Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: I1 Migration Story

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by dsm View Post
    I understand that FTDNA are looking at offering dates but have not made the commitment yet.

YFull have done a pretty good job despite the points I raised and to their credit gave it a good try. Iain McDonald (U106 Project admin) has his own approach but even Iain has adjusted his start dates as more U106 dna has been analysed.

Iain McDonalds method ... http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~mcdonald/ge...ne-summary.pdf

YFull's pages on calcs can now only be found by going to a YFull tree and clicking on the info tags.
    Try them at https://www.yfull.com/tree/i1/

Click on 'info' or mouse over a date.

Presently we have a big dilemma (us R1b folk) in that the very latest formed dates for P312, U106 and even my own S1194 branch, seem to show dates older than the arrival of Yamnaya into middle Europe. But, we have no ancient DNA finds for any of our sub-clades closer to the Steppes than the region of Bohemia (around Czech republic). There is a U106 burial recently identified at Csepel Island in Hungary (in Budapest) however the island (between the cities of Buda & Pest) was considered a trading post between various peoples in the Bronze Age.

I1 DNA is afaict, much better understood in ancient terms, because it is such an old Y-DNA line and has survived so well into the modern world.

D
    A project administrator in a different thread also mentioned snps can have a variability of 1-10 generations or around 30-300 years.

How many more private snps did you get with your FGC Elite test than with your Big Y test? Do some of your snps have two different names; one name with a FGC prefix and one with a BY prefix?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (09-09-2018),  JonikW (09-09-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Ethnicity
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63>Y6228
    mtDNA
    H5c

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    Big Y 500 includes Y111 so you’ll just be paying twice for the same thing if you purchase Big Y 500 later. Also, as others have mentioned Y111 deals with strs not snps.

Waiting for a sale is the way to go. I just purchased Big Y 500 for $499 during this past summer sale and my friend got it for $449 on the last day of the sale. There probably will be a similar sale around Christmas.

If money is an issue reaching out to other relatives might help. My father paid for half of my test because he is interested about the results too. I also have around 20 male uncles and cousins who are each going to toss in $25 to do a test as well so that our family can have our own terminal branch on the haplotree.
    No unfortunately I don't have anyone who'd be interested pitching in for my big y. This is only my hobby no one that I know is interested in this genetics stuff.

I can afford paying for it actually, but I would insult myself first and foremost paying that much money on a y dna test it just seems like a waste of money.
    I might consider it if they drop the price at least below $500 in the future.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Username For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (09-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    No unfortunately I don't have anyone who'd be interested pitching in for my big y. This is only my hobby no one that I know is interested in this genetics stuff.

I can afford paying for it actually, but I would insult myself first and foremost paying that much money on a y dna test it just seems like a waste of money.
    I might consider it if they drop the price at least below $500 in the future.
    I hope they do drop the price. In the meantime it all depends how interested you are. I'm very happy that I forked out for it during a sale.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JonikW For This Useful Post:

Username (09-10-2018)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    I hope they do drop the price. In the meantime it all depends how interested you are. I'm very happy that I forked out for it during a sale.
    I also am looking forward to the fact that itís not just a one time rewarding experience where you learn some results and thatís it. Until the day I die I can constantly get new matches and new branches in the haplotree as more men test. Itís the gift to myself that keeps on giving. Lastly, I also feel a duty to the science to test to uncover these new snps. If it werenít for the people who tested before us we wouldnít have the knowledge we have now.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

Adrian Stevenson (09-09-2018),  C J Wyatt III (09-09-2018),  Helgenes50 (09-20-2018),  JonikW (09-09-2018),  spruithean (09-09-2018),  Username (09-10-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Ethnicity
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63>Y6228
    mtDNA
    H5c

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    I also am looking forward to the fact that it’s not just a one time rewarding experience where you learn some results and that’s it. Until the day I die I can constantly get new matches and new branches in the haplotree as more men test. It’s the gift to myself that keeps on giving. Lastly, I also feel a duty to the science to test to uncover these new snps. If it weren’t for the people who tested before us we wouldn’t have the knowledge we have now.
    That's a valid point, I thought about that also. But I'm sticking with my decision when they lower it below $500 I'm ordering.

Btw how long does it take to get the results?
    Also when they offer a discount or drop the price if someone could notify me I'd appreciate it.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    That's a valid point, I thought about that also. But I'm sticking with my decision when they lower it below $500 I'm ordering.

Btw how long does it take to get the results?
    Also when they offer a discount or drop the price if someone could notify me I'd appreciate it.
    If I remember correctly I ordered Big Y 11/19/2017 and I had my results on 04/18/2018, however the final date of completion is incorrect in terms of SNPs, as that date is for the completion of the 500 STRs. My initial Big Y results were finished 01/17/2018.

The Y-111 was batched 11/22/2017 and was completed 12/13/2017.

I think the FTDNA subforum on Anthrogenica stays pretty up to date with FTDNA sales. Also Roberta Estes' blog often has updates on promotions, sales and coupons and such for FTDNA.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097(Scotland),
    Big Y: I-F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2, R-L21 x2, I-M223, R-S1141, R-U198 & R-U106, mtHg J1c3
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

JonikW (09-10-2018),  Username (09-10-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland
    I ordered a month later than spruithean and got my results a couple of months later than he did, probably because I was in a large sale batch. I'd got to A4577 through Yseq but never would have got to my Swedish match without Big Y. And like mwauthy said, who knows what other matches I may get one day?
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678