Thread: Neolithic farmer Haplogroups in Britain

Neolithic farmer Haplogroups in Britain

Judging from family and friends British maternal lines seem to largely originate with the Neolithic farmers for instance my maternal Haplogroup is J1c2b5 and my farthers is k1a4a1e and now my daughters Haplogroup is H5a1 all of our maternal lineages originate from South Wales as far back as I can trace and all seem to be strong identifiers of being of Neolithic farmer stock the only outlier so I though was my grandads maternal Haplogroup which was U5b1b1 which I had assumed was of older European western hunter gatherer origin but now I have recently read that this Haplogroup probably originated in Iberia 7000 years bp and spread to Britain with the Neolithic farmers. Is this a common finding among ethnic Brits does anyone know? I had a friend tested who’s ancestry including direct maternal line originates in east anglia and his maternal Haplogroup I’d W5a1a1 which would hint at an indo-European origin rather than a Neolithic one I wonder if there is an east west split in Britain?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomoboy092 For This Useful Post:

palamede (10-15-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA
    J1c2b

England Germany Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia United States Tree Flag
    I am J1c2b and my maternal line comes from County Waterford in Ireland. There wasn't much farmer impact in Ireland and mine probably comes from the invading Celts who picked it up while they were migrating through the Continent. I don't think it was associated with the I2 original inhabitants of Ireland, since they were hunter-gatherers.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by Tomoboy092 View Post
    Judging from family and friends British maternal lines seem to largely originate with the Neolithic farmers for instance my maternal Haplogroup is J1c2b5 and my farthers is k1a4a1e and now my daughters Haplogroup is H5a1 all of our maternal lineages originate from South Wales as far back as I can trace and all seem to be strong identifiers of being of Neolithic farmer stock
    Yeah, those are generally mtDNA from early farmers, but quickly spread throughout Europe. Could have come to the British Isles during the Bronze Age or possibly before (although there was a major population turnover in the Bronze Age) or been part of a subsequent migration.

the only outlier so I though was my grandads maternal Haplogroup which was U5b1b1 which I had assumed was of older European western hunter gatherer origin but now I have recently read that this Haplogroup probably originated in Iberia 7000 years bp and spread to Britain with the Neolithic farmers.
    U5 is old, hunter gatherer pre last glacial maximum, what is probably being referred to is that existing haplogroups (populations) retreated to the south (Iberian refuge) as the temperature chilled and ice expanded and then moved out and repopulated Europe. Not that it's actually Iberian or dates only to that time.

U5b1b1a is really common among Samis, which is interesting, but U5b1b1 is pretty widespread across Europe.

It would be interesting to see if there are mtDNA splits in Britain, but my guess is that most are pretty mixed up because mtDNA mutates so rarely. I wish they'd do more detailed sampling.

Re the East Anglia result, my dad's mtDNA goes back to Suffolk in the 1500s and is K2b1a1a, which (or its immediate precursor) is found in the Funnelbeaker culture in what is now Southern Sweden around 3000 BCE and also in Central European Bell Beaker around 2500 BCE, so it could have come to the British Isles in the Bronze Age, but also could have come in later migrations. Other than people who can trace back to the same woman in Suffolk or her daughters, my dad also has close matches in Scandinavia and one who seems to come from northern Germany, which is intriguing. And one in Scotland too.