Thread: Plugged both 23andMe/AncestryDNA results into EthnoGene, question about results

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

Plugged both 23andMe/AncestryDNA results into EthnoGene, question about results

I took DNA tests at both 23andMe and AncestryDNA. I wanted more info, so I submitted one into EthnoGene. I'm of partial Finnish descent, and received a 9.2% Sami ancestry percentage on EthnoGene (which was intriguing) in addition to my normal Finnish percentage. Has anyone else (of Scandinavian descent) received similar results? Is Sami admixture somewhat common?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic + Italo-Celt
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthe View Post
    I took DNA tests at both 23andMe and AncestryDNA. I wanted more info, so I submitted one into EthnoGene. I'm of partial Finnish descent, and received a 9.2% Sami ancestry percentage on EthnoGene (which was intriguing) in addition to my normal Finnish percentage. Has anyone else (of Scandinavian descent) received similar results? Is Sami admixture somewhat common?
    Hi! First of all - There is a thread about EthnoGene - Where members discuss results and so on.

Second. Do you mind telling your known ancestry? And from what part of Finland you got ancestors from.

Do you score high Siberian on Eurogenes K13 for example?

Part of North Scandinavians have Saami-ancestry without knowing it. I was not sure before I took a DNA test and specially when I tested my father.
    Hidden Content

Eurogenes K13 Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
    1. 63.1% Swedish + 36.9% Spanish_Andalucia @ 2.93

Dodecad K12b
    7. 66.4% Norwegian + 33.6% TSI30 (Metspalu) @ 3.24
    9. 60.6% Norwegian + 39.4% N_Italian @ 3.32

[1] "distance%=4.0727"
    Nino_scaled

FARMERS-Balkans_Neolithic,42
    STEPPE-Eneolithic,35.8
    HUNTERS-WHG,16.6
    HUNTERS-West_Siberia_Neolithic,5
    EAST-ASIATIC_Neolithic,0.4

IBEROMAURUSIAN,0.2

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

johnthe (02-18-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

My grandfather was born in the Grand Duchy of Finland in the mid 1890s in the former Hame Province (you could say I'm on the older end of the scale). My grandmother on that side is mainly German with a few other ethnicities mixed in. My other two grandparents are colonial American of a few different ethnicities. Paper-trail wise, I'm around 25% Finnish, 25% German, 20% Irish, and the rest mixed English, Czech, and a few other small percentages. The family of my grandfather did have an extensive history in Finland but the records I have found are sparse. They do indicate some of his family is from the north of Finland though. On Eurogenes K13 I believe I had somewhere near 3 percent Siberian but I have not found Gedmatch to be accurate with showing correct results for my other ethnicities. I scored 1 percent Oceanian on the Eurogenes k13, and I don't find that possible for my paper trail. Gedmatch also does not pick up on my Finnish and instead it is listed as Russian for most of the main calculators but I have no known ancestry in Russia.

I see you are also Swedish. How do your results look?
    Last edited by johnthe; 02-18-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Germanic + Italo-Celt
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthe View Post
    My grandfather was born in the Grand Duchy of Finland in the mid 1890s in the former Hame Province (you could say I'm on the older end of the scale). My grandmother on that side is mainly German with a few other ethnicities mixed in. My other two grandparents are colonial American of a few different ethnicities. Paper-trail wise, I'm around 25% Finnish, 25% German, 20% Irish, and the rest mixed English, Czech, and a few other small percentages. The family of my grandfather did have an extensive history in Finland but the records I have found are sparse. They do indicate some of his family is from the north of Finland though. On Eurogenes K13 I believe I had somewhere near 3 percent Siberian but I have not found Gedmatch to be accurate with showing correct results for my other ethnicities. I scored 1 percent Oceanian on the Eurogenes k13, and I don't find that possible for my paper trail. Gedmatch also does not pick up on my Finnish and instead it is listed as Russian for most of the main calculators but I have no known ancestry in Russia.

I see you are also Swedish. How do your results look?
    Thank you for your answer. I also score around 3-4 Siberian on gedmatch.
    Oceania is often noise or can be due to central Asian or north Asian admixture (Found low in Saami and other Siberian people).
    Eurogenes k13 + K15 V2 are both good. Have you tried MDLP Project's calculator?

You should not trust them 100%.

A full Finn have around 8% Siberian admixture so you having around 3% make sense. A Saami have 15-30% Siberian from what I saw on my fathers relatives found on gedmatch.
    Hidden Content

Eurogenes K13 Mixed Mode Population Sharing:
    1. 63.1% Swedish + 36.9% Spanish_Andalucia @ 2.93

Dodecad K12b
    7. 66.4% Norwegian + 33.6% TSI30 (Metspalu) @ 3.24
    9. 60.6% Norwegian + 39.4% N_Italian @ 3.32

[1] "distance%=4.0727"
    Nino_scaled

FARMERS-Balkans_Neolithic,42
    STEPPE-Eneolithic,35.8
    HUNTERS-WHG,16.6
    HUNTERS-West_Siberia_Neolithic,5
    EAST-ASIATIC_Neolithic,0.4

IBEROMAURUSIAN,0.2

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

I have tried the MDLP ones but they are nowhere near accurate in comparison to my known paper trail ancestry. The gedmatch calculators tend to have varying results, most of which are disappointing and do not remotely match my ancestry. I have found much more reward in traditional paper trail genealogy. It's been a hobby most of my life and after taking a few DNA tests the novelty of DNA tests has worn off. The only truly insightful DNA tests which I look forward to are more in depth like the YDNA and mtDNA tests. I would also like to get my genome sequenced when the price drops a little. atDNA testing has such a severe number of limitations, I think it's pointless to expect much from it aside from a small nudge in the correct direction. I also find it more intriguing to piece together my family tree genealogically since that is way more accurate aside from the rare events where an NPE has happened.
    Last edited by johnthe; 02-19-2019 at 04:16 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to johnthe For This Useful Post:

sktibo (02-24-2019)