Thread: Help with Y-DNA not matching my Surname

Registered Users
    Sex

Help with Y-DNA not matching my Surname

I donít know if this the place to ask this, but I am trying to see how my Y-DNA doesnít match my surname and who my great great grandfather parents were. I'm researching my Hale family tree and I had a yDNA test performed by Family Tree DNA (FDNA) hoping to find yDNA matches with other Hale's at the Hale DNA project at FTDNA. The only Hale I matched was a known cousin. My cousin and I DO NOT match any other Hale at the project. FTDNA notified my cousin and I that we matched the following surnames: Acker, Aker and Akers. Another cousin I found through ancestry research said her mother told her and her brother that they were not really Hale, they were Aker. This cousin's mother said an Aker was taken in by a Hale family and changed their Aker name to Hale.

I have not been able to discover any adoptions or other events that would have an Acker, Aker, or Akers taken in by a Hale family. I did contact a person named Aker that my Y-DNA (67 Marker) matches from FTDNA and he has no information as to any Aker that he knows that may have been adopted or taken in by a Hale family.

My great great grandfather is thought to have been born about 1815 in Wythe County, VA. But, according to the Wythe County Historical Society, no Hale family was living in the county during the time he would have been born. But they stated that Haleís were born during that time frame in surrounding counties.

I did find this info on some Akers:
    Thomas Jefferson Acres is listed in the "Lost Children of Wythe Co VAĒ (by Mary B. Kegley) on page 122 as "poor boy, bound to George Keesling on June 5, last, and George now being deceased, it is ordered that he be bound out again. George Keesling, father of George, deceased, consented thereto." There was no information as to which family he
    went to next. I also, found information that an unnamed Akers was apprenticed to an unnamed family and was removed from that family and rebound to another family because of ill treatment. No information on which family he was rebound to.

Thanks for any help.

John Hale

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    John:

Putting your Ancestry contact's mother's oral history together with the paper trail and DNA, this does suggest to me that you could be an Akers who was taken in by Hales.

If this tentative identification is correct, you might say that, after the two families that did not work out for your young ancestor, the child might have been very grateful when things did, and so could have changed his name willingly to that of his foster family.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

migoblu (10-13-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    John:

Putting your Ancestry contact's mother's oral history together with the paper trail and DNA, this does suggest to me that you could be an Akers who was taken in by Hales.

If this tentative identification is correct, you might say that, after the two families that did not work out for your young ancestor, the child might have been very grateful when things did, and so could have changed his name willingly to that of his foster family.
    Thanks for your reply. This may be the reason that I can't find any information on my great great grandfather before he and his wife and 4 children are shown in the 1850 census for Perry County, KY. They then show up in the 1860 census for Magoffin County, KY.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    My pleasure. I don't know if the counties in your neck of the woods had courthouse fires, which makes things a lot tougher to track down, but it sounds like you've done your hoemework and I think you are on to something.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut