Thread: Basic maternal DNA question

Registered Users

Basic maternal DNA question

Hi, I'm haplogroup H1e.
    Since I received an x chromasome from my mother and father, then is this H1e haplogroup from my mother or father???
    My father is not live to test.
    Thanks!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish-Colonial American
    Y-DNA
    n1c1 Gf U106 F
    mtDNA
    H1b1 Finnish

Mtdna is always handed down via mothers. A man will inherit his mothers mtdna but he can't pass it on

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L21/FGC3222
    mtDNA
    H24 per23&me

Germany Netherlands Friesland England Ireland Switzerland Wales
    To bring my post count up
    MtDNA is 'mitochondrial DNA', found in the mitochondrion.
    mi·to·chon·dri·on
    /ˌmīdəˈkändrēən/Submit
    nounBIOLOGY
    plural noun: mitochondria
    an organelle found in large numbers in most cells, in which the biochemical processes of respiration and energy production occur. It has a double membrane, the inner layer being folded inward to form layers (cristae).
    (I can't post links yet, so the above was taken from; Google Search: mitochondria + definition.)
    The female germ cell (the egg) has mitochondria organelles, the mitochondria in the male germ cell (the sperm) is not replicated after fertilization.
    Therefor, all the mitochondria is passed down from the mother.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Razr795 For This Useful Post:

Kart (11-28-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralpert View Post
    Hi, I'm haplogroup H1e.
    Since I received an x chromasome from my mother and father, then is this H1e haplogroup from my mother or father???
    My father is not live to test.
    Thanks!
    The X chromosome and the mitochondrial DNA are two separate things. MTDNA Haplogroups don't apply to the X chromosome.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA
    J1c2b

England Germany Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia United States Tree Flag
    Exactly. My X chromosome is British and Irish (per 23andMe) with a small snip of Native American (from my mother's maternal grandfather) but my mitochondria is all Irish, having come from the island to New England in the 1890s with my great-great-grandmother. Maternal line, of course, my maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Mtdna is always handed down via mothers.
    No, is not. Stop spreading this myth.

It is known since years, that mt can be transmitted via fathers,
    and just couple of weeks ago was finally proved once more.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....870#post520870

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyP37 View Post
    Maternal line, of course, my maternal grandmother's maternal grandmother.
    There is no such line - neither formaly, neither practlically, neither in genetics (see above).
    Last edited by Rethel; 11-28-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21 L513*

United States of America Ireland Germany Belgium Wallonia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethel View Post
    No, is not. Stop spreading this myth.

It is known since years, that mt can be transmitted via fathers,
    and just couple of weeks ago was finally proved once more.

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....870#post520870

There is no such line - neither formaly, neither practlically, neither in genetics (see above).
    Yes, it is still true that mtDNA is handed down by mothers. The exceptions do not invalidate the general rule.

This is off-topic from the original post, but genetics is full of examples of general rules that have exceptions. Examples:

"The X and Y chromosome do not recombine" is true except the Y actually has recombinant regions,

"Men and women pass one (male) or two (female) X chromosomes to their offspring" is true except that there are people with XXY syndrome,

"Human blood has a clotting factor that prevents bleeding to death" is true except that hemophiliacs do exist,

"Human beings are born male or female" is true except when it's not,

and "mtDNA is passed down by mothers" is true except it's just been confirmed that there are rare cases of paternal mtDNA transmission that seem to be linked to mitochondrial disease (a genetic abnormality).

Even with known exceptions, general rules are still usefully applied.

By the way the recent study that found a few more cases of paternal mtDNA transmission also noted that there was no detectable mark on the human genetic record from it, so there is no reason to panic.
    Last edited by Dave-V; 11-28-2018 at 11:17 PM.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave-V For This Useful Post:

deadly77 (11-29-2018),  Judith (12-16-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-16-2018),  palamede (12-08-2018),  Razr795 (01-01-2019),  Saetro (12-06-2018),  spruithean (11-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-V View Post
    Yes, it is still true that mtDNA is handed down by mothers. The exceptions do not invalidate the general rule.

This is off-topic from the original post, but genetics is full of examples of general rules that have exceptions. Examples:

All this examples are meaningless, as they do not imply such consequences, as mt.
    Any other genetic feature is not used as a tool for proving some genealogical ficional
    pseudolines, by using some ficional inheritable pattern. You can have transmitted your
    gene for eye's colour as you wish, with hundert exeptions - and it will not matter, becasue
    no people try to proof, that exist some fictional genealogical line combind with that gene,
    which is inherited by such and such way, which at the end results with 100 exeptions.

There is no colour of eyes' genealogical lines, the same as there is no matrylines.
    In addition, pseudomatrylines postulated lastly by genetic corporations and naive
    people who waiste their many for it, turned out to be not so strict as it was said.

So, it is a big difference, between this case, and this cases which you did enumerate.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethel View Post
    there is no matrylines.
    Yes there are such things as matrilines.
    They exist as collections of documents or oral accounts showing the mother of the mother of the mother of the mother of .. someone present at some instant in time - generally now.
    In some cultures, they are all that is real and solid for ancestry.
    While fathers have a statistical rate of being different from documentation, the identity of mothers is seldom in question.
    There are occasional undocumented adoptions, but they rare in history.

Patrilines are the ones that are unreliable.
    A recent post mentioned an academic study documenting a rate of 1% in one part of current western Europe.
    And that is just about paternity
    Men also changed their names for all sorts of reasons - to inherit land, a business, a title, to hide their age so as to sign up for the military, to hide their identity after deserting the military or a merchant ship, or their wives, or to hide a criminal past and begin a new one; to take a presence on the stage or as a writer.
    Patrilines are usually the ones people come asking for help with.

I know genetic inheritance along these lines is meant, but some readers may take those words at face value.
    That is what I am addressing.
    The genetics is also being discussed in other threads.

But for the OP, a recent paper details some irregularities in which a father's mtDNA was passed down to a child - in several cases.
    The figure for such transmissions has been quoted at 1/5,000.
    The children also had genetic diseases.
    Rethel contends that such examples bring the entire business of mtDNA being passed exclusively down the female line into question.
    And discards the fact that the genetic diseases would make subsequent inheritance in that line rare.
    Others basically say that the exception proves the rule.
    Dave-V was attempting to put this into context by listing other exceptions to genetic rules.
    Last edited by Saetro; 12-06-2018 at 05:10 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-07-2018),  Judith (12-16-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-11-2018),  palamede (12-08-2018),  Ruderico (12-11-2018)

ADMIN

Several OT posts deleted per section 3.20-

3.20 Political and religious discussion is only permitted in The Atrium, a forum section voluntarily selected for by subscription class members with at least 500 posts. Such discussions are strictly prohibited everywhere else in Anthrogenica. Members are advised to limit the scope of organic tangents arising from discussions. Failure by participants to limit said tangents will be construed by the administration as a breach to section 3.10 and/or 3.12 above.
    Please avoid posting religious content outside of The Atrium.

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Forum Reminders - Please remember to:
    Report any problematic content • Adhere to Anthrogenica Hidden Content • Discuss respectfully • Be mindful of sharing user data (both yours and others) • English language only in main forum area • PM 'Moderator' or 'Administrator' accounts for basic maintenance tasks (not personal accounts) • PM this account regarding member ban info or forum inquiries

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-11-2018),  Judith (12-16-2018),  Ruderico (12-11-2018)