Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good/informative is the Y-DNA/mtDNA test offered by 23andme?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c1e

How good/informative is the Y-DNA/mtDNA test offered by 23andme?

The site only says that they test for "Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups", but there's no word on the scope of the test. They have a thanksgiving offer going right now and $69 sounds very tempting considering that other services charge hundreds for it, but is there a reason for the difference in price?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    It's exactly as they say - they only report the haplogroups. There are no Y/mt matches or other details. It's not really a Y/mtDNA test, it's an autosomal DNA test and they include enough Y/mtDNA data to report the haplogroups but that's it. The reason other services charge hundreds for Y/mtDNA tests is because you're getting much more from them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

andyouare (11-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c1e

Quote Originally Posted by RobinBMc View Post
    It's exactly as they say - they only report the haplogroups. There are no Y/mt matches or other details. It's not really a Y/mtDNA test, it's an autosomal DNA test and they include enough Y/mtDNA data to report the haplogroups but that's it. The reason other services charge hundreds for Y/mtDNA tests is because you're getting much more from them.
    Mind telling me what else I'd be getting elsewhere and what you'd recommend?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

FamilyTreeDNA is the go-to for Y/mtDNA. The main benefit is the matches, which tend to be more useful for Y than mtDNA. I'd only recommend getting them done if you have a specific question or issue on the direct Y or mtDNA lines.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

andyouare (11-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c1e

FamilyTreeDNA is the go-to for Y/mtDNA. The main benefit is the matches, which tend to be more useful for Y than mtDNA. I'd only recommend getting them done if you have a specific question or issue on the direct Y or mtDNA lines.
    I've read somewhere that the MyHeritage raw dna data actually contains the info regarding the Y-dna/mtDNA but MH just doesn't include this info in their report. Is there any known way to extract this information?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Quote Originally Posted by andyouare View Post
    I've read somewhere that the MyHeritage raw dna data actually contains the info regarding the Y-dna/mtDNA but MH just doesn't include this info in their report. Is there any known way to extract this information?
    Likewise, you’d only be able to get the haplogroups from that. It’s probably included in the raw DNA file download - Promethease.com and WeGene will provide haplogroups from the uploaded raw data. But unless I’m mistaken, MyHeritage only includes Y DNA, not mtDNA. Ancestry’s V1 chip included some Y data, not mtDNA, but their V2 chip includes both. These will likely not be the most specific subclade since the data included is limited.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA...mparison_chart

Registered Users
    Sex

There was a thread where someone posted the myHeritage results of a relative and the Y-DNA coverage wasn't very good.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Arab
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2a
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c1e

Likewise, you’d only be able to get the haplogroups from that. It’s probably included in the raw DNA file download - Promethease.com and WeGene will provide haplogroups from the uploaded raw data. But unless I’m mistaken, MyHeritage only includes Y DNA, not mtDNA. Ancestry’s V1 chip included some Y data, not mtDNA, but their V2 chip includes both. These will likely not be the most specific subclade since the data included is limited.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA...mparison_chart
    Promethease isn't free and WeGene doesn't support MyHeritage raw data, but you say I'd only be able to get the haplogroups from that as if that info is insignificant. Do you believe that?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-Y17218
    mtDNA (M)
    H13a2b2a

United States of America England Sweden Scotland Ireland
    23andme recently updated paternal haplogroups. Mine went from I-L22 to I-L205.1. I then requested an L205 test from FTDNA. It came back false. I asked Family Tree to double check and they promptly triple checked and confirmed their result. I requested a check from 23andme and haven't heard back yet. It makes me wonder how rigorous 23andme is for YDNA haplogroup testing.
    Known origins (6 generations): 48% south and east England, 25% Bothnian Sweden, 13% Ulster/Scotland, 5% Switzerland/Palatinate Germany, 9% Unknown

23andme (50% conf.): 33% British&Irish, 23% Sweden, 17% French&German, 1.3% Finnish, 1% East European

Eurogenes K36: 21% North Sea, 16% Fennoscandian, 13% Iberian, 12% N. Atlantic, 9% Italian, 8% Cent. Euro., 7% French, 5% E. Cent. Euro., 3% E. Euro., 6% Volga-Ural, W. Med., Basque, E. Med.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwtodd For This Useful Post:

FaerieQueene (04-11-2019),  oz (11-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b

Promethease isn't free and WeGene doesn't support MyHeritage raw data, but you say I'd only be able to get the haplogroups from that as if that info is insignificant. Do you believe that?
    I didn't say Promethease was free? And you didn't mention free... it's only $10 I think. And as mentioned, MyHeritage's Y data is very limited, only 482 SNPs versus 23andMe's 3,000+ and AncestryDNA's 1,000+.

Haplogroups aren't relevant to recent genealogy. If you happen to get a subclade that is specific to a certain area, that can help pinpoint where that particular line came from, but that's not typical in my experience, and unlikely when the data is limited and may not provide the most specific subclade to begin with. Typically, haplogroups are from thousands and thousands of years ago and cover very broad areas of the world or continent. It's interesting, but not very useful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast