Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales

Mayflower lines

I have been working on Mayflower lines as of late. I decided to look at how many Mayflower lines I have been able to document in my own ancestry and was a bit surprised to find that to date I have documented 13 lines of descent via 13 different Mayflower passengers (Lucky I'm not superstitious )

I have three lines of descent from William Brewster (which includes his wife Mary) and Henry Samson

I have two lines of descent from Stephen Hopkins (both from daughter Constance), two lines from John Howland (which includes his wife, Elizabeth Tilley and her parents John & Joan)

Finally I have one line of descent from Thomas Rogers (and his son Joseph), Francis Cooke and Degory Priest.

I have (to date) only joined the General Society of Mayflower Descendants (GSMD) under one of my Brewster lines, and have also joined the Pilgrim John Howland Society. However, I am reasonably confident all of the above lines are adequately documented so that I could join the GSMD.

Can anyone beat those numbers (either in number of lines, or number of passengers)?
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    I'm just Warren (Richard>Sarah) and Cooke (Francis>John>Mary), as far as I know. But you've reminded me I need to complete my paperwork...
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112 (S17075-)

Y-cousin: 6DRIF-23 (DF19>>Z17112+, S17075+)

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

Wing Genealogist (08-31-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    I personally can only claim Stephen Hopkins and Stephen's son Giles (by his first marriage). My half-sister, on the other hand claims not only Stephen Hopkins paternally but maternally as well for she comes from Stephen and his second wife, the Mayflower passenger Elizabeth Fisher Hopkins. My half-sister can also claim William & Mary Brewster, their son Love Brewster, Francis Cooke, Richard Warren, John Alden, his wife Priscilla Mullins and her parents William & Alice Mullins. But that's only twelve.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grossvater For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (08-31-2018),  Wing Genealogist (08-31-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    I don't have any Mayflower passengers in my tree, as far as I know. But my wife and daughter have William & Mary Brewster (via Love); William and Susannah White (via Peregrine, who technically only made the voyage in utero); and Edward Doty.

I can well believe figures like "35 million descendants" of Mayflower passengers. There's also an estimate of only 20 million, but that's still "a bunch".

EDIT:

Most descendants won't have any DNA from any of these ancestors, but in this large of a group it's likely that some will. The problem will be with how many happen to share an overlapping segment with another descendant. (And being sure that there isn't any other shared ancestry that could account for such a segment.)

And, of course, there may well be some men in Y-DNA line, and both men and women in an mtDNA line.

2nd EDIT:

Maybe it's been posted elsewhere, but according to this source (https://www.themayflowersociety.org/...ftdna-and-gsmd), "So far, all but three direct male lines have been identified."
    Last edited by geebee; 08-31-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

CherylAnn (09-02-2018),  Dewsloth (08-31-2018),  msmarjoribanks (08-31-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    My dad is the end of our particular line for Elizabeth Walker Warren's H1j mtDNA. We do show some matching folks on the Cooke/Warren line(s) in Family Finder.

But like you say, there are millions. I've seen one estimate that Warren alone has ~14 million descendants.

Edit: I think the reason we only have the one line is that John Cooke got kicked out of the community, so his children didn't marry back into the Plymouth group:

At some point during the late 1640s, John Cooke "fell into the error of Anabaptistry," and was cast out of the Plymouth Church. The Church record states: "This John Cooke although a shallow man became a cause of trouble and dissension in our Church and gave just occasion of their casting him out; so that Solomon's words proved true in him that one sinner destroyeth much good."

John Cooke removed from Plymouth and took up residence in Dartmouth, where he died in 1695. His wife Sarah [Warren] was still alive in 1696, called "a very ancient woman"; her exact death date was not recorded but it was probably not long after.
    http://mayflowerhistory.com/cooke-john/
    Last edited by Dewsloth; 08-31-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112 (S17075-)

Y-cousin: 6DRIF-23 (DF19>>Z17112+, S17075+)

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewsloth For This Useful Post:

Grossvater (08-31-2018)

I got Brewster and Warren, so no. But just curious, how are there some Mayflower descendants who have like 10 passengers on their list? Did their parents use a "Mayflower descendant" dating service to meet or something?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA
    J1c2g (FMS)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomUsernameGuy View Post
    I got Brewster and Warren, so no. But just curious, how are there some Mayflower descendants who have like 10 passengers on their list? Did their parents use a "Mayflower descendant" dating service to meet or something?
    Actually, my Mayflower lines are not closely related. I have Mayflower ancestry from seven of my eight great-grandparents. My family is almost 100% descended from colonial Massachusetts (including Maine) and New Hampshire, so they had a lot of opportunity to marry into Mayflower lines.

I do have a Mayflower passenger marrying a fellow Mayflower Passenger (Howland-Tilley), but I don't have a child of a Mayflower passengers marrying a child of Mayflower passenger.
    Gedmatch DNA: M032736 Gedcom: 6613110.
    Gedmatch Genesis: WH4547538
    co-administrator: Y-DNA R-U106 Haplogroup Project

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by RandomUsernameGuy View Post
    I think it was pretty common for descendants to marry each other early on -- there weren't that many people in the area and early generations had lots of children.

I've always thought it odd that I don't seem to have any on my paternal grandmother's line since that line has many who came in the 1630s, but I went back and looked and realized it makes sense as my early settlers (several in Salem) seem to have largely turned Quaker and gone to Nantucket (one family partially stayed in Salem, but their religion was constantly an issue). The Gorhams are descendants (Desire Howland married John Gorham, and she is a daughter and granddaughter of Mayflower passengers, apparently), and they intermarried with lots of early Nantucket Quaker families, but not any of my ancestors.

I have New England early colonial on other lines, but don't have them proven back far enough to know.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 09-01-2018 at 02:44 PM.