Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Do these persons share with me through one parent?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    731
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

    Do these persons share with me through one parent?

    I have a match on chromosome 12 with one individual, at the location of 69,000,000- 89,000,000. I have a match with another person on chromosome 12 at the location of 74,000,000 to 79,000,000. Both are males. When I use triangulation tool on 23andMe, find that these two individuals share genomes with each other, not on chromosome 12 (sharing the same location with me; a common match for all), but on chromosome 3 at the location of 66,000,000 - 70,000,000 (5.2cM). It appears to me that we all share a common ancestor, and that these two persons would match me through the same parent (my mother), but I would like some assurances. Any thoughts on this from the forum community?

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,285
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

    Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    It's not certain. After weeding through multiple kits of relatives of mine, it has become clear that some matches in common are through a common ancestor, and some aren't. If one of their parents' backgrounds is very different to the other's, though, you might have a good clue.
     

    Other ancestral Y lines:

    E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

    Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

    H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

  3. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    731
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    It's not certain. After weeding through multiple kits of relatives of mine, it has become clear that some matches in common are through a common ancestor, and some aren't. If one of their parents' backgrounds is very different to the other's, though, you might have a good clue.
    Thanks AJL. That makes a good deal of sense. How about this scenario: on a specified location (segment), on a particular chromosome, I share ancestry with two persons of apparently different ethnic ancestry (say Italian and Polish), yet I believe I share with both through the same parent (who, by the way, appears to have ancestry from these two nationalities). By segment, I mean perhaps 34,000,000 to 46,000,000. Is this possible on a segment this size to have matches from the same parent from two divergent nationalities?

  4. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,285
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

    Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Because of recombination one match could come from a mix of someone's parents, but then there should not be overlap between the Polish person and the Italian one unless they also share ancestry. Does that make sense?
     

    Other ancestral Y lines:

    E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

    Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

    H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

  5. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    731
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Because of recombination one match could come from a mix of someone's parents, but then there should not be overlap between the Polish person and the Italian one unless they also share ancestry. Does that make sense?
    Yes. So, it is unlikely a person can match two unrelated persons through the same parent on a segment that is only about 10cM in length? If so, then one match must come from one parent and the other match from another?

  6. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,285
    Sex
    Location
    Canada
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

    Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Yes, essentially if you (1), a second person (2), and a third person (3) overlap, you must also see if 2 and 3 overlap at the same spot. If they all do then you share a common ancestor, but it is quite frequent that you will match 2 and 3 on the same spot without their matching each other.

    As a complication, they may also match each other on another spot and it may not be connected. Let's say 1 is half Chinese, half Swedish; 2 is half Chinese, half Brazilian; and 3 is half Swedish, half Brazilian. I guess you can see how you could match two people who also match each other without being related to the others through a common path?
     

    Other ancestral Y lines:

    E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

    Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

    H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

  7. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    731
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y20359
    mtDNA (M)
    H1c9a

    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    Yes, essentially if you (1), a second person (2), and a third person (3) overlap, you must also see if 2 and 3 overlap at the same spot. If they all do then you share a common ancestor, but it is quite frequent that you will match 2 and 3 on the same spot without their matching each other.

    As a complication, they may also match each other on another spot and it may not be connected. Let's say 1 is half Chinese, half Swedish; 2 is half Chinese, half Brazilian; and 3 is half Swedish, half Brazilian. I guess you can see how you could match two people who also match each other without being related to the others through a common path?
    Thanks AJL. Probably like most,I have both scenarios. I was curious about the latter scenario, whereby I share with two persons, who also share with each other, but not at the location where I share with them. It does make sense that, if you match on different segments, it could be just coincidental, in the sense that not all three of you share the same common ancestor.
    Last edited by leonardo; 11-11-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Famous E-M2 persons
    By Farroukh in forum E1b-V38
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-03-2020, 08:01 AM
  2. Famous E-M35 persons
    By Farroukh in forum E1b-M215
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-25-2020, 01:03 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2017, 01:43 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 04:07 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2016, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •