Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Ancestry DNA gives me 2% Baltic States. Since I don't have a paper trail leading back to the Baltic States, I strongly suspect that it comes from Germans who had Balt in their genetic make up. Matches to me who have both German and "Baltic States" in them pop up all the time at Ancestry.

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central 75% + 25% Mazovia
    Nationality
    Pole
    Y-DNA
    R1a > M198 > YP 1337

Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    Ancestry DNA gives me 2% Baltic States. Since I don't have a paper trail leading back to the Baltic States, I strongly suspect that it comes from Germans who had Balt in their genetic make up. Matches to me who have both German and "Baltic States" in them pop up all the time at Ancestry.
    How many fennoscandian you have in K36?

Registered Users
    Sex

Germany Galicia
    Quote Originally Posted by lukaszM View Post
    How many fennoscandian you have in K36?
    Where do k36's fennoscandian peaks?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian American
    Nationality
    United States

United States of America
    Iím not really sure analyzing America DNA for Baltic background is justifiable given the varied ancestries of most of us.

Also, how much of that Baltic settlement occurred after the great plagues depleted the former Teutonic Order areas? The Salzburgers, Dutch, Belgians, Heugenots also populated many of the rural areas in the far eastern regions of that province. Iím assuming many Poles and neighboring Balts also moved in to fill the void at the behest of the Prussian government.

Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106-DF98-S4004

[QUOTE=So possibly we will get Old Prussian aDNA, although at that time the area already had other groups as well.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
    How can we distinguish old Prussian DNA from other DNA?
    Thank you, Mario

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kramkowski For This Useful Post:

Tomenable (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kramkowski View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you, Mario
    North-western Lithuanian's DNA can be used as a proxy for Prussians. South-eastern Lithuanians? I will need to have done a full lobotomy reversal before I consider them foreign.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA
    R0a4

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramkowski View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you, Mario
    I guess the only way is to get the ancient old Prussian DNA examples, as well as contemporary examples of neighboring peoples (old Polish, old Lithuana, old German e.t.c). Then we will be able to distinguish and estimate old Prussian DNA percentages in modern populations.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

Bollox79 (12-06-2018),  Kramkowski (12-09-2018),  Tomenable (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European/Celto-Germani
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106-DF98
    mtDNA
    T2b2bIrish/Scan

Ireland Scotland Germany Canada Netherlands Northern Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by artemv View Post
    I guess the only way is to get the ancient old Prussian DNA examples, as well as contemporary examples of neighboring peoples (old Polish, old Lithuana, old German e.t.c). Then we will be able to distinguish and estimate old Prussian DNA percentages in modern populations.
    Yes aDNA samples would be best... from an known time period and burial context. For instance it was assumed that because R1b-U106 is common in German speaking countries... that it have a lot to do with ancient Germanic tribes... and it is turning out that is for the most part true (especially for some sub groups - though some sub groups may have slightly different story or have spread in the Bronze or Iron Age? That is why we need more from established context) from the results we have from Longobard burial sites (Szolad and Collegno), Baiuvarii around Munich (Altenerding, Straubing, and Altheim), and the Alamanni burial site of Niedserstotzingen and some other random sites such as the Chieftain's chamber grave of Poprad, Slovakia. I want to see next some Thuringian, Frankish, Saxon burial sites tested etc to see if the trend continues ;-). In particular I want to see if my sub group of U106 - DF98 - has anything to do with the ancient tribes of the Thuringi and Saxons as we have House of Wettin in our group of DF98 - and their earliest ancestor is supposed to be agnatically related to Margrave Rikdag - who was in turn descended from the early East Saxon magnate families... tribal nobility etc. Maybe it turns up in Saxon or Thuringian remains?
    Last edited by Bollox79; 12-06-2018 at 07:12 AM.
    Y-DNA: 4th GGF Adam Weaver born 1785 in Pennsylvania - Sergeant in US 17th Infantry, War of 1812: R1b-U106-Z381-Z156-Z305/306/307-Z304-DF98-S1911-S1894/S1900-S4004/FGC14818/FGC14823-FGC14816/FGC14817. I share these SNPs w/ York Gladiator 6drif-3!

mtDNA: 3rd GGM Bridget Dana b. 1843 Ireland - T2b2b - Ireland, Scandinavia and Hungary - T2b female warrior Grave Bj 581 near Birka, Sweden. Relative of King Bela III of Hungary (his Y-DNA and autosomal kinsman buried near him had mtDNA T2b2b1)!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bollox79 For This Useful Post:

artemv (12-14-2018),  Michał (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I wonder where my 2% Balt (Ancestry DNA) came from. It must either be mixed with German ancestors or Scandinavian ancestors. Or? I don't have any Slavic.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 12-06-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    I wonder where my 2% Balt (Ancestry DNA) came from. It must either be mixed with German ancestors or Scandinavian ancestors. Or? I don't have any Slavic.
    1. Don't put too much weight on the accuracy of results from services like Ancestry DNA. They're mostly accurate at the continent level (European, Sub Saharan African, East Asian, etc.) Anything below that is a rough estimate.

2. 2% is almost at the level of random noise, and could just be shared ancestry with some of your other European components.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psynome For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (12-07-2018),  Michał (12-06-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast