Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182

Thread: Post HarappaWorld results

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Does anyone here know any Bakhtiari or Lur people?

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    kyp. is correct. Iranian Azeris have a distinct subculture which has some overlap with neighbouring Turkic-speaking groups and Caucasus folks. Having said that, there's more overlap with other populations in Iran.

Like kyp., I would consider Iranian Azeris to be a Turko-Iranic population (which, on historical, linguistic and cultural grounds, all West Asian Turkic-speaking groups are, albeit with differing emphasis). The false dichotomy one observes between Turkish and Persian nationalists is artificial and is arguably rooted in a post-imperial, Western-inspired sense of ethnic nationalism.

The degree and strength of the identification with a distinctly Iranian Azeri subculture, or affiliation with the Turkophone and Persophone worlds, varies substantially. Even within families. There are regional and social patterns, but that's a discussion worthy of a separate thread.

Answering kyp.'s question:

They're from the region north of Urmia. Iranian Azeri going back up to 6 generations. No known tribal affiliations that I'm aware of. I'm slightly more Azeri than Persian, thanks to some cryptic Azeri ancestry on my mother's side.
    I've read that the borders between Iran/Turkey and Iran/Afghanistan date to the time of the Safavid empire and are more sectarian than ethnic in nature. The division being between Sunni and Shiite rather than Persian/non-Persian. That explains northwestern Iran being mainly Turkic and why Herat despite being culturally contiguous with Mashhad is part of Afghanistan. Kurds in Iran are also 50% Shia, much more than their counterparts in neighboring countries.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

poi (08-23-2019)

Sex

Germany Iran Azerbaijan Normandie
    Quote Originally Posted by DMXX View Post
    kyp. is correct. Iranian Azeris have a distinct subculture which has some overlap with neighbouring Turkic-speaking groups and Caucasus folks. Having said that, there's more overlap with other populations in Iran.

Like kyp., I would consider Iranian Azeris to be a Turko-Iranic population (which, on historical, linguistic and cultural grounds, all West Asian Turkic-speaking groups are, albeit with differing emphasis). The false dichotomy one observes between Turkish and Persian nationalists is artificial and is arguably rooted in a post-imperial, Western-inspired sense of ethnic nationalism.

The degree and strength of the identification with a distinctly Iranian Azeri subculture, or affiliation with the Turkophone and Persophone worlds, varies substantially. Even within families. There are regional and social patterns, but that's a discussion worthy of a separate thread.

Answering kyp.'s question:

They're from the region north of Urmia. Iranian Azeri going back up to 6 generations. No known tribal affiliations that I'm aware of. I'm slightly more Azeri than Persian, thanks to some cryptic Azeri ancestry on my mother's side.

[Edit]: The ironic inversion that concerns my uniparentals is relevant, here - My Azeri side has given me a pan-Iranian Y-DNA variant of R2a*, whereas my Persian side has given me one of the most Turkic mtDNA lines you could imagine (I have exact HVR1+2 matches with Yakuts f.ex.).
    I did the Morley's DNA predictor once, if you're interested : R1a it couldnt tell which sublclade though and I don't know how accurate it is. R1a in NW could be from multiple sources if i'm not mistaken

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kyp.snow For This Useful Post:

poi (08-23-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kyp.snow View Post
    I did the Morley's DNA predictor once, if you're interested : R1a it couldnt tell which sublclade though and I don't know how accurate it is. R1a in NW could be from multiple sources if i'm not mistaken
    The sources for Y-DNA R1a1a in Iranian Azeris would be near-identical to what one would postulate for Kurmanji Kurds (albeit with differing proportions source-wise, and the addition of Medieval Turks as a source for Azeris). There's also probably some unresolved substructure among both Iranian Azeris and Kurds. Both groups have similar frequencies of that subclade (17-21% IIRC).

The likely sources would be (in order of historical antiquity) proto-Mitanni, Median, Scythian & Cimmerian, Persian (Achaemenid), Parthian, Persian (Sassanid) and various Turkish waves.

If you've tested with FTDNA, I'd recommend contacting the team involved with the R1a Subclades Project to determine whether they can give you any advice regarding further testing.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

hussein khan (Yesterday),  kyp.snow (08-23-2019),  parasar (08-23-2019),  poi (08-23-2019),  tipirneni (08-23-2019)

Sex

Do anyone has desi samples getting below 23% SI on harrappaworld and above NE-Euro 21? I heard from some punjabi guy on the harrappaworld project he got like 21% SI and the lowest i seen is 23,84% for desis. So i just wanted to see if anyone had those kits/results(unmixed ones). Also, if you guys have pashtun kits, that be nice.

Sex

Also, ror's samples will be nice too(havent seen those before, but i guess theyre less steppe and more west asian slightly compared to jatts, since the samples were closer to rukha than jatts were in G25)

Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3272808182