Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romani DNA?

Romani DNA?

Hey everyone! A quick backstory:
    I was adopted from Romania in 1991 by English parents. I donít know much about my biological family, only my birth surname. My DNA came out quite shocking and was wondering if anyone could help me interpret? I have 45% South Asia, does that mean I am most likely Romani? Or is that percentage too high? Thanks!

Southern Asia - 45%
    Turkey and Caucasus - 23%
    Greece and Balkans - 18%
    Iran / Persia - 10%
    Italy - 3%
    Baltic States - 1%

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shelzyy For This Useful Post:

czl (10-07-2018),  hartaisarlag (10-09-2018),  JosephK (10-09-2018),  kingjohn (10-09-2018),  Kylo_Ren (10-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian, German/British
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    N-Y6077 YSEQ
    mtDNA
    H1e1a

Quote Originally Posted by Shelzyy View Post
    I was adopted from Romania in 1991 by English parents. I donít know much about my biological family, only my birth surname. My DNA came out quite shocking and was wondering if anyone could help me interpret? I have 45% South Asia, does that mean I am most likely Romani? Or is that percentage too high? Thanks!

Southern Asia - 45%
    Greece and Balkans - 18%
    Iran / Persia - 10%
    Italy - 3%
    Baltic States - 1%
    Wow, what a story and what a result you got there. I am no expert but a typical result for a Romanian would mostly likely a combination of the Eastern Europe and Greece and the Balkans category's. Your result appears to be for an individual who's recent ancestors came from areas well to the south and east of Romania. I think it could represent Romani but I was under the impression that they had more European admixture than you show here. I would strongly recommend uploading your data to Gedmatch and see what the oracles in Eurogenes K13 and K15 indicate. Other members here may be able to direct you to the best calculators on Gedmatch for you DNA profile. Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

JosephK (10-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Slovakia Poland Romani United States of America
    I was adopted from Romania in 1991 by English parents. I don’t know much about my biological family, only my birth surname. My DNA came out quite shocking and was wondering if anyone could help me interpret? I have 45% South Asia, does that mean I am most likely Romani? Or is that percentage too high? Thanks!

Southern Asia - 45%
    Greece and Balkans - 18%
    Iran / Persia - 10%
    Italy - 3%
    Baltic States - 1%
    That is quite high South Asian! The Calculators at GEDMAtch show Romani samples (primarily from the Balkans) to be around 20-24% South Asian typically, and Romanians shown from 0-4%... you'd expect fairly high East/Northeast European as well...

There are a couple of ongoing threads on Anthrogenica that specifically help with looking for Romani ancestry...

Interesting results, run them through GEDMatch and let us know what you find--!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I know! I definitely expected a bit more Eastern European, these results are from my ancestry update. Previously my south asian was around 36% and there was a lot more European mixed in. I will head over to GEDmatch to see what I can find, can anyone give me any advice as to where I should go on the website? Is there a tool I need to use or do I just go to the forums? Thanks!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I know! I definitely expected a bit more Eastern European, these results are from my ancestry update. Previously my south asian was around 36% and there was a lot more European mixed in. I will head over to GEDmatch to see what I can find, can anyone give me any advice as to where I should go on the website? Is there a tool I need to use or do I just go to the forums? Thanks!
    Once you make your account at GEDmatch, you can upload your AncestryDNA raw data file. They'll process the file and assign you a kit #, and then you use that kit # to run your data through the different admixture calculators.
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

JosephK (10-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I1 - M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1a

Italy Albania France-Ile-de-France United Kingdom Northern Ireland Germany Bundeswappen
    With that combination of Southern Asian and Turkey and Caucasus along with Greece and Balkans, I'd say it's extremely likely you are of Romani descent. Also, I think Southern Asian is usually higher on AncestryDNA, MyHeritage etc. for Romani than it would be for calculators on Gedmatch where the average is 20-30%.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kylo_Ren For This Useful Post:

JosephK (10-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    My Hungarian Romani friend has a very similar profile to yours, albeit from My Heritage.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

E-V13 => E-PH1246 => E-BY14160
    Antonio Reale born circa 1710, Ciminŗ Italy

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

JosephK (10-09-2018),  kingjohn (10-09-2018)

Hey guys, so just a little bit of an update. I ran my DNA through GED match ( I did k13 & k15 ) and these are the results. I don't know much about genealogy so this is mostly foreign to me, so I am trying to research what it all means haha, if anyone can provide any guidance as to what this means it would be greatly appreciated. See below:

P.S. I tried a few different methods to insert the actual images into the forum but I kept getting a "not allowed to post links" error message. My results were as follows:

K13
    North Atlantic: 7.83%
    Baltic: 11.62%
    West_Med: 9.83%
    West_Asian: 18.45%
    East_Med: 20.64%
    Red_Sea: 4.21%
    South_Asian: 22.25%
    East_Asian: 3.61%
    Siberian: 0.08%
    Oceanian: 1.29%
    Northeast_African: 0.19%

K15
    North_Sea: 5.15%
    Atlantic: 6.33%
    Baltic: 8.41%
    Eastern_Euro: 5.47%
    West_Med: 7.42%
    West_Asian: 15.62%
    East_Med: 19.65%
    Red_Sea: 4.22%
    South_Asian: 23.22%
    Southeast_Asian: 3.23%
    Oceanian: 1.16%
    Northeast_African: 0.12%

Again, I am not entirely sure what these results mean and any help would be greatly appreciated!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelzyy For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (10-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Nationality
    Norwegian
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC5512
    mtDNA
    U5b1b1(T16192C)

Norway Russia Tatarstan Arms Germany Imperial Romani Faroe Islands England
    You can look here for a general introduction into Romani DNA and ancestry.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evon For This Useful Post:

JosephK (10-09-2018),  kingjohn (10-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian, German/British
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    N-Y6077 YSEQ
    mtDNA
    H1e1a

Next, take a look at the Oracles for K13, K15. The list of results you get will be single populations in the order of how closely you match them. Underneath that, lower down on your results page, the algorithm assumes you descend from two populations and it lists some possibilities. For example, I am half Hungarian and half German. On K15 - when I look at the 50% split of my DNA - I get West German/Hungarian at a distance of about 3. So, that's a reasonably accurate prediction for me however it really helped that I knew my background going into it. You don't have that luxury. Others have commented that Romani score about 20%-25% on these calculators and I see that you are right in the sweet spot!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

JosephK (10-09-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast