    Our Vlach origins (1. Vlachs from Trikala and 2. Most probably Arvanitovlachi or Remeni) are for me more difficult to detect in our genetic reports. But I guess that Vlach origins can be a little bit of a puzzle in general.
    As far as our families from Kea and Kefalonia are concerned, unfortunately I do not know as much about them. However, I know that both Kea and Kefalonia are not the most typical islands. They are both near the mainland. Kea was under Frank and Venetian rule. Then the Turks took over and placed a great number of Albanians on the island which was almost deserted by then. Kefalonia had been also under Franks and then under the Venetians for 300 years (!). Since Kefalonia was also underpopulated, the Venetians placed populations from Venice and Friuli on it as well as populations from Crete, Cyprus, Eubea, the Cyclads etc. Also Kefalonia has had Arvanite settlers (see family of Spata Bua, Sgouros Kagadis etc.). There are even a few Slavic toponyms in Kefalonia. Last but not least the Kefalonian had a strong connection with Romania (family names that are connected to my dad's family are included in the Kefalonian Romanian community).
    I think that I see evidence of this history in your report concerning my father too. He might be an islander but he seems to shift toward the mainland a little. In all types of tests (ancestry reports and DNA relatives) he also shows a connection with Albanians but also with Slavs (a small admixture) although he is an islander.
    I really find all of our K36 ancestry reports very accurate!!
    Last edited by Alexandra_K; 09-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra_K For This Useful Post:

lukaszM (09-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Greek, Vlach, Arvanite
    Nationality
    Greek
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1 -PF7263 (BY38105)
    mtDNA (M)
    A1a

Greece Byzantine Empire
    In fact, as you commented, Lukasz, my father seems to be exactly in the middle of the distance between the islands and the mainland, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12