Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethnic Music Thread

Registered Users
    Sex

United States of America Dravida Nadu
    Happy Onam! The post-monsoon harvest festival. This is similar to Tamil folk music apart from the choir and use of drumming sticks (chenda). Interestingly many Keralite christmas "carols" follow these musical tunes/beats with modified lyrics.

One of the fathers of Kerala folk music, C J Kuttappan (ignore the dubstep, lol)

Last edited by Mandoos; 09-05-2014 at 05:31 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandoos For This Useful Post:

escalation (09-06-2014),  MikeWhalen (11-30-2014),  soulblighter (02-10-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (11-10-2015)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian/Iraqi Bedouin
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    T
    mtDNA (M)
    J1b

Jordan Jabal Shammar Yemen Adygea Iraq
    Bedouin from Jordan

Shammar Bedouin song from my clan

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alanson For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-24-2015),  MikeWhalen (09-10-2014),  soulblighter (02-10-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (11-10-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z17695
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a19

Lazistan Byzantine Empire Great Seljuk Empire Ottoman Empire 2
    Terminal SNPs: FGC31931/V2381 • PF6576 • PF7562 • PH1631/V2850

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icebreaker For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-24-2015),  Caspian (11-30-2014),  MikeWhalen (11-30-2014),  soulblighter (02-10-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (11-10-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

This Korean old "Zither Musical instrument" is really calming. Korean is such a beautiful language too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Mamluk (02-11-2015),  soulblighter (02-10-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a F1345
    mtDNA (M)
    B5B1c

Palestine Ottoman Empire Philippines Spain Albania Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    I get goose-bumps sometimes when I listen to the haunting and beautiful chants of songs from Serbia and Kosovo.

I was once floating in a boat down the Danube in the Đerdap region of Serbia, and I spent the frigid morning wrapped in a blanket, drifting in a thick mist. As the fog burned off later on, most of the day I was surrounded by looming cliffs and lush, verdant forests; and the occasional village would come into view. Then I heard some drum beats and a man's chant in the distance, which seemed to invoke the voices of ancestors long gone, calling out to me, as if something they had once lost was returning to them, even if for a fleeting instant. It was amazing.

This video clip demonstrates a glimpse of part of the story of the Balkan dilemma: a young man joining the Serbian army to defend against the invading Ottomans, and what appears to be to avenge the death of a woman, Zare, maybe his bride.
    And the song mentions fighting the Albanians too. The sad twist is that the Albanians were the first Balkan people to be forcefully subjugated by Ottomans, and the initial ranks of janissaries came from Albanians, then later from Serbs too. Those janissaries were then sent out to fight against their own brethren, and the cycle continued for a few centuries.

The Serbs relate a horrific ritual once practiced, that if an Ottoman army officer heard about a wedding taking place in a particular village, he would crash the party and claim the bride for himself, before throwing her back to her husband.

Žali Zare da žalimo ... "Mourning for Zare"

I also like the vocals and drums in this version:

When I hear their voices, I get a feeling of melancholy nostalgia for my own Serbian and Albanian ancestry. I often get that feeling when I look at the faces of my wife and children too.

My avatar is the Turkic-Bulgar symbol of the Mamluk sultan, Baybars, whose name means "chief leopard." He transplanted the steppe-style comitatus and postal system to the sultanate, and installed his secret couriers to operate it. (My surname is a relic of these Kipchak-Cuman couriers.) This leopard symbol is often found on structures he commissioned throughout Palestine. A similar one is used as the emblem of the Kazan Tatars, and is portrayed as a snow leopard, Aq-Bars.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mamluk For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-24-2015),  Michał (12-31-2019),  surbakhunWeesste (11-10-2015),  Táltos (02-14-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turk
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z17695
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a19

Lazistan Byzantine Empire Great Seljuk Empire Ottoman Empire 2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to icebreaker For This Useful Post:

Mamluk (03-04-2015)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    u2b2 gonur;swat

The enticing Robab

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-24-2015),  Kaido (03-04-2015),  Mamluk (03-04-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a F1345
    mtDNA (M)
    B5B1c

Palestine Ottoman Empire Philippines Spain Albania Spanish Empire (1506-1701)
    Icebreaker, can you read Greek? I cannot, but the last photo's caption is labeled Kerkira (which is island of Corfu?)--I'm guessing refugees from Tsambasin fled there?
    Even after more than 150 years of Turkish rule I heard that some of the elders of Trebizond don't speak Turkish very well, they still speak Pontic Greek.

My avatar is the Turkic-Bulgar symbol of the Mamluk sultan, Baybars, whose name means "chief leopard." He transplanted the steppe-style comitatus and postal system to the sultanate, and installed his secret couriers to operate it. (My surname is a relic of these Kipchak-Cuman couriers.) This leopard symbol is often found on structures he commissioned throughout Palestine. A similar one is used as the emblem of the Kazan Tatars, and is portrayed as a snow leopard, Aq-Bars.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kassitic acolyte
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1a1b1a1(J-PF7263)
    mtDNA (M)
    J2b1

Haroona baroona from loorestan:

One of my favorite type of music(bushehri, south-iranian coastal music, the goat-skin bagpipe is exceptional)

traditional ilami music, with a montage of ilam and different cultural activities/items:
    Last edited by Arbogan; 04-25-2015 at 12:17 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Arbogan For This Useful Post:

jesus (04-24-2015)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kurdish (from Turkey)
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-L29
    mtDNA (M)
    H

Kurdistan Turkey Kurdistan Kingdom Germany Bundeswappen
    These are ours (a few examples)

Last edited by Magnetic; 04-25-2015 at 12:36 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnetic For This Useful Post:

Arbogan (04-25-2015),  surbakhunWeesste (11-10-2015)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast