Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Ethnicity via Paper Trail?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-L2

Scotland England Ireland Germany Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I always assumed you had recent significant ancestry from Scotland due to your obvious passion for it, and your first flag is Scotland's. So I am curious how did the passion for Scotland rather than say Ireland arise again? It does seem to capture the hearts of so many people around the world even without British ancestry of any sort.
    I have a passion for all of the British ethnic groups and their histories, cultures, etc. because I am a product of all of them. I just used my flags to represent my ancestry and since I don't believe that "American" is a valid ethnic or ancestral category (due to the difference lets say between a German, Korean, or African-American) I didn't include the flag. I put Scotland first because I believe in the old patriarchal order and its determining of ones ethnic affiliation, hence since my direct paternal line was from Scotland I give it preeminence in that regard. Also the actual ancestral percentages can be misleading because while it got mixed away my father's paternal grandmother's family were also originally from Scotland.

That said I play the low whistle and regular tin whistle in order to play pan-Celtic (and medieval, etc.) music, but my love for Irish traditional music is what sparked it. So you could say Ireland has been capturing my heart since I was a boy as well

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gwydion For This Useful Post:

George Chandler (08-24-2018),  JMcB (08-24-2018),  Robert1 (08-24-2018),  sktibo (08-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    UK

Madagascar Mauritius Spain Iran India China
    By my paper trail:
    25% Indian-Mauritian
    25% Indian/Iranian
    25% Northern Spaniard
    12.5% Southern Chinese
    12.5% Ethnic Malagasy - Mostly East African with smaller amounts of Indonesian

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Adam A For This Useful Post:

George Chandler (08-24-2018),  JMcB (08-24-2018),  Judith (08-24-2018),  msmarjoribanks (08-24-2018),  Pylsteen (08-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-A13243
    mtDNA
    H1e2

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    I appreciate you asking this question. I personally wish more people would include their paper trails or known genealogies in their signature so I can easily compare the DNA test results they post to that. I see a lot of people with DNA test results in their signature, and while of course that is fine it doesn't help anything! The best way to understand DNA tests and get useful information from them IMO is to use them as a point of comparison. Having one's genealogy included in a signature is helpful when scanning test results to try and make sense of them.

That's how I see it anyhow.
    Done! ;-)
    Known Paper Trail: 45.3% English, 29.7% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German & 6.25% Italian. Or: 87.5% British Isles, 6.25% German & 6.25% Italian.
    LivingDNA: 88.1% British Isles (59.7% English, 27% Scottish & 1.3% Irish), 5.9% Europe South (Aegian 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%), 4.4% Europe NW (Scandinavia) & 1.6% Europe East, (Mordovia).
    FT Big Y: I1-Z140 branch I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 900 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 1030 AD) >A13243/YSEQ (circa 1550 AD).

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

George Chandler (08-24-2018),  Judith (08-24-2018),  msmarjoribanks (09-05-2018),  Robert1 (08-24-2018),  sktibo (08-24-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    Done! ;-)
    Good looking signature!
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

JMcB (08-24-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    My tree is pretty complete up to my 3rd great grandparents, but on a number of lines there was already a little bit mixing at that point. Mostly this was just between different European ancestries, but my Native American ancestry is more distant than 3rd great grandparents. This ancestry comes in on my maternal grandfather's side and on my maternal grandmother's side. In each case -- a 5th great grandfather and a 7th great grandmother -- I have at least two paths by which I descend from the ancestor.

This is what the percentages based on the paper trail look like, as closely as I can figure them:

• Palatine German 35.1% -- The term is a broad one, which I'm using to refer to my ancestry on my father's side that mostly immigrated from Germany to Pennsylvania during the colonial period. It may include immigrants who were actually from Switzerland.
    • Alsatian 6.2% -- Through one of my only three immigrant ancestors who arrived later than the colonial era, a 2nd great grandmother who immigrated as a young child with her parents and siblings from Alsace-Lorraine to New Orleans, Louisiana, probably in the 1830s or 1840s. This is on my mother's side.
    • Swiss 1.6% -- This is not necessarily my only Swiss ancestry, but the only Swiss ancestor I can definitely separate from my German ancestry. Settled near gulf coast of Mississippi in early 1800s. Probably from Canton Grisons. On my mother's side.
    • French 2.7% -- This part of my ancestry immigrated first to Quebec in 1600s, then around 1700 migrated to gulf coast region.
    • British 33.6% -- From both parents. On my father's side, may be mostly Scottish and Scots-Irish; on my mother's side probably mostly English.
    • Irish 1.6% -- On my mother's side. Settled first in Savannah, Georgia, migrated to Mississippi gulf coast after American Revolution.
    • Catalan 12.5% -- Mother's side. The other two of the immigrant ancestors who arrived after the colonial period. Both traveled as boys with their parents and siblings, arriving in New Orleans area in 1830s-1840s. One later moved to Mississippi gulf coast region.
    • Native American 2.0% -- Mother's side, through both of her parents. Interestingly, this percentage is the same as found by 23andMe and FTDNA, though Ancestry puts the figure at 1% (with a range of 0-2%).

For comparison, here are the percentages given by Ancestry:

• Europe West 44% (15-71%)
    • Great Britain 25% (0-53%)
    • Ireland/Scotland/Wales 9% (0-21%)
    • Iberian Peninsula 9% (0-17%)
    • Caucasus 3% (0-7%)
    • Scandinavia 3% (0-12%)
    • Europe South 2% (0-8%)
    • Asia Central 1% (0-3%)
    • Native American 1% (0-2%)
    • Asia South <1% (0-3%)
    • European Jewish <1% (0-2%)
    • Finland/Northwest Russia <1% (0-3%)
    Last edited by geebee; 08-24-2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Add'l info
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

George Chandler (08-24-2018),  Gwydion (08-24-2018),  JMcB (08-25-2018),  msmarjoribanks (09-05-2018),  palamede (08-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Islander
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222 > DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10

Australia England Ireland
    I know that I'm approximately half English & Irish because my parents are from there, but I can't give an exact percentage. My mother is 3% Irish through a Mrs Doyle from Athlone, and my father is bound to be some small amount English/Welsh based on family surnames, and the fact that one of those lines was Protestant until the 19th century. There's a decent chance that I have some appreciable Welsh in my ancestry (Jones, Hughes and Wynne are names that appear), but nothing that I can prove.
    Last edited by Molfish; 08-24-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    LivingDNA: 97.6% British Isles, 2.4% Scandinavia. 45.1% Central England related.
    AncestryDNA: 53% England/Wales/NW Euro, 47% Ireland/Scotland

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Molfish For This Useful Post:

George Chandler (08-24-2018),  Gwydion (08-24-2018),  JMcB (08-25-2018),  msmarjoribanks (09-05-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland
    Unfortunately I don't have the patience to dig through my paternal tree to calculate percentages of the various ethnic groups in that part of my tree, but I do know the earliest documented ancestors coming to Canada were of Scottish, Northern Irish and French origin with English, Irish and some more Scottish following. Later on came yet more Irish, Northern Irish, English/Cornish with trace amounts of German also (coming from Pennsylvania). A good chunk of my paternal grandmother's mother's family lived in India, with several generations having lived there too. Interestingly I consistently pick up "South Asian" on many of the GEDmatch calculators. Whether it is noise, I'm not sure but one of my ancestors who lived in India is noted for having had an Indian wife.

My maternal side is much easier to calculate, with it coming out to be 100% Dutch. Which perhaps makes me 50% Dutch on paper.

So I guess 50% British-Isles + French + German and whatever else and 50% Dutch. I certainly feel Canadian through and through, maybe with a Dutch flare as in some cases my family can play "Dutch bingo" and you can figure out who another Canadian of Dutch descent is by asking about surnames, which church their family may have gone to, where their family was from, where their farm was located in Canada, etc.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097 [Big Y: Complete] (Scotland), Big Y: I-Z140>F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (08-24-2018),  George Chandler (08-24-2018),  Gwydion (08-24-2018),  JMcB (08-25-2018),  msmarjoribanks (08-24-2018),  Webb (09-05-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I-M26, I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

My paper trail is below. I am virtually only north England and the Midlands nothing south of Birmingham.

Ancestry says
    Europe west (i.e. north France nothing north of London) 50% me 0%
    Ireland Scotland Wales 18% Me 2%
    GB 13% Me 98%
    Which is north England and Midland, yes they get that bit right but they have my tree!!!
    Scandinavia 11%. 0

Less confident regions
    Iberia. 4%
    Finland. 3%
    North Africa. 1%

To me this means that they have over compensated their “too much British” problem. Like the GEDmatch calculators they add some north of uk to some Europe to get north England.

I have always been open to an NPE through Liverpool giving me the Scandinavia BUT all of my 2nd and 3rd cousins with similar geographic areas get similar Scandinavia values so I would need an even sprinkling of Swedish sailors in each branch of my tree to explain that effect. More of this later.

Ftdna (actually my Mum who has less Cheshire)
    68% British Isles
    30% East european
    2% Finnish. Wrong but not as wrong!

23&me
    63% British and Irish
    13% French and German
    4% Scandinavian
    1%. Finnish
    20% north west Europe

They go as far to say my French/German ancestry was between 1750 and 1840 any Scandinavian & Finnish was between 1690 and 1800.
    So how come they are so precise but so wrong? Well I used to think an NPE or two, but the Ancestry uniformity stopped me thinking that. So now I think that the stretches of DNA they used to identify the ethnicity have been passed around in endogenous village communities and keeping the signature of Vikings and Saxons. That would bring the time estimate forward the several 100s of years needed to explain it.

They at least admit that they cannot distinguish north west Europe from French/German

Living DNA (my brother)
    98% British Isles
    2% German
    Of which 64% north west england and Midlands so very good really.
    I can then get pedantic since I do NOT come from Devon or Kent and these counties would reject me too.

LivingDNA used to say 4% German and so they are refining their predictions too. They have not been brave enough to put a time stamp on it. But frankly given the accumulated uncertainty of autosomal DNA a 2% error is just noise.

So again thanks for starting this thread it brings together properly the various other ones about companies and techniques.
    Last edited by Judith; 08-25-2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Typos
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what the testing companies say.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

George Chandler (08-24-2018),  JMcB (08-25-2018),  msmarjoribanks (09-05-2018),  Phoebe Watts (08-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British Islander
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222 > DF109
    mtDNA
    K1a10

Australia England Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Molfish View Post
    I know that I'm approximately half English & Irish because my parents are from there, but I can't give an exact percentage. My mother is 3% Irish through a Mrs Doyle from Athlone, and my father is bound to be some small amount English/Welsh based on family surnames, and the fact that one of those lines was Protestant until the 19th century. There's a decent chance that I have some appreciable Welsh in my ancestry (Jones, Hughes and Wynne are names that appear), but nothing that I can prove.
    For fun and to be more specific, my somewhat speculative estimate for ancestry by county to the level of Great x4 Grandparents (64).

42.18% Staffordshire
    37.5% Co. Offaly
    6.25% Co. Mayo
    3.12% Co. Galway (half English?)
    3.12% Shropshire
    3.12% Derbyshire
    3.12% Welsh? (North Wales?)
    1.5% Co. Roscommon

Regarding Mrs. Doyle from Athlone, I'm aware of the British military garrison there at the time, and I can think of no other reason why my coal mine working English ancestor would end up there for a short time and marry a local.
    LivingDNA: 97.6% British Isles, 2.4% Scandinavia. 45.1% Central England related.
    AncestryDNA: 53% England/Wales/NW Euro, 47% Ireland/Scotland

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Molfish For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-05-2018),  msmarjoribanks (09-05-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I can do the county thing for 3rd g grandparents to a point, but most of my English ancestry is way earlier and so the source is known only in a few cases (my dad's mtDNA line goes to Suffolk, but obviously that's a tiny percentage of my ancestry). The 21 people identified just as born in the US also had parents born in the US. In the next generation I start getting a few more who were born elsewhere, but still not most of them.

1 Shropshire
    1 Essex
    1 Montgomeryshire
    1 Caernarvonshire
    2 Alvsborg, Sweden
    2 Jonkoping, Sweden
    1 Antrim, Ireland
    1 supposedly Ireland, don't know where (he's my mystery man)
    1 France (but I don't know where -- born in US, but both parents born in France)
    21 US

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JMcB (09-05-2018),  Molfish (09-05-2018)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast