Thread: Haplogroup I-BY526

Sex

Haplogroup I-BY526

I found out at the age of 55 I was adopted and although I have managed to find my maternal side it is increasing difficult to find paternal connections (I am male), therefore I have now resorted to DNA testing. I have done 23andME and am also waiting results on Ancestry

Is there anyone out there that has any success in locating their biological parents in this way?

Thanks

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heywyre For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (09-26-2018),  JonikW (09-27-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L338
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

United Kingdom Northumberland European Union
    According to YFull's age estimate, I-BY526 has a common ancestor approximately 2700 years ago: https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-Y8935/

I'm not adopted myself so I haven't been down this route and my advice may not be the most appropriate. Perhaps get other opinions from other adoptees - I often see the Facebook group DNA Detectives mentioned as a good place for adoptees looking for advice. In my opinion, I wouldn't say that Y-DNA is the best for fishing for a biological parent. There are a few reasons why I say this: for people that you match closely on Y-DNA, the common ancestor may be pretty far in the past (ie several hundred or thousand years - you may be matching to a long distance many times cousin); the Y-DNA testing database is rather small compared to the autosomal DNA testing database; you would miss out on relatives that are on your paternal side who are not on your Y-line (say your biological father's mother for example).

I would use Y-DNA as a way to confirm or disconfirm a relationship after you've established some paternal connections through autosomal DNA or any paper trail you can find through adoption records. I think this is better than trying to "fish" for a paternal relative through Y-DNA testing, which can be like trying to find a needle in a haystack (or even a farm). Of course, some people get lucky and find a close relative through Y-DNA testing, but I think the chances of success are higher using autosomal DNA testing - it casts a larger net over more people. The 23andme and Ancestry tests are primarily autosomal DNA tests - you can also download the raw data and upload to some of the other sites such as FamilyTreeDNA, MyHeritage and Gedmatch which can potentially get you in touch with relatives who have tested at one of those - the fish in every pond approach. Good luck in your search.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-18-2019),  JonikW (09-27-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L338
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

Posted reply on wrong thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deadly77; 01-18-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Posted reply on wrong thread.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-L338
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

Posted reply on wrong thread.
    Last edited by deadly77; 01-18-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Posted reply on wrong thread.