Thread: R1b1a2a1a2b3b R1b-S47?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2b3b
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c2

R1b1a2a1a2b3b R1b-S47?

So trying to understand my paternal lineage. Am I right that R1b1a2 is from the Levant region and that they died off before the early Bronze age? My great grandfather on my father's side was Italian (Sicilian) so it would make sense, yes? And what does the S47 mean?

R1b1a2a1a2b3b

R1b-S47

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Krystyn For This Useful Post:

Webb (10-06-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>Z195>FGC23196
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyn View Post
    So trying to understand my paternal lineage. Am I right that R1b1a2 is from the Levant region and that they died off before the early Bronze age? My great grandfather on my father's side was Italian (Sicilian) so it would make sense, yes? And what does the S47 mean?

R1b1a2a1a2b3b

R1b-S47
    I did a google search of S47 and found a link to YFull which places S47 under Z56 which is itself under U152, which is fairly common in parts of Italy. U152 is under P312 with L21, DF27, and a number of other snps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

Krystyn (10-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2b3b
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c2

Awesome, thanks, it makes sense. Funny though how much my fathers side of the family looks middle eastern more than Italian.

Registered Users
    Sex

R1b1a2a1a2b3b

R1b-S47
    That is almost definitely from a 23andme v5 test. S47 is positive for everyone tested by the 23andme v5 test no matter which haplogroup so it is a false positive if U152 is negative. If you go to https://you.23andme.com/tools/data/?query=rs1236440 and look under Your Genotype and see C then you are negative for U152.

23andme v5 doesn't test for P312 and it does not test for many other SNPs and it even has some false negatives. If you download the program at http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/23andme-to-ysnps.html then run your raw dna file through it then save then select Save Displayed Table as a csv then upload the file to a file sharing site and message me the link I can give you a report with the tested SNPs, the positive SNPs, the false positive SNPs, and the negative SNPs including some not reported by the MorleyDNA.com Y-SNP Terminal Subclade Predictor, using Experimental tree ( 26 July 2013) which is what you used for the result of S47.
    Last edited by ArmandoR1b; 10-07-2018 at 12:13 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmandoR1b For This Useful Post:

Dimanto (11-07-2019),  pmokeefe (05-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2b3b
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c2

Quote Originally Posted by ArmandoR1b View Post
    That is almost definitely from a 23andme v5 test. S47 is positive for everyone tested by the 23andme v5 test no matter which haplogroup so it is a false positive if U152 is negative. If you go to and look under Your Genotype and see C then you are negative for U152.

23andme v5 doesn't test for P312 and it does not test for many other SNPs and it even has some false negatives. If you download the program a then run your raw dna file through it then save then select Save Displayed Table as a csv then upload the file to a file sharing site and message me the link I can give you a report with the tested SNPs, the positive SNPs, the false positive SNPs, and the negative SNPs including some not reported by the MorleyDNA.com Y-SNP Terminal Subclade Predictor, using Experimental tree ( 26 July 2013) which is what you used for the result of S47.
    My rs1236440 SNPs are AA, so I guess it is not a false positive? what does that mean? It looks like I am positive for U152, yes? And that means Northern Italy or the Alps?

Thanks for the programs reference, I'll get those to you ASAP! (I cannot send PMs until I have 10 posts so...)

Registered Users
    Sex

My rs1236440 SNPs are AA, so I guess it is not a false positive? what does that mean? It looks like I am positive for U152, yes? And that means Northern Italy or the Alps?

Thanks for the programs reference, I'll get those to you ASAP! (I cannot send PMs until I have 10 posts so...)
    You can only have C or T for rs1236440 at 23andme. Also the Y-DNA only has one letter not two. So AA is from a different SNP that is not U152 or you weren't tested by 23andme v5. Did you go to https://you.23andme.com/tools/data/?query=rs1236440 or did you use something else to look up rs1236440?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b1a2a1a2b3b
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c2

That SNP is reported in reverse orientation to the genome so it is T. In the raw file it is T, I was reading it from Promethease which interprets it correctly.

Anyway, so yeah, I am T for that SNP.

Registered Users
    Sex

That SNP is reported in reverse orientation to the genome so it is T. In the raw file it is T, I was reading it from Promethease which interprets it correctly.

Anyway, so yeah, I am T for that SNP.
    Ok, so positive for U152 but the only way for you to know if S47 really is positive is for you to get tested for S47 with another company. S47 is positive for every single male tested by the 23andme v5 chip.

What did 23andme tell you that your haplogroup is?