Thread: Baltic DNA

Registered Users
    Sex

Russian Federation Star of David Belarus Lebanon Kazakhstan Ireland

Baltic DNA

Anybody have a screenshot of a partial or full baltic result? I'm very interested to see one, mainly because I received a huge amount of Baltic in the update despite having any DNA from that region as far I know. Thanks!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L513>Z18060
    mtDNA (M)
    U4b3

Australia Scotland England Latvia Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by czl View Post
    Anybody have a screenshot of a partial or full baltic result?
    My mother's mother was born in Valmiera, modern Latvia, in the late 19th Century, so Mum was 50% Baltic and 50% SE English.

This is Mum's latest Ancestry estimate:

DMW.JPG
    Genealogy on 16 great great grandparents:
    Scottish 37.5%
    English 25.0%
    Latvian 25.0%
    Cornish 12.5%

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to estevard For This Useful Post:

czl (10-06-2018),  PoxVoldius (10-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Wow, mainly all Baltic with a bit of easterneuro, that’s what I’m paying attention to. I saw a 1/4 Lithuanian result on here, and it was near 25% Baltic. So to me it appears that Balts don’t get much overlap with eastern euro but eastern euros get more of an overlap with balts? I’m wondering wether my results are consistently higher Baltic than Eastern Europe because I am part. My dad never found out who his father was and based on the time he very could’ve been Lithuanian, since there were lots of immigrants from that area. Is it possible that I’m part Lithuanian (or maybe even Latvian or Estonian)? I’m not sure though, and nothing really gives hints whether he was or not because East Slavic dna and Baltic dna is so messed up through genetic testing.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

I can't help with Baltic printout but your above statement might be somewhat accurate. I got 20%+ East Euro on Family Tree, but 92% Scandivanian (5% Finnish then NW/Germanic Euro on Ancestry). Paper trail is 100% Scandivania. Ancestry has many more Scandivanian references so that one was more accurate. But on GEDmatch tools without North Swede or Sami references I get a lot of Lithuanian, Estonian, Mordovian, upper Volga, Belarusian, Russia central and other Ural regions. There is a lot of overlap here. For my part, it is the mesolithic Swede (pre-farmer DNA of northern Sweden) and Swede Sami. If I add the kit # for the Sami reference that shows Lithuanian, Mordovian, Moksha, Tatar, Chuvash, Selkup...

Probably there was not a reference for your area of Russia and closest approximation was Baltic. If your paper trail is quite confidently what you say, this is a reasonable misread of DNA I'd say... Baltics matching for cetrain areas of Russia or at least approximating a portion of your DNA.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kurki For This Useful Post:

czl (10-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

My paper trial for my mothers side is 100% accurate my paper trial for my fathers side is partly done and the rest are theories definitely, that’s why I’m constantly updating my signature lmao. From my mother I am: 18.75% Russian, 12.5% Belarusian, 12.5% Jewish, and 6.25% Kazakh. The Russians are from West-Central, Rayzan Russia so its not west enough where the whole category is affected but it’s west enough that it could have some impact. I noticed on ancestry that Belarus is completely encompassed by the Baltic’s so that concerned me a bit in making judgements. I don’t know who my paternal grandfather is nevermind his paper trial, that’s a huge mess of its own. He could have a Baltic surname, he maybe could not, there’s just so many ways his surname was spelt and so many different theories about his ethnicity that I have created. I try to look towards genetic testing but it doesn’t help for much.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ruthenian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M198
    mtDNA (M)
    n/a

Russia Imperial
    Quote Originally Posted by czl View Post
    My paper trial for my mothers side is 100% accurate my paper trial for my fathers side is partly done and the rest are theories definitely, that’s why I’m constantly updating my signature lmao. From my mother I am: 18.75% Russian, 12.5% Belarusian, 12.5% Jewish, and 6.25% Kazakh. The Russians are from West-Central, Rayzan Russia so its not west enough where the whole category is affected but it’s west enough that it could have some impact. I noticed on ancestry that Belarus is completely encompassed by the Baltic’s so that concerned me a bit in making judgements. I don’t know who my paternal grandfather is nevermind his paper trial, that’s a huge mess of its own. He could have a Baltic surname, he maybe could not, there’s just so many ways his surname was spelt and so many different theories about his ethnicity that I have created. I try to look towards genetic testing but it doesn’t help for much.
    1/16 Kazakh? So your mother must be 1/8. Have you had her tested? I'd like to see the results of such a mixture - Russian/Belarusian, Jewish, Kazakh.

Registered Users
    Sex

Yes, I'm 1/16, Hahaha she's against the idea but Im slowly convincing her. My grandfather wants to do a test, he's 1/2 Jewish 1/4 Kazakh and 1/4 Russian
    Wow Belarusian Russian and Polish that's quite a mix, one i've never before that's super cool.
    Last edited by czl; 10-08-2018 at 04:56 PM.