Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    HM82 Z5888+CTS8144+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a

United States of America India

Genetically isolated populations & Endogamy

In genetics, when a small number of ancestors give rise to many descendants, it known as a founder event or, alternatively, a population bottleneck. A study of anthropologically different subpopulations in South Asia has revealed that many of them are a result of strong founder events. In each of these groups, large stretches of the DNA seem to have originated from a common ancestor in the last 100 generations or so. Many studies are trying to find out but the sampling errors & population errors look obvious in the study by Thangaraj

https://thewire.in/science/caste-fou...gamy-recessive

The study, led by scientists at the Hyderabad-based Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCM, appeared in the journal Nature Genetics on July 18. Scientists analysed samples from over 2,800 individuals from over 275 distinct South Asian populations belonging to various social and linguistic groups, across India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. They developed an algorithm to quantify the impact of founder events in each group based on stretches in DNA received from a common ‘founder’.

“We found that 81 out of 263 unique South Asian groups, including 14 groups with estimated census sizes of over a million, have had a strong founder event,” said Kumarasamy Thangaraj, who led the study along with David Reich of Harvard Medical School. These large population groups with founder events include the Gujjar (from Jammu & Kashmir), Baniya (Uttar Pradesh), Pattapu kapu (Andhra Pradesh), Vadde (Andhra Pradesh), Yadav (Puducherry), Kashtriya Aqnikula (Andhra Pradesh), Naga (Nagaland), Kumhar (Uttar Pradesh), Reddy (Telangana), Kallar (Tamil Nadu), Brahmin Manipuri (Manipur), Arunthathiyar (Tamil Nadu) and Vysya (Telangana) communities.

There are many other suspected examples of disease associations that have yet to be systematically studied in South Asia. Some medical caregivers speculate that people with the surname Reddy may be more likely to develop a form of arthritis affecting the spine, Dr. Thangaraj said. Others think people from the Telugu Raju community, in southern India, may have higher incidence of cardiomyopathy, which affects the heart muscle. The Telugu Vysya have about a 100-fold-higher rate of a metabolic disorder called butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) deficiency compared to other groups.

Y: H-M69 -> H-M82 -> SK1225 -> H-Z5888 -> H-Z5890 -> H-CTS8144 [CTS8144/PF1741/M5498]
    mtDNA: U2a1a
    extras (309.1C) (315.1C) 11368C 16093A

G25 Ancients Dist 0.99 Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3:S8728.E1.L1 65.2 Saidu_Sharif_IA_o:S7722.E1.L1 17.8 Udegram_IA:I1985 7.8 Jordanian:S_Jordanian-1 4.4 Barikot_IA:I6545 2.2 Scotland_N:I26602 Narva_Lithuania: Donkalnis6

mtDNA mutation 309.1C 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C G8572A G8860A T11368C T16093a T16154C C16519T
    C195T

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tipirneni For This Useful Post:

bmoney (10-15-2018),  kush (12-07-2018),  misanthropy (10-11-2018),  poi (10-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    India Andhra Kamma Telugu
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    HM82 Z5888+CTS8144+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a

Many profit oriented people rushing in to generate initial momentum & pave way for big population studies. Does sample sizes of 5 or 10 indicate population parameters for 1 to 20 M ? People have to ask questions before taken away.

https://www.broadinstitute.org/news/...scientists-say

Bronze Class Member
    Sex

Turkmenistan Suriname South Africa Costa Rica Norway Australia
    Interesting. I always felt we got shafted genetically.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

kush (12-07-2018),  misanthropy (10-11-2018),  tipirneni (10-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    My 2 sides of grandparents came from about 1000km apart (no one was from the same town either). They usually wouldn't even marry in adjacent villages and towns back in the day. Today we still look across 3-5 generations. Genetic diseases in my extended family are close to none.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

bmoney (10-15-2018),  C J Wyatt III (10-17-2018),  tipirneni (10-08-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    I was certainly aware that certain geographically isolated communities like Polynesians tended towards endogamy but seeing how strong socially isolated cases are is fascinating.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

bmoney (10-15-2018),  tipirneni (10-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    HM82 Z5888+CTS8144+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I was certainly aware that certain geographically isolated communities like Polynesians tended towards endogamy but seeing how strong socially isolated cases are is fascinating.
    This bottleneck affect is very high in extinct Austro populations in India like Jarawa. However many isolated endogamous regions share some of these genetic situations.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nepali Brahmin
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L657>Y6
    mtDNA
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    My 2 sides of grandparents came from about 1000km apart (no one was from the same town either). They usually wouldn't even marry in adjacent villages and towns back in the day. Today we still look across 3-5 generations. Genetic diseases in my extended family are close to none.
    In your profile, you have multiple regions, so ethnicities(I assume). If so, is that the norm for Khatris in general?

Btw, those restrictions alone don't mean much. My mom and dad are 4.7 generations apart, but back 500 years ago, probably had same ancestors. So, it does not matter how many generations they look back for marriage, same genes.
    Hidden Content
    Global25 Web Runner - Scaled - Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    Global25 Web Runner - Unscaled - Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content
    To include your G25 coordinates and/or sponsorship support - email: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    LukaszM's Eurogenes K36 PCA: Hidden Content | Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to poi For This Useful Post:

bmoney (10-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    HM82 Z5888+CTS8144+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a

Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post
    In your profile, you have multiple regions, so ethnicities(I assume). If so, is that the norm for Khatris in general?

Btw, those restrictions alone don't mean much. My mom and dad are 4.7 generations apart, but back 500 years ago, probably had same ancestors. So, it does not matter how many generations they look back for marriage, same genes.
    If you evolve from small set of population like say 10 to 100 people for 50 to 100 generations you run into these bottlenecks.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA
    J2b2
    mtDNA
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by poi View Post

Mom's parents are from Rawalpindi and Poonch.

Dad's parents are from Dera Gazi Khan and Dera Ismail Khan.

Previously for hundreds of years both sides have had zero contact. One side in Multan other in NW Punjab and Kashmir. Founding populations for Khatris and Aroras seems to be big enough that I don't hear these issues. We check the gotras, names of generations. Pandits have official records in Haridwar that they will check if we are the same (meaning that I marry a Khatri for example and not a Sindhi or Jatt). Ethnicities I am not sure of, my fathers mother was technically a Brahma Khatri, father was Arora. Mom's parents were both Khatris. Although I suspect mother's mother was mixed into a Kalash like population (at least that side of the family look very similar to Kalash and they didn't used to marry into Kashmiri pandits).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

poi (10-15-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    This is very interesting because Khatris who moved after partition are known to marry among cousins. Infact Sikh Khatris are the only Sikhs I've seen who marry in their cousins. I know 3 family friends who did that. Had few coworkers and classmates who did that. It includes both Hindu and Sikh Khatris, and confirmed roots from west Punjab.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

prashantvaidwan (10-09-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast