Thread: Nazi occupied Bosnia 1941

Nazi occupied Bosnia 1941

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (08-16-2018),  JerryS. (08-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    i really didn't realize how much of a muslim influence there was in the Balkans.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    It was normal for women in Bosnia back then to dress like spooky ghosts. The world was so different 80 years ago, that's not even that long ago.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    i really didn't realize how much of a muslim influence there was in the Balkans.
    My grandma told me some women wore those black veils over their faces, she and her family didn't. It was personal choice or if the husband prefers it that way. Women were basically treated like property.
    As far as "muslim" influence though...not so much different. It wasn't some extremely strict religiousness like Saudi Arabia where they had public executions if someone steals something. And most men were still drinking a lot of booze. Catholics were more religious back then too. Their women would cover everything up except the face and they went to church all the time. Those were generally a lot more conservative/traditional times back then.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oz For This Useful Post:

alexfritz (08-14-2018),  JerryS. (08-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    My grandma told me some women wore those black veils over their faces, she and her family didn't. It was personal choice or if the husband prefers it that way. Women were basically treated like property.
    As far as "muslim" influence though...not so much different. It wasn't some extremely strict religiousness like Saudi Arabia where they had public executions if someone steals something. And most men were still drinking a lot of booze. Catholics were more religious back then too. Their women would cover everything up except the face and they went to church all the time. Those were generally a lot more conservative/traditional times back then.
    I saw a lot of the men wearing Fez type hats and head scarves of sorts...and the head to toe covering of the woman with the face veil/burqa lead me to believe there was a heavy muslim population there. was that garb traditional for Christians too?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Dinaric
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y7627
    mtDNA (M)
    H5c

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I saw a lot of the men wearing Fez type hats and head scarves of sorts...and the head to toe covering of the woman with the face veil/burqa lead me to believe there was a heavy muslim population there. was that garb traditional for Christians too?
    Ante Pavelic would wear a fez sometimes. But no it wasn't exactly the same garb with the Christians. Every religion had a slightly different culture of course. This kind of dress was influence from the Ottomans obviously. I don't know why that's surprising.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    German

Germany Imperial
    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Sarajevo was already almost 40% Muslim in those days (it's over 80% Muslim now), so there definitely was a heavy Muslim population. Bosnia was part of the Ottoman Empire until 1878 - which was then only 63 years ago so within the lifetime of older people.

It is interesting to see women in head to toe cover given that Bosnian Islam today is probably on the liberal end of Islam. I imagine that there were some secularization efforts during Communist times in Yugoslavia, so maybe that's why it changed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (08-18-2018)