J1c5
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-U152
    mtDNA (P)
    U7a5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Could you plot my father please?????
    Wrong coordinates, these are G25, I need the Celtic vs Germanic coords.
    מכורותיך ומולדותיך מארץ הכנעני אביך האמורי ואמך חתית
    יחזקאל פרק טז ג-

᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

Awale (10-27-2020),  JMcB (10-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland
    Ops ok I don’t have those.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-27-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny ola View Post
    I think the Nord (French department) has many people without being clearly of French roots-origins.There are people with Belgian-Dutch roots or even British.

De Gauelle for example was prolly not French or at least it is not 100% confirmed.I think thats a problem in the whole France and it has to do with people who also come from Iberia and Italy during the periods and changed their names and surnames to French.How many ethnic French nowdays have grandparents and grandmothers from Italy,Spain,Belgium,Netherlands etc?

Even Macron himself is partly British.My point is that these outliers in some French samples might be people with mixed background.
    Yes, you are right, it's becoming rarer and rarer to meet a French person without at least one drop of foreign ancestry.The thing is that this kind of samples are not of any interest to study a specific region in an historical context. Regarding the French samples on the G25, they didn't control any of their genealogy, they just had a surname and a DNA sample, associated with a specific Medical center, didn't know anything about their background, then I speculate that they removed obvious outliers by checking their admixture scores. The problem then is that it distorts all the averages coordinates for these regions and they become useless to work with. Maybe you are right too, the point is we don't know their background, but would have been nice to have proper academic samples from all these areas, they just give a rough idea at most. I heard they also have some Burgundians but didn't see them on the G25, would like to see some Poitou-Charente samples too, that's one of the missing French areas on the G25, Paris samples are useless they don't mean anything. Yes, I head Macron has a British ancestor, his maternal grand-parents also came from Pyrénees (South-Western France). What about Greek samples on the G25, are you satisfied with them ?
    Last edited by jstephan; 10-28-2020 at 12:27 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  JMcB (10-28-2020),  Johnny ola (10-28-2020),  Ruderico (10-28-2020),  sktibo (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by jstephan View Post
    Yes, you are right, it's becoming rarer and rarer to meet a French person without at least one drop of foreign ancestry.The thing is that this kind of samples are not of any interest to study a specific region in an historical context. Regarding the French samples on the G25, they didn't control any of their genealogy, they just had a surname and a DNA sample, associated with a specific Medical center, didn't know anything about their background, then I speculate that they removed obvious outliers by checking their admixture scores. The problem then is that it distorts all the averages coordinates for these regions and they become useless to work with. Maybe you are right too, the point is we don't know their background, but would have been nice to have proper academic samples from all these areas, they just give a rough idea at most. I heard they also have some Burgundians but didn't see them on the G25, would like to see some Poitou-Charente samples too, that's one of the missing French areas on the G25, Paris samples are useless they don't mean anything. Yes, I head Macron has a British ancestor, his maternal grand-parents also came from Pyrénees (South-Western France). What about Greek samples on the G25, are you satisfied with them ?
    I agree with your comment. Its hard to find a pure ethnic French nowadays. I am looking at footballers,actors, singers, politicians and journalists and many of them have at least one grandparent or grandmother from Italy, Spain, Belenux, Britain, Jewish origins as well.

I want to see Celtic(Gaul), Frankish medieval samples from Clovis and later Charlemagne periods and ofc samples from the period of the first Crusade.If we have some specific papers from these periods we are going to understand the french genetics way better.But overall the samples in G25 ARE between Northern Europe and South Europe. They have actually the same pretty much Steppe and EEF amounts like South Slavs(Croats, Serbs, Slovenes, Bosnians).I am calling it the central European cluster,witch includes also Austrians, South Germans, Hungarians. Its sad actually that the motherland of Europe lacks ancient DNA and we have only some low res samples and ofc we are not even sure if these samples represent 100% Gauls. France should have been more sampled,its the biggest country in Europe afterall and it has an important history for the development of Europe and the western civilization. I was expected more studies from there.

About Greece the things are quite good for such a chaotic and diverse nation.The majority of modern samples in G25 making sense. In Greece the people with exception languange and religion they have nothing else in common. Most people here used to mix with its own ethnic group(tribe let's say). Its the younger generations and the Urban way of life that is making modern Greeks very mixed. I am also a lucky guy since my familly trace their roots-origins from the same place. Most people at my age here have parents with ancestry from 3,4 different parts...so their autosomal DNA is getting very complicated. France even for such a big country things are way better and more homogeneous compared to Greece and Italy.

BTW I have a stupid question for you. There are people in France who claim ancestry from nobility individuals? I mean there are still people in France who belong to the old royal houses like those of the Crusades? In Greece many people inclunding me we got ancestry from Byzantine and Medieval emperors, soldgiers, monks, priests, high nobility houses and clans etc. I am wondering if there are French guys who can claim origins from Godfrey of Boulion for example. Or from Raymond IV of Toulouse, or from Stephan of Blois and other medieval knights. Is this nobility still alive in modern French or after the French Revolution this type of nobility completely vanished?

Here is my ancestor if you are not bored you can read. Its from wiki but those who write it, made a good job. My family's origins going back to Byzantium Empire. They were high ranking soldiers who fought against Turks and Arabs. Some of them even allied with Crusaders during the first crusade.I am wondering if French guys can claim such ancestry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabras

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  jstephan (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    I agree with your comment. Its hard to find a pure ethnic French nowadays. I am looking at footballers,actors, singers, politicians and journalists and many of them have at least one grandparent or grandmother from Italy, Spain, Belenux, Britain, Jewish origins as well.

I want to see Celtic(Gaul), Frankish medieval samples from Clovis and later Charlemagne periods and ofc samples from the period of the first Crusade.If we have some specific papers from these periods we are going to understand the french genetics way better.But overall the samples in G25 ARE between Northern Europe and South Europe. They have actually the same pretty much Steppe and EEF amounts like South Slavs(Croats, Serbs, Slovenes, Bosnians).I am calling it the central European cluster,witch includes also Austrians, South Germans, Hungarians. Its sad actually that the motherland of Europe lacks ancient DNA and we have only some low res samples and ofc we are not even sure if these samples represent 100% Gauls. France should have been more sampled,its the biggest country in Europe afterall and it has an important history for the development of Europe and the western civilization. I was expected more studies from there.

About Greece the things are quite good for such a chaotic and diverse nation.The majority of modern samples in G25 making sense. In Greece the people with exception languange and religion they have nothing else in common. Most people here used to mix with its own ethnic group(tribe let's say). Its the younger generations and the Urban way of life that is making modern Greeks very mixed. I am also a lucky guy since my familly trace their roots-origins from the same place. Most people at my age here have parents with ancestry from 3,4 different parts...so their autosomal DNA is getting very complicated. France even for such a big country things are way better and more homogeneous compared to Greece and Italy.

BTW I have a stupid question for you. There are people in France who claim ancestry from nobility individuals? I mean there are still people in France who belong to the old royal houses like those of the Crusades? In Greece many people inclunding me we got ancestry from Byzantine and Medieval emperors, soldgiers, monks, priests, high nobility houses and clans etc. I am wondering if there are French guys who can claim origins from Godfrey of Boulion for example. Or from Raymond IV of Toulouse, or from Stephan of Blois and other medieval knights. Is this nobility still alive in modern French or after the French Revolution this type of nobility completely vanished?

Here is my ancestor if you are not bored you can read. Its from wiki but those who write it, made a good job. My family's origins going back to Byzantium Empire. They were high ranking soldiers who fought against Turks and Arabs. Some of them even allied with Crusaders during the first crusade.I am wondering if French guys can claim such ancestry.

We got some Gaulish samples with the Ancestra project, unfortunately all of them have a low coverage so they can just give a rough idea, it appears that ancient Gauls were more or less in between ancient Britons (Northern Gauls) and Celtiberians (Southern Gauls), which was not a surprise, but we don't know much more of them apart that they ranged more or less like modern French people, they are the ones labelled FRA_IA on the G25. I would love to see some ancient Merovingian samples too.

It's difficult to put France in a specific category in term of DNA to be honest, I prefer to see it as a transitional country between Northern and Southern Europe, nothing more, nothing less.

Not sure about people claiming ancestry from ancient knights, there must be but not in my surrounding, but medieval feasts are very popular and many people like that kind of stuff.

Generalissimo announced yesterday that we are going to get new Celtic samples from Britain, France and Italy.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  Helgenes50 (10-28-2020),  jadegreg (10-28-2020),  Johnny ola (10-28-2020),  Trelvern (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Generalissimo announced yesterday that we are going to get new Celtic samples from Britain, France and Italy.
    Do you happen to know if that's the upcoming Reich study?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  jstephan (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Y13432

France
    Quote Originally Posted by jadegreg View Post
    Do you happen to know if that's the upcoming Reich study?
    Not sure sorry, I asked on the French forum but got no answer.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstephan For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  jadegreg (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF98
    mtDNA (M)
    X2b4

United Kingdom England Wales Devon Cornwall
    Not sure sorry, I asked on the French forum but got no answer.
    Here's hoping! Should be with us by the end of the year, according to Reich.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jadegreg For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  jstephan (10-28-2020),  sktibo (10-28-2020)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L813 >Y36690
    mtDNA (M)
    H3s
    mtDNA (P)
    H3s

Normandie France Bretagne

Not at all, It is very easy to find 100% French individuals, but not among those you mention. In this case, we are talking about two very different worlds. But the latter show the example. French also has a particularity, that of not loving each other. Perhaps because France since the revolution is more of an ideology before being a country with real roots. Before being Breton, Norman ... you must be a citizen of the republic ... a real steamroller that destroys all identities.
    Recent Ancestry, full Normand. Known Genealogy 7/8 of the Cotentin peninsula 1/8 region of Coutances. Unfortunately, there are many missing branches on the maternal side.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Helgenes50 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  jadegreg (10-28-2020),  Johnny ola (10-28-2020),  jstephan (10-28-2020),  sktibo (10-28-2020)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a2b1 M406> FGC5081

Quote Originally Posted by Helgenes50 View Post
    Not at all, It is very easy to find 100% French individuals, but not among those you mention. In this case, we are talking about two very different worlds. But the latter show the example. French also has a particularity, that of not loving each other. Perhaps because France since the revolution is more of an ideology before being a country with real roots. Before being Breton, Norman ... you must be a citizen of the republic ... a real steamroller that destroys all identities.

I understand. My point it was that many ethnic French nowadays are of mixed background but ofc you can easily find pure French people as well, but as you mention it is way easier among local people. I was looking mostly at celebrities that's why I got this wrong imagination. I will be honest, French revolution had many goods and also many bad things.. But medieval and Napopeonic France was by far the best periods for France in the history. I think also during the period of Crusades besides the feudalistic economic system France overall was more united, when also religion was strong and had an impact to the French societies.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny ola For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (10-28-2020),  Helgenes50 (10-28-2020),  jstephan (10-28-2020)

Page 169 of 170 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170 LastLast