Hungarian, German/British
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA
    H1e1a

How did N-M2783 get to Hungary?

Sorry if this is a very newbie question, but I was wondering why my very Hungarian paternal line has an un-Hungarian haplogroup? As far as I know, my father's family is all Hungarian for multiple generations. Please excuse my ignorance, but is it possible N-M2783 came to Hungary with Arpad and the conquerors? Or was there some historic migration out of the Baltic states to Hungary? Thanks for any thoughts! Btw, N-M2783 was assigned to me via 23andMe V5.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Any chance you are CTS8173?
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/N-CTS8173/
    It has a subbranch Y6075, estimated age 200 BCE, that is present in Slovaks, Czechs and Poles.
    Other brother subbranches being present in Baltics.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parastais For This Useful Post:

Michał (09-29-2018),  palamede (03-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L1280
    mtDNA
    H2a2(b)

Poland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Btw, N-M2783 was assigned to me via 23andMe V5.
    You need to determine your much more specific subclade under M2783 in order to get a better idea on how your patrilineage landed in Hungary.
    For example, in case you belong to N-Y6075, a subclade mentioned by parastais, then it is quite likely that your paternal ancestors came to Hungary (or generally to Central Europe) with the Early Slavs.

Quote Originally Posted by parastais View Post
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/N-CTS8173/
    It has a subbranch Y6075, estimated age 200 BCE, that is present in Slovaks, Czechs and Poles.
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post120630

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Michał For This Useful Post:

parastais (09-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA
    H1e1a

Thanks so much parastais. What would be the appropriate level test to get from FTDNA to determine my subbranch?
    Last edited by Mr.G; 09-29-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA
    H1e1a

Thanks Michal. Do you know the level of test at FTDNA that will provide the subclade? I've asked both you and parastais to make a recommendation. Don't wanna brake the bank, but also would like to explore this further and contribute to the knowledge about the distribution of this subclade.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

You either need to do a SNP pack or the equivalent N1a panel at YSEQ. FTDNA STR tests are a different type of test except they can give you a high level haplogroup to get you started.

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=18382

I'm not a hg N expert but typically the 23andMe goes lower down the tree than the basic haplogroup you get with an STR test. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing but we get queries virtually every day about this concept.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Mr.G (09-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L1280
    mtDNA
    H2a2(b)

Poland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Thanks Michal. Do you know the level of test at FTDNA that will provide the subclade? I've asked both you and parastais to make a recommendation. Don't wanna brake the bank, but also would like to explore this further and contribute to the knowledge about the distribution of this subclade.
    Well, it all really depends on how much you can spend on it. The best option is of course Big Y500 at FTDNA (or any similar Y-NGS test elsewhere). In case you cannot afford it, I would strongly suggest the N1a-VL29 panel at YSEQ for 88$:
    https://www.yseq.net/product_info.ph...a9e7810d0e4749

The advantage of Big Y500 is not only that you will get a much more detailed SNP report (with some previously unknown, or "private", SNPs included), but also the fact that you will get a full 111 Y-STR haplotype that should allow you to search for close and distant STR matches among those FTDNA customers who have not been tested for any relevant SNPs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Michał For This Useful Post:

Mr.G (09-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA
    H1e1a

I will do either the N1a-VL29 panel from YSEQ or the Big Y500, I just need to familiarize myself with this type of testing and all the terminology involved so I can understand my results. Whichever test I do, I will post the results here in the N forum. Thanks for all the guidance it has been very helpful!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    N-Y17696 YSEQ
    mtDNA
    H1e1a

Quote Originally Posted by Michał View Post
    You need to determine your much more specific subclade under M2783 in order to get a better idea on how your patrilineage landed in Hungary.
    For example, in case you belong to N-Y6075, a subclade mentioned by parastais, then it is quite likely that your paternal ancestors came to Hungary (or generally to Central Europe) with the Early Slavs.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post120630
    Hey Michal, I have followed your advice to purchase N1a-VL29 panel at YSEQ, and my order is currently processing. So far, and my final clade has not yet been reached, I am N-Y6077+. So as you suggested many months ago it does appear I will end up being part of the small group of Slavic speaking central Europeans with N1c, even though it appears I will be one of the few (or only) Hungarians. When my final clade is determined I will open a thread to discuss. Thanks for suggesting I investigate this I am finding it most interesting.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

palamede (03-30-2019)