Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    I'm not a paying member, but I have loads of DNA Circles. 37 from Mom's side (which is the side that has the large amount of Colonial American ancestry) and 7 from Dad's side. Without being a paying member, I get to see the ancestor labels on the DNA Circles, and how many members they have, but not the list of members for each circle. ...Although, the DNA match pages list which DNA Circles you share with your matches, so if I wanted to, I could probably recreate those blocked lists the long and roundabout way.
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    You need to have enough on your tree to predict the common ancestor.

Re your dad, you are matches, so he should be able to click on you and see your linked tree (if any) and vv. My suspicion is your tree isn't properly linked.
    I wanted to research one branch on its own.
    So I put up a tree for that and linked it.
    All of my circles linked to that tree.
    Then I put up a different tree for a different branch, and changed the DNA link to that tree.
    My original circles disappeared and new ones appeared connected with that linked tree.

When I had extracted what I needed, I left both trees in place, but changed the connection to the first one.
    My more recent circles disappeared and over a couple of days, the original ones re-formed.

You need a tree.
    It needs to be properly connected to your DNA.
    Otherwise no circles.
    That is what AncestryDNA itself says. It's what other users say. And my experience as described above proves that to my own satisfaction.

RandomUsernameGuy, if you are getting circles without a tree, that is great. But you are the only case I have heard of.
    Last edited by Saetro; 09-03-2018 at 07:29 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (09-03-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    You need a tree.
    It needs to be properly connected to your DNA.
    Otherwise no circles.
    That is what AncestryDNA itself says. It's what other users say. And my experience as described above proves that to my own satisfaction.

RandomUsernameGuy, if you are getting circles without a tree, that is great. But you are the only case I have heard of.
    Well it's my dad, not me that has 4 circles. I dunno, maybe it's a technical issue.

I have other members on my paternal side who have tested and none of them are in circles either and at they have trees too. Very odd how some people have dozens and then we don't have any. It's not about linking. Not sure what the deal is.

Registered Users
    ancestry Irish, Scot, Eng (Devon,Somerset,Lancashire,Cheshire, Shrop,Essex)+ Crossen(Oder)-Gruenberg
    Ethnicity
    Celt? Vik? East-Ger Sorb?
    Nationality
    YDNA Hub. R1b/U106/S1688
    Y-DNA
    f.R1aCTS11962/L1029?
    mtDNA
    K1a26

I have trees for each grandparent also..created a long time ago. About 3 weeks ago I changed the tree selected to be linked to my father's DNA from his mother's tree which had 2 circles and 9 leaf shared ancestry hints to his larger father's tree which has many branches and many DNA matches many with paid trees. Still I have no leaf shared ancestry hints and no circles. How long does it take to get shared ancestry hints ( the leaves with the DNA matched worked out)?. I've waited three weeks..and put on branches for many of the DNA matches myself..and yet still NO shared ancestry leaf hints, no circles either (but I suspect they come later). Ancestry is still showing the shared ancestry (leaf) hints for the old tree that has not been linked to his DNA for 3 weeks. It still has the 2 circles there too, only I cannot see them. I can still see the old shared leaf hits for the old tree.
    Last edited by Jan_Noack; 01-07-2019 at 09:31 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan_Noack For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-21-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    I recently got a couple of big matches at Ancestry: one a second cousin on my dad's side whose maternal grandmother was my paternal grandfather's sister, and a 1st cousin once removed who is the granddaughter of one of my mother's brothers.

Neither one takes his/her tree back far enough to make it into the DNA circles I know they would if they would only extend them a few generations further back.

Kind of aggravating.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-21-2019),  msmarjoribanks (02-10-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

My understanding of the circles is that linked trees don't work. I've always had to have the tree local to the account where the DNA test was. If somebody can prove this wrong, it would make life a lot easier for me. I think the technical reason for it was that a DNA test can't be linked to more than one tree. So maybe a linked tree works if there's not a DNA sample connected to it locally. For those using linked trees though, it's probably because they have multiple DNA tests from relatives and don't want to maintain multiple trees. So, I've got multiple trees out of sync with each other because updating them requires deleting them and uploading a revised one. Each time you delete a tree, you then have to wait until a new Ancestry Circle calculation is done which can be days or weeks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mlcarson For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-22-2019)

Registered Users
    ancestry Irish, Scot, Eng (Devon,Somerset,Lancashire,Cheshire, Shrop,Essex)+ Crossen(Oder)-Gruenberg
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    YDNA Hub. R1b/U106/S1688
    Y-DNA
    f.R1aCTS11962/L1029?
    mtDNA
    K1a26

I spoke to another regular ancestry user and she said ancestry is only running the updates very rarely now. So joining ancestry for a year to get my shared match hints was a mistake . It's been over 2 months now, and no update. As soon as ancetsry does rerun the shared hints it should work. It's worked before. hr thought was that ancetsry is just too large now... not as good as before and are not running the updates. So, in future if I change linked trees I will NOT waste any money payong ancestry, but wait until I se the updates run..and then join. I'm thinking maybe every 3 to 6 mths or longer?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan_Noack For This Useful Post:

slievenamon (02-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Unless something has changed in 2019, Ancestry is still running regular updates for DNA circles. My father's DNA results were added to Ancestry in mid December and his DNA circles were calculated in the 1-2 week time frame. Maybe shared hints are done less often.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    YDNA Hub. R1b/U106/S1688
    Y-DNA
    f.R1aCTS11962/L1029?
    mtDNA
    K1a26

I should be in many circles with hundreds of matches. I am in NONE. I was in 2 circles on my other tree. When I changed linked trees they disappeared, so for me in pst 2 months no circles updated either as well as no shared hints.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I recently got a couple of big matches at Ancestry: one a second cousin on my dad's side whose maternal grandmother was my paternal grandfather's sister, and a 1st cousin once removed who is the granddaughter of one of my mother's brothers.

Neither one takes his/her tree back far enough to make it into the DNA circles I know they would if they would only extend them a few generations further back.

Kind of aggravating.
    I wonder if you emailed them and explained the benefits of getting the circles and offered to share information if they did.

I've been working on a brick wall today and for some reason on this side no one has a tree linked or, if they do, it's one side only (like absolutely nothing for the mother's side). I've been emailing people although not wildly hopeful. Two of them I've emailed before, and one ignored me, while the other misunderstood my question but invited me to friend her on FB.

Anyway, when I started at Ancestry I had separate trees for each grandparent, and when I did the DNA I had to gradually rebuild the tree (which I did largely from scratch as I'd been really sloppy when creating the first ones and it was a good opportunity to recheck my conclusions). But as a result some of my lines still aren't as far back as they used to be. Nonetheless, they are far enough back and I have enough matches with extensive trees to have 43 circles. My sister has no tree linked, so no DNA circles.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 02-10-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast