Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: LivingDNA Question: Germany/Denmark/Norway??

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1

Germany Denmark Norway Orkney Normandie Sami
    Yea for sure! That’s cool you can infer my mom’s from mine and my dad’s.

I get what you’re saying about the mt and y dna. I kinda get the idea behind those.

I have only done LivingDNA. I was thinking about doing a second one, but I don’t really want to spend the money just yet.
    Last edited by waltematec; 08-30-2018 at 01:10 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to waltematec For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (08-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    Makes sense. I only did my second one (FTDNA) since my first (Ancestry) didn't do mtDNA or YDNA and I wanted to test my parents there. Then I got addicted!

The good thing is the LivingDNA results will improve as they add more projects (I think it's great for UK already). It's just who knows how long that will take, sigh.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b1b1

Germany Denmark Norway Orkney Normandie Sami
    How does ancestry compare to FTDNA? My dad did both Ancestry and LivingDNA and they were pretty similar.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    LivingDNA is much better for English ancestry. Ancestry has had issues in classifying it as Scandinavian or Europe West. The recent update (not fully live) seems to have made my own results much more accurate. For accuracy my experience has been that 23andMe is best, although I think Ancestry with the update is good for Northern Europe (it seems to have issues for people with Italian ancestry).

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Marmaduke (08-30-2018),  timberwolf (08-30-2018),  waltematec (08-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    German

Germany Imperial
    My hopes for the German project were somewhat dampened recently when I saw on another forum that a Polish user participated in the project as his family comes from a part of Poland that was formerly part of Germany. The researchers involved did ask for people with heritage from those areas to participate, but in my view they clearly asked for people of German ancestry.

It would be useless for a German DNA project if the non-Germans from those areas were also included in a reference for Germans. It would skew the regional German sample eastward and make it harder for German-descended people to place their ancestry in what was once Eastern Germany (and I believe quite a lot of Americans had German migrant ancestors who came from Pomerania/Prussia/Silesia).

I know that there's people who think that the Germans in those areas and Poles were basically ethnically the same, i.e. the theory of Germanized Slavs, and bringing Polish samples into the reference for Germans from those regions would obviously serve that particular viewpoint quite well.

However, it actually ruins the purpose of the project itself. In order to more reliably display German ancestry in DNA testing, you need a reference that's as isolated as possible from neighboring countries such as Poland, Denmark or France as it's those which typically obscure the results and make it harder to pinpoint the German ancestry. Poland is the example here, but a French person adding an "Elsass" sample would have the same blurring effect. A good reference requires that you weed out submissions that come from people who meet the geographical criteria but not the ethnicity criteria. I hope LivingDNA did that, but I have my doubts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer For This Useful Post:

MatAust21 (08-30-2018)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678