Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arab with some Jewish GEDmatch results. Opinions?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA
    J1-YSC234 (Z18271+)
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by andyouare View Post
    I have to say, I'm at loss right now because outside the Bedouin community tribes are not a thing here so I do not know what you're referring to. Do you live/have you ever lived in Israel?

The standard 23andme test kit includes a Y-DNA test, correct? I've been considering doing that.

As for the specific towns, I could PM you them if you'd like?
    So you do not have any tribal affiliation? There actually is such a thing as tribal affiliation among the Arab inhabitants of the Galilee, for instance the Qays-Yamani dichotomy is pervasive in this region. And no, I am not talking about the Bedouins here. I have been to Israel (including the Galilee), haven't lived there though.

Yes, 23andMe does include Y-DNA and mtDNA testing, though if you're interested Yseq and FTDNA would probably better options at this stage.

Sure thing

Quote Originally Posted by hartaisarlag View Post
    Yeah, there’s (practically) continuity all the way through the Ottoman period as well. I think the (Upper?) Galilee might’ve been the only part of the region with a rural Jewish population in the 2nd millennium CE. And considering the neverending, albeit small, stream of Diaspora pilgrims, wouldn’t surprise me if some Galilean Arabs had minor Sephardi or Ashkenazi ancestry.
    That's not impossible, but considering how religious the different waves of olim were, it does strike me as somewhat unlikely.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 10-20-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

Awale (11-03-2018),  Erikl86 (11-04-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    So you do not have any tribal affiliation? There actually is such a thing as tribal affiliation among the Arab inhabitants of the Galilee, for instance the Qays-Yamani dichotomy is pervasive in this region. And no, I am not talking about the Bedouins here. I have been to Israel (including the Galilee), haven't lived there though.

Yes, 23andMe does include Y-DNA and mtDNA testing, though if you're interested Yseq and FTDNA would probably better options at this stage.

Sure thing

That's not impossible, but considering how religious the different waves of olim were, it does strike me as somewhat unlikely.
    I can't PM you because I don't have enough posts. I wonder if it'll let me respond if you PM me first?

Registered Users
    Sex

Someone posted another detailed response here before the forum was reset to a previous version, would you mind revealing yourself?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyouare For This Useful Post:

Erikl86 (11-04-2018),  jonahst (11-11-2018)

I think it's just common origins of the two groups. For example, I submitted my raw data to a Spanish site with specific regional populations, and I got -

18,95% Israeli Jews; 18,20% Extremadura; 15,35% Lebanese Christian;12,20% Cyprus; 11,85 Dodecanese Greek Islands; 5,25% Nasiriyah Mandeans; 5,05% Sicily Messina; 4,15% Romania Nord Vest; 2,20% Lebanon; 2,20% Syria Druze; 1,30% Campania; 0,70% Israel Druze; 0,70% Chechnya; 0,50% Palestine; 0,45% Finland Karelia; 0,45% Emilia Romagna; 0,30% Sicily Catania; 0,20% Apulia.

But I don't have any Lebanese ancestry...it's just kind of indistinguishable in part

7. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousDNAguy12 For This Useful Post:

andyouare (11-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post

Sure thing

Your inbox is full

Registered Users
    Sex

I uploaded my raw dna data to promethease and from the looks of it I appear to belong to haplogroup J2. Does this reveal anything?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12