Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC5512
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England

Your DNA Is Not Your Culture...

Nice read on a important and very relevant subject:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ulture/571150/

A Spotify playlist tailored to your DNA is the latest example of brands cashing in on people’s search for identity.
    There is a very important point to be made here, and that is that a DNA test does not change your cultural or ethnic identity..

PS: please read the whole article, it is not really about Spotify, but about the issues relating to ethnicity, identity etc in relation to DNA tests..
    Last edited by evon; 09-26-2018 at 04:08 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

Abd.H (09-27-2018),  AJL (10-13-2018),  Anglecynn (10-02-2018),  Eihwaz (09-26-2018),  Erik (10-01-2018),  euromutt (09-26-2018),  Jane Doe (10-11-2018),  Kurki (09-29-2018),  mihaitzateo (02-10-2019),  slievenamon (09-27-2018),  spruithean (09-26-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Ethnicity
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63>Y6228
    mtDNA
    H5c

Dna doesn't change or define culture. Education system, media and technology changes culture.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Username For This Useful Post:

Eihwaz (09-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    Your DNA Is Not Your Culture...
    *discards of body pillow*
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.6% Greek & Balkan (4% Broadly South Euro), 35.7% East Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 6.5% Broadly Euro
    MyHeritage: 92.2% Balkan, 5.8% English, 1.1% Eskimo, 0.9% Japanese
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia
    Global 25: Anatolia_N 50.2%, EHG 32.6%, CHG 11.2%, WHG 3.8%, East Asian 2.2%
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (09-27-2018),  John Doe (10-02-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC5512
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Dna doesn't change or define culture. Education system, media and technology changes culture.
    I think you misunderstood the point here, it is that even if, as an example taken from the article, you get German on a DNA test/estimation, it does not mean that you are therefore ethnically or culturally German. An example of this sort of mentality can be seen on this forum too, with ridiculous thread titles such as "Are you a Gypsy? would you like to know?", or even more bizarre "IM'A VARANGIAN?".. The bottom line is that many people seem to confuse ancestry with heritage, the former based in biology and the latter in culture...

From the article:
    First, the accuracy of these tests is unproven (as detailed here and here). But putting that aside, consider simply what it means to get a surprise result of, say, 15 percent German. If you speak no German, celebrate no German traditions, have never cooked German food, and know no Germans, what connection is there, really? Cultural identity is the sum total of all of these experiences. DNA alone does not supersede it.

Listening to 99 Luftballons or rooting for Germany in the World Cup is fairly trivial as these things go. But this wave of marketing campaigns encourages a way of thinking—that you can pick and choose which fractional parts of genetic identity to highlight when it makes for good cocktail-party conversation.
    Last edited by evon; 09-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

mihaitzateo (02-10-2019),  spruithean (09-26-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Ethnicity
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63>Y6228
    mtDNA
    H5c

My point was it doesn't matter what your Dna results tell you, as a person you won't change and your personality will stay the same. If someone suspects they might be a descendant of a Varangian for example how does that change the culture this individual grew up in or belongs to? Besides there's no such thing as a Varangian culture and if there was it's been extinct for a very long time so how does a sane individual get influenced by that in any significant degree?

As for this Ancestry music playlist thing you really think someone will change their taste in music because of that? Of course not. People will keep liking what they like. It's a silly idea ment to attract more customers, nothing more.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    the thread title belongs in the no shit Sherlock category. did somebody actually get paid to write that piece? also, how one "identifies" is purely subjective and influenced by things external. meaning your DNA is your DNA and will not change, period. how you "identify" and which culture you follow can change.

here is a prime example of culture and changes while DNA doesn't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcp8rN-YqLw
    Last edited by JerryS.; 09-26-2018 at 01:17 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JerryS. For This Useful Post:

Schleswig (09-27-2018)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Pred.Anglo-Saxon + Briton
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1b S21184, BY50830+
    mtDNA
    U4b1a2 - FGS

Canada England Wales Netherlands France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by evon View Post
    Nice read on a important and very relevant subject:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ulture/571150/

There is a very important point to be made here, and that is that a DNA test does not change your cultural or ethnic identity..
    Some countries, well, most countries outside of western Europe / western world tend to think otherwise. I'm not sure there is a global consensus here, or even a drive for said countries to make such a cultural move.
    YDNA: R1b-Z220 (A7066+) (1800's Stepney, London(Bethnal Green), UK George Wood b. 1782
    maternal-grandfather YDNA: prob. I1 Gurr, George 1843, Feversham, Kent, England.
    maternal-grandmother YDNA: R1b-P311+ Beech, John Richard b. 1780, Lewes, England
    maternal-ggrandfather YDNA R1b-U106 Thomas, Edward b 1854, Sittingbourne, Kent
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Gould, John Somerset England 1800s.
    paternal-ggf YDNA: R1b-L48. Scott, William Hamilton mdka Ireland(?) < 1800s

Gold Member Class
    Ethnicity
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Y-DNA
    I1-Z63>Y6228
    mtDNA
    H5c

Thank you Jerry. Evon don't get upset. The idea of the thread is still an interesting subject, if it wasn't I wouldn't bother spending my time typing this shit from my phone which I don't enjoy much. And I'm not disagreeing with the message you're attempting to convey, neither did I misunderstand it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Username For This Useful Post:

evon (09-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC5512
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    My point was it doesn't matter what your Dna results tell you, as a person you won't change and your personality will stay the same. If someone suspects they might be a descendant of a Varangian for example how does that change the culture this individual grew up in or belongs to? Besides there's no such thing as a Varangian culture and if there was it's been extinct for a very long time so how does a sane individual get influenced by that in any significant degree?

As for this Ancestry music playlist thing you really think someone will change their taste in music because of that? Of course not. People will keep liking what they like. It's a silly idea ment to attract more customers, nothing more.
    I get the feeling that we are talking past each other here, as I was merely presenting the article's view and saying that I agree with it.

Furthermore, even though the article topic is obvious to many of us, you would be surprised how common it is for people to try to "claim" a new identity based on their DNA results (in my experience this is especially true for Brits and Americans, although I have also seen it among Norwegians too), as seems to be the case with the threads I posted (there are likely better threads, than the Varangian thread, on the subject if you spend time looking for them. The Gypsy thread being a better example).
    Last edited by evon; 09-26-2018 at 03:02 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

Username (09-27-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC5512
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Quote Originally Posted by ADW_1981 View Post
    Some countries, well, most countries outside of western Europe / western world tend to think otherwise. I'm not sure there is a global consensus here, or even a drive for said countries to make such a cultural move.
    The example of Native Americans from the article hits the nail in respect to the Americas..

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast