british
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b

England Ireland Spain Northern Ireland

ancestry DNA update: Catman

hello

my ancestry DNA update has me coming out very French !

I have no known recent French ancestors ?

my old results were like this :

2. The Following User Says Thank You to catman44 For This Useful Post:

Scarlet Ibis (09-23-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Belarus Lithuania Kazakhstan Ukraine
    Definitely either either your Irish English or Spanish showing, all 3 of those always get caught up in other overlapping regions like France.
    Final Ancestry Paper Trail Tally:
    1/4 Russian, 1/8 Ashkenazi, 1/8 Belarusian, 1/8 Lithuanian, 1/8 Ukrainian, 1/8 Italian, 1/16 Kazakh, ~ 1/16 Black, 1/128 Uzbek

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c
    mtDNA (P)
    I1a1

England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    Looks like another bang up job by AncestryDNA, whose slogan is “No French? No problem!”

Or my favorite “AncestryDNA: If you are not NW European, you are French!”
    Last edited by digital_noise; 09-23-2018 at 06:21 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Dimanto (09-25-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by digital_noise View Post
    Looks like another bang up job by AncestryDNA, whose slogan is “No French? No problem!”

Or my favorite “AncestryDNA: If you are not NW European, you are French!”
    You might note that a significant portion of France isn't in the "France" region. Some of France -- including the location from which my Alsatian ancestors immigrated -- is in both the "Germanic Europe" region and the "England, Wales and Northwestern Europe" region. But it isn't in the "France" region. (My Alsatian ancestors account for 6.2% of my ancestry, on paper.)

Another part of northern France is only in the "England, Wales and Northwestern Europe" region. This includes Brittany -- which is understandable -- but it also includes all the rest of the northern coast of France. Included in my small amount of French ancestry (another 3.1%, on paper) is an immigrant from Brittany and another from Picardy.

But there's another French ancestor who immigrated from southern France. I suspect the reason I still don't get any French is that I don't have enough French ancestry from the "right" region.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

Quote Originally Posted by catman44 View Post
    hello

my old results were like this :

While I can't say that this has anything to do with why my "Iberian Peninsula" (9%) and Italy/Greece (2%) disappeared in the "update", if you look really closely at both maps you'll see that the island of Menorca -- the source of 12.5% of my ancestry via paper trail -- is well within the old "Iberian Peninsula" region and very near the western edge of the old "Italy/Greece" region. Oddly enough, it isn't in any region on the updated map.

As far as your situation is concerned, do you perhaps have a Spanish parent and an Irish parent? The total of "Ireland and Scotland" plus "England, Wales and Northwestern Europe" is just a few percent less than 50%, and the total of "France", "Spain", "Portugal", and "Basque" is about the same amount more than 50%.

Previously, your results leaned a bit more heavily toward the "Great Britain" and "Ireland" combination, while the "Italy/Greece" and "Iberian Peninsula" were quite a bit lower than the "France-Spain-Portugal-Basque" combination. As a previous poster pointed out, there's a lot of overlap here.

EDIT: Is part of your Spanish ancestry from northeastern Spain?
    Last edited by geebee; 09-23-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & another NA tribe, possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    While I can't say that this has anything to do with why my "Iberian Peninsula" (9%) and Italy/Greece (2%) disappeared in the "update", if you look really closely at both maps you'll see that the island of Menorca -- the source of 12.5% of my ancestry via paper trail -- is well within the old "Iberian Peninsula" region and very near the western edge of the old "Italy/Greece" region. Oddly enough, it isn't in any region on the updated map.
    Menorca doesn't show within the region boundaries on the main map, but if you go to the maps on the Read More pages, it's in the outermost bands of "Spain", "Sardinia" and "Basque".

c35cabf7-1ee9-4a0d-8131-2444283b70cd.png

9f1e7c1e-c8b0-4275-b0fd-2e5294ee4c02.png

f2bbff27-4787-48e8-94ed-164f14971e68.png
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 09-24-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

geebee (09-25-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-M269
    mtDNA (P)
    K2b1a1a

United States of America England Wales Sweden Germany
    My sister gets exactly as much French as we should, and my French is in NW Europe. English being portrayed as French used to be really common (Europe West), but seems quite rare now.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA (M)
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by catman44 View Post
    hello

If you go to the "Read More" page for the "France" region, the more detailed map there shows that the outermost band of this region actually encompasses most of Spain!

39653909-d358-4978-a9d6-5c2a64949ba9.png
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    british/spanish
    Nationality
    british
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b

England Ireland Spain Northern Ireland
    I am half Spanish, half British. My British mother is half northern English half Irish by blood. My father is from toledo province. His father was also from toledo while his mother was from valladolid

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bg

Quote Originally Posted by PoxVoldius View Post
    Menorca doesn't show within the region boundaries on the main map, but if you go to the maps on the Read More pages, it's in the outermost bands of "Spain", "Sardinia" and "Basque".

c35cabf7-1ee9-4a0d-8131-2444283b70cd.png

9f1e7c1e-c8b0-4275-b0fd-2e5294ee4c02.png

f2bbff27-4787-48e8-94ed-164f14971e68.png
    You're right, although strictly speaking the line marking the outer edge of the outermost ring of "Basque" actually passes through Menora; the ring does not include the entire island. My assumption would be that, in reality, the whole island is either in or out.

At this point, I have no idea whether there's any empirical basis for determining exactly how far the rings extend -- or don't extend. Does Ancestry, in fact, have anyone from Menorca in any reference population? How many customers do they have from Menorca, or with known Menorcan ancestry?

At the very least, in each of the three regions Menorca is close to the outermost edge of the region -- or as I mentioned, in one case actually straddling that edge.

EDIT:

My ancestry in Menorca is documented back to the 16th century. However, I do have to admit that in that century one of my 10th great grandfathers was actually born on Mallorca. But he had moved to Menorca by the time of his marriage in 1586.
    Last edited by geebee; 09-25-2018 at 12:21 AM.

GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast