Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-A13243
    mtDNA
    H1e2

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein

Extremely Rare Judaean and Related Roman Coins Featured

For the possible interest of some:

Extremely Rare Judaean and Related Roman Coins Featured in Goldberg’s New York Sale

https://coinweek.com/wp-content/uplo...-5-shekels.jpg

This superb Year 5 shekel would be the prize of any ancient Judaean collection. The Shoshana specimen sold for nearly $90,000 USD in 2012.

https://coinweek.com/wp-content/uplo...old-aureus.jpg

Very rare Judaea Capta type gold aureus features a Roman trophy with the inscription DE IVDAEIS, minted at Lugdunum (modern Lyon, France).

The article:
    https://coinweek.com/dealers-compani...new-york-sale/
    Known Paper Trail: 45.3% English, 29.7% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German & 6.25% Italian. Or: 87.5% British Isles, 6.25% German & 6.25% Italian.
    LivingDNA: 88.1% British Isles (59.7% English, 27% Scottish & 1.3% Irish), 5.9% Europe South (Aegian 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%), 4.4% Europe NW (Scandinavia) & 1.6% Europe East, (Mordovia).
    FT Big Y: I1-Z140 branch I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 900 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 1030 AD) >A13243/YSEQ (circa 1550 AD).

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-09-2018),  Erikl86 (11-09-2018),  MikeWhalen (11-09-2018),  Piquerobi (11-09-2018),  spruithean (11-09-2018),  Targum (11-09-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA
    J1-YSC234 (Z18271+)
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Quote Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
    For the possible interest of some:

Extremely Rare Judaean and Related Roman Coins Featured in Goldberg’s New York Sale

The obverse reads meaning "Shekel of Israel Year 5" while the reverse reads meaning "Holy Jerusalem" (Yerušalayim haQedoshah). The three pomegranates on the reverse were one of the most recognisable national symbols of the Jewish people along with the Menorah and the date tree (also found on several of these coins).

What I always found interesting with these coins is the plene spelling, for instance "Holy Jerusalem" as Yerushalayim HaQedoshah with the waw and the yod whereas most ancient Hebrew inscriptions would only have yršlm hqdšh (where yršlm is presumably pronounced "Yerushalem" or "Yerushalim") with no matres lectionis as is typical of most ancient Canaanite inscriptions. This strongly vindicates the theory according to which Bar Kokhba attempted to re-impose Hebrew as the spoken language instead of Aramaic (hence the plene spelling which was carried into the written language, something which also happened in Samaritan Hebrew).

Edit: Looks like the forum has a problem with the Canaanite script. I posted screenshots of the script instead.
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 11-10-2018 at 03:01 AM.
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (11-09-2018),  JMcB (11-10-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    I-A13243
    mtDNA
    H1e2

England Scotland Ireland United States of America Vatican Germany Schleswig-Holstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    The obverse reads meaning "Shekel of Israel Year 5" while the reverse reads meaning "Holy Jerusalem" (Yerušalayim haQedoshah). The three pomegranates on the reverse were one of the most recognisable national symbols of the Jewish people along with the Menorah and the date tree (also found on several of these coins).

What I always found interesting with these coins is the plene spelling, for instance "Holy Jerusalem" as Yerushalayim HaQedoshah with the waw and the yod whereas most ancient Hebrew inscriptions would only have yršlm hqdšh (where yršlm is presumably pronounced "Yerushalem" or "Yerushalim") with no matres lectionis as is typical of most ancient Canaanite inscriptions. This strongly vindicates the theory according to which Bar Kokhba attempted to re-impose Hebrew as the spoken language instead of Aramaic (hence the plene spelling which was carried into the written language, something which also happened in Samaritan Hebrew).

Edit: Looks like the forum has a problem with the Canaanite script. I posted screenshots of the script instead.

That reminds me of something I saw the other day, which also might be of interest.

2,000-Year-Old Stone Inscription Is Earliest to Spell Out ‘Jerusalem’

In ancient times, a shorthand spelling was typically used

https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/hL0KW...0f16884e/5.jpg

Last winter, archaeologists working near the entrance of Jerusalem discovered the foundations of a Roman structure dating to the 1st century B.C. But it was the unassuming drum of a column that once supported the building that really caught their eye. As Nir Hasson reports for Haaretz, the limestone drum is etched with the oldest known inscription of the city’s name, spelled out in full.

When modern Hebrew speakers talk or write about Jerusalem, they refer to it as “Yerushalayim.” But in ancient times, a shorthand spelling was often used: “Yerushalem.” In fact, of the 660 times that Jerusalem is mentioned in the Bible, only five of them use the full spelling. So while undertaking the recent excavation, which was conducted before the planned construction of a road in the area, archaeologists were surprised to find the drum’s inscription read “Hananiah son of Dodalos of Jerusalem.”

[…]

“First and Second Temple period inscriptions mentioning Jerusalem are quite rare,” Yuval Baruch, an archaeologist with the Israel Antiquities Authority, and Ronny Reich, a professor of archaeology at Haifa University, note together in the statement. But it is the unique spelling of Jerusalem that really makes the stone special. The full version of the city’s name has been found on just one other artifact from the Second Temple Period: a coin dating between 66 and 70 A.D., a period of Jewish revolt against the Romans.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...lem-180970513/

&

Earliest known stone carving of Hebrew word ‘Jerusalem’ found near city entrance

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www...018/10/2-2.jpg

The earliest stone inscription bearing the full spelling of the modern Hebrew word for Jerusalem was unveiled on Tuesday at the Israel Museum, in the capital.

[…]

In Aramaic, the word would have been spelled “Yerushalem,” said Dr. Alexey (Eliyahu) Yuditsky, who works as a researcher for the academy’s Historical Dictionary Project.

“The spelling with the letter ‘yud’ points to the Hebrew pronunciation,” said Yuditsky from his Givat Ram office ...

... While, according to archaeologists, this inscription is the first of its kind uncovered in stone, the fact of finding a full spelling of Jerusalem is not such a rare occurrence for the time period, Yuditsky said.

The Dead Sea Scrolls, which may have been written as early as 400 BCE, but are definitely at least contemporary or earlier than the stone inscription, offer dozens of physical examples of the full spelling of “Yerushalayim.” Written in the same Hebrew font ...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/earlie...city-entrance/
    Last edited by JMcB; 11-10-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Known Paper Trail: 45.3% English, 29.7% Scottish, 12.5% Irish, 6.25% German & 6.25% Italian. Or: 87.5% British Isles, 6.25% German & 6.25% Italian.
    LivingDNA: 88.1% British Isles (59.7% English, 27% Scottish & 1.3% Irish), 5.9% Europe South (Aegian 3.4%, Tuscany 1.3%, Sardinia 1.1%), 4.4% Europe NW (Scandinavia) & 1.6% Europe East, (Mordovia).
    FT Big Y: I1-Z140 branch I-F2642 >Y1966 >Y3649 >A13241 >Y3647 >A13248 (circa 900 AD) >A13242/YSEQ (circa 1030 AD) >A13243/YSEQ (circa 1550 AD).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcB For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (11-10-2018)