Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Still Don't Understand DNA Circles

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post

I've been emailing people although not wildly hopeful. Two of them I've emailed before, and one ignored me, while the other misunderstood my question but invited me to friend her on FB.
    I hate it when they ignore you, it is frustrating. I mean I don't blame them most people do this testing just to see their ancestry so they don't care about actual genealogy but they should at least respond back, a nice simple "Sorry, I don't have any of this information you're looking for, I wish you the best" would be appreciated instead of being outright ignored.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ianz91 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (02-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

I don't know why it's so difficult for all of these people to upload a very small family tree. 99.9% of people are going to know their parents and expect 95% to know who their grandparents were. If they get to some non-living relatives, researchers can then figure out how they connect. But then again, I don't understand the fascination of trying to get ethnicity estimates and thinking they can get it down to specific countries.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    I hate it when they ignore you, it is frustrating. I mean I don't blame them most people do this testing just to see their ancestry so they don't care about actual genealogy but they should at least respond back, a nice simple "Sorry, I don't have any of this information you're looking for, I wish you the best" would be appreciated instead of being outright ignored.
    My new frustration is that I'm trying to confirm my paper trail (in furtherance of trying to break down a brick wall on that side), and I have 2 matches (related to each other) whom I could use to do that, but neither has been on Ancestry for over a year, and neither has a tree. I'm pretty sure they are closely related to each other, but unlike 23andMe Ancestry won't confirm that. I have a strong suspicion as to who one of them is and the other is descended from the same sister of my g-grandmother, if I am right, but without some confirmation it remains speculation and useless for actual confirmation.

The nice person who responded (and invited me to be a FB friend) but misunderstood my question responded again quite quickly, but again in an unhelpful way. Last time I sent a link to my tree and our common matches and asked if she knew how they were related to her and if she saw anything familiar in my (pretty extensive) tree. She said "oh, yeah, I recognize X, Y, and Z of the common matches" but didn't tell me anything about them. Now when I was more explicit she said "oh, yes, one of them is John Davis's grandchild" (name changed, but it was common). I don't know who John Davis is, that's the point! Argh!
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 02-20-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
    I don't know why it's so difficult for all of these people to upload a very small family tree. 99.9% of people are going to know their parents and expect 95% to know who their grandparents were. If they get to some non-living relatives, researchers can then figure out how they connect. But then again, I don't understand the fascination of trying to get ethnicity estimates and thinking they can get it down to specific countries.
    I know -- most everyone has not alive people in their tree who they could link back to, but clearly some don't want to use the DNA for actual genealogy. To be fair, I have a separate account (free) for my sister and haven't added a tree. Now that I see that there are enough differences in how much we match people it's probably worth attaching my tree to her account too.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I know -- most everyone has not alive people in their tree who they could link back to, but clearly some don't want to use the DNA for actual genealogy. To be fair, I have a separate account (free) for my sister and haven't added a tree. Now that I see that there are enough differences in how much we match people it's probably worth attaching my tree to her account too.
    The new ThruLines feature which is currently in Beta, has pluses and minuses.
    They say it will only work with a tree, so if that is true, it should encourage people to put a tree up.
    However, my current tree there is designed to work with DNA Circles, and is basically just one branch.
    I have names repeating across several closely related families all at about the same time, and thought that a trimmed pedigree on one branch might help get more authentic Circles. Maybe it did.
    Anyhow. The new ThruLines aka Common Ancestors has taken the tiny scraps of tree back a couple of generations and grabbed bits of other people's trees in order to try to explain DNA matches.
    No tree => no result - maybe.
    So this should encourage people to put something up.
    BUT for some of these matches it needed no more than a parent to build a putative connection.
    Fortunately most of my matches have good trees.
    When their trees were wrong, however, the errors are much harder to detect in this format: for all that AncestryDNA says this is just a hint,
    there is precious little reminder of that on the screen and newbies will think it is rock solid - and copy more rubbish into their own trees.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Judith (03-04-2019),  msmarjoribanks (03-01-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123