Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Newbie trying to find my way

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Posts
    2
    Sex

    Newbie trying to find my way

    Hello -- I have taken the ftdna Y-67 test. The results show I am in the I1-M253 Haplogroup. Am just beginning to decipher the terminology. Am not sure what subclades are involved. I believe I may be linked to an old name in Dal Riata (No. Ireland / Western Scotland) know as MacGillehattan (sic?). My earliest known male ancestor has surname McHatton in Ireland or Scotland born abt 1814. Any help or guidance would be most greatly appreciated !!
    Last edited by RayMc; 09-26-2018 at 06:37 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayMc For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (09-26-2018),  JonikW (09-27-2018)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    766
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMc View Post
    Hello -- I have taken the ftdna Y-67 test. The results show I am in the I1-M253 Haplogroup. Am just beginning to decipher the terminology. Am not sure what subclades are involved. I believe I may be linked to an old name in Dal Riata (No. Ireland / Western Scotland) know as MacGillehattan (sic?). My earliest known male ancestor has surname McHatton in Ireland or Scotland born abt 1814. Any help or guidance would be most greatly appreciated !!
    Hi RayMc, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the I1 family!

    Firstly, if you have tested your Y-DNA with FTDNA you will want to join the I1 Haplogroup Project, from there the administrators will be able to place you in an appropriate group and offer guidance on what SNP testing routes you could take be they simple SNP packs or the full Big Y deal. You may also want to join a surname project that features your surname or any variant spelling.

    The surname Mac Gille Chatain could be from anywhere in that it is a patronymic, however I suppose areas with devotion to St. Catan would be areas at the top of the list in terms of research properties.

    Considering you belong to I-M253 it's possible your paternal lineage did not originate amongst the Gaels of Dál Riata, but perhaps with Germanic-speaking groups who made their way to Scotland and Ireland.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097(Scotland),
    Big Y: I-F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2, R-L21 x2, I-M223, R-S1141, R-U198 & R-U106, mtHg J1c3
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     deadly77 (09-27-2018),  JMcB (09-26-2018),  JonikW (09-27-2018)

  5. #3
    Junior Member
    Posts
    2
    Sex

    Thank you. Will I necessarily need to spend more $$ on SNP packs, etc? I am sure ftDNA will be glad to "guide" me into purchasing further testing / data.

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    766
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMc View Post
    Thank you. Will I necessarily need to spend more $$ on SNP packs, etc? I am sure ftDNA will be glad to "guide" me into purchasing further testing / data.
    The administrators of DNA projects who can guide you are not employees of FTDNA.

    SNP packs and single SNPs themselves are cheaper and you can actually order SNP tests from another company called YSEQ for a fairly good price.

    SNP testing is entirely dependent on your interest in this and what your goals are.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097(Scotland),
    Big Y: I-F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2, R-L21 x2, I-M223, R-S1141, R-U198 & R-U106, mtHg J1c3
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     deadly77 (09-27-2018),  JonikW (09-27-2018),  MikeWhalen (09-27-2018)

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    392
    Sex
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I-L338
    mtDNA
    J1c1

    United Kingdom England England North of England Norfolk Scotland Ireland
    Good advice from Spruithean as usual.

    Yes, FTDNA will recommend you the I-M253 SNP pack. It automatically recommends it to anyone who is predicted I-M253 from their STR results. You don't have to buy it. Ultimately it's up to you (I didn't). The I-M253 SNP pack from FTDNA is fairly basic. Based on your STR results, there may be a more appropriate SNP pack that would get you a more refined placement. There are other options as well. Three things that you can do with your STR results for no extra cost:
    (i) as Spruithean recommends, join the I1 Y-DNA project at FTDNA. Admins will group you according to who you match closely. It's a large project, they do this manually and as Spruithean says, they are volunteers not employed by FTDNA. The placement may not happen instantaneously, so please be patient.
    (ii) run your STR results through the Nevgen predictor. This is a free online tool. It's generally a pretty decent predictor. It sometimes doesn't give a good prediction if it's an undiscovered subclade or
    (iii) have a look at your STR matches at FTDNA. Most of them will likely be predicted as I-M253. Some will have done SNP testing and that will show on your match list - say for example I-L22, I-P109, I-YSC0000261. This can often give you a clue to where you should be looking.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

     JonikW (09-27-2018),  MikeWhalen (09-27-2018),  spruithean (09-27-2018)

  10. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    766
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France
    Quote Originally Posted by deadly77 View Post
    Good advice from Spruithean as usual.

    Yes, FTDNA will recommend you the I-M253 SNP pack. It automatically recommends it to anyone who is predicted I-M253 from their STR results. You don't have to buy it. Ultimately it's up to you (I didn't). The I-M253 SNP pack from FTDNA is fairly basic. Based on your STR results, there may be a more appropriate SNP pack that would get you a more refined placement. There are other options as well. Three things that you can do with your STR results for no extra cost:
    (i) as Spruithean recommends, join the I1 Y-DNA project at FTDNA. Admins will group you according to who you match closely. It's a large project, they do this manually and as Spruithean says, they are volunteers not employed by FTDNA. The placement may not happen instantaneously, so please be patient.
    (ii) run your STR results through the Nevgen predictor. This is a free online tool. It's generally a pretty decent predictor. It sometimes doesn't give a good prediction if it's an undiscovered subclade or
    (iii) have a look at your STR matches at FTDNA. Most of them will likely be predicted as I-M253. Some will have done SNP testing and that will show on your match list - say for example I-L22, I-P109, I-YSC0000261. This can often give you a clue to where you should be looking.
    To add to Nevgen and its accuracy, it was able to estimate that I was atleast on the I-CTS6772 branch, which is just 4 SNPs (or so) above where my final results placed me.

    However there is a caution to the predictor in that if your haplotype is rather "generic" then it may not be able to make a prediction. Another predictor worth trying that uses an older naming system, called the World Haplogroup & Haplo-I Subclade Predictor.

    If it places you in anything like I-M253-ASgen, that means "Anglo-Saxon Generic" it doesn't necessarily mean "Anglo-Saxon". The AS groups (the majority at least) do not belong to the branch of I-M253 called "I-CTS6364". That branch leads to the L22 branch which usually has a fairly distinct haplotype.
    Last edited by spruithean; 09-27-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097(Scotland),
    Big Y: I-F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2, R-L21 x2, I-M223, R-S1141, R-U198 & R-U106, mtHg J1c3
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     JonikW (09-28-2018)

Similar Threads

  1. Questions from a newbie
    By Chris.james.anderson@live in forum Living DNA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2018, 07:17 PM
  2. Newbie need help
    By abdullahyusuf2010 in forum General
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-05-2017, 02:58 AM
  3. Newbie and have a question...
    By samhain23 in forum H
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2017, 07:27 PM
  4. Harder to find where find ancestry than I thought.
    By backdrop12 in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2017, 01:36 PM
  5. Newbie here: I-S1954
    By Les Sinclair in forum I1-M253
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-24-2016, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •