Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Thoughts on my DNA results? New here.

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Posts
    8
    Sex

    Thanks for the response. The only major company I have not tested at is 23andMe. Like I said, I am awaiting the results from LivingDNA. I too was shocked when I saw FamilyTree's MyOrigins give me a 14 percent Eastern Europe result. To my knowledge, there is no known ancestry from Eastern Europe. Why do you say FamilyTreeDNA over estimates Eastern Europe connection?

    With regard to GEDMatch I score quite close to Orkney, Orcadian, West Scottish, Danish, and Norwegian. My scores are quite close all under five. In fact, the Orkney results are very close to zero. What is this indicative of?

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Posts
    8
    Sex

    For CillKenny:

    Thanks for the reply. Excellent post. WeGene predicted z255 as my YDNA haplogroup. I'm not so sure this is exact. I'm awaiting my results from LivingDNA. I'm also aware that FamilyTree is more exact for YDna testing. My paternal family is from Ballysteen/Shanagolden on the north of County Limerick. My surname is of Gaelic origin, but is not that popular of well known. A lot of matches from my autosomal results are Gleesons/Glasheen/Casey, names which are found in Tipperary. But Limerick City is a Scandinavian settlement and my paternal townland is, Ballysteen, is Scandinavian as well. Do you think the Scandinavian element is over done? What can account for these presumed discrepancies? Can you tell me more about Z255 as it relates to Leinster and North Munster?

  3. #23
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,264
    Sex
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

    Quote Originally Posted by CeltsScholar View Post
    Why do you say FamilyTreeDNA over estimates Eastern Europe connection?
    Just from other results I've seen. FTDNA is great for Y and mtDNA, but I don't think people consider it's ethnicity estimate to be that great.

    With regard to GEDMatch I score quite close to Orkney, Orcadian, West Scottish, Danish, and Norwegian. My scores are quite close all under five. In fact, the Orkney results are very close to zero. What is this indicative of?
    If they are all quite close I don't think that means much. Some of the tests might not have Irish results, and I would expect West Scottish and Irish to be really close often anyway. It does seem like there's something of a Scandinavian pull, but there are other Irish testers with that too, so it's not that unusual (maybe Jessie?).

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Posts
    8
    Sex

    Thanks for the response. If these results are so. Who do you think the people of Ireland and Scotland were? Do you think Ptolemy's map and tribal naming is accurate? If so, how long do you think those tribes were there?

  5. #25
    Registered Users
    Posts
    636
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by CeltsScholar View Post
    Thanks for the response. If these results are so. Who do you think the people of Ireland and Scotland were? Do you think Ptolemy's map and tribal naming is accurate? If so, how long do you think those tribes were there?
    You can't really begin to know who those people were or what they called themselves. They did not have a written record of their own. But in all likelihood the vast majority were descendants of "pre-Celtic" populations who eventually had adopted "Celtic" culture and language.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097 [Big Y: Complete] (Scotland), Big Y: I-Z140>F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  6. #26
    Registered Users
    Posts
    500
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

    Ireland
    I don't think that autosomal tests can really be too indicative of population input from long ago, at least not with commercial companies. Population studies like the Irish DNA Atlas help to give a better indication of that and possibly GEDmatch. It's not unusual for an Irish person whether living in Ireland or only known to have Irish ancestors to get high percentages of the category with commercial companies. My mum and paternal aunt both get 100% Ireland & Scotland with Ancestry while I get 98%. I get 100% British Isles with FTDNA and 100% Irish, Scottish and Welsh with MyHeritage.

    You made a point about your paternal hometown having a Scandinavian name but three of your four grandparents have Gaelic names. A lot of surnames weren't introduced until after the Vikings so that can't really be relied upon either and Scandinavian surnames were only introduced in the 18th century. I have Higgins, Knotts and Brodericks in my family which are supposed modern-day Irish surnames of Viking descent but I'm not sure if that's certain either. With Vikings adopting Irish naming patterns, it's possible that many could have adopted a surname like Finn which just means fair-haired.

    For the Eurogenes GEDmatch calculators, I also get similar populations.
    With K13 I get Irish 5.314032, West_Scottish 5.487722, Norwegian 5.940386, North_Dutch 6.127945, Danish 6.378172 and Orcadian 6.647487.
    My mum gets Norwegian 1.95, Danish 2.54, North_Dutch 2.64, North_German 3.7, Swedish 3.8, Orcadian 4.97 and Irish 5.
    My dad gets West_Scottish 5.6, Irish 6.07, Southwest_English 7.32, Orcadian 7.56, Southeast_English 8.83, North_Dutch 8.97 and Danish 9.48.
    My mum has the closest distance to a population at 1.95 but it's Norwegian. My dad and I don't even get a single population under 5. Even though Irish is her 7th highest population match, she is actually closer to the Irish population than my dad and I. Maybe these results indicate high amounts of Scandinavian ancestry in the Irish but it's difficult to know for certain. It could just be due to sampling and many other factors could affect the accuracy of the calculators.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Roscommon, Galway, Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Martin Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine/Hy Many)
    Father's mtDNA: Catherine Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): Anne McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Mary Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

     msmarjoribanks (11-18-2018)

  8. #27
    Registered Users
    Posts
    103
    Sex
    Location
    Ireland
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA
    K1C1B

    Ireland Ireland County Tipperary
    Quote Originally Posted by CeltsScholar View Post
    For CillKenny:

    Do you think the Scandinavian element is over done? What can account for these presumed discrepancies? Can you tell me more about Z255 as it relates to Leinster and North Munster?
    The Irish DNA Atlas and the TCD study both see a Norse link and the timeframe they connect back to spans the Norse settlements. They also note they do not see the signature in the Y DNA haplogroups. The Norse signal is also spread everywhere on the island. My best guess is that when the Norse cities fell the surviving males left and the rest of the population dispersed into the general population. So I don't think it is overdone and it is clearly a Norwegian (in modern terms) signal.

  9. #28
    Registered Users
    Posts
    263
    Sex
    Location
    Maine, USA

    Quote Originally Posted by CeltsScholar View Post
    Thanks for the response. The only major company I have not tested at is 23andMe. Like I said, I am awaiting the results from LivingDNA. I too was shocked when I saw FamilyTree's MyOrigins give me a 14 percent Eastern Europe result. To my knowledge, there is no known ancestry from Eastern Europe. Why do you say FamilyTreeDNA over estimates Eastern Europe connection?

    With regard to GEDMatch I score quite close to Orkney, Orcadian, West Scottish, Danish, and Norwegian. My scores are quite close all under five. In fact, the Orkney results are very close to zero. What is this indicative of?

    FTDNA myorigins is very strange and according to many, inaccurate. Notice how when people talk about the "major DNA testing companies" now, FTDNA is not mentioned anymore. Its usually 23andme, AncestryDNA, and MyHeritage.

  10. #29
    Registered Users
    Posts
    636
    Sex
    Location
    Ontario
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

    Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I don't think that autosomal tests can really be too indicative of population input from long ago, at least not with commercial companies. Population studies like the Irish DNA Atlas help to give a better indication of that and possibly GEDmatch. It's not unusual for an Irish person whether living in Ireland or only known to have Irish ancestors to get high percentages of the category with commercial companies. My mum and paternal aunt both get 100% Ireland & Scotland with Ancestry while I get 98%. I get 100% British Isles with FTDNA and 100% Irish, Scottish and Welsh with MyHeritage.

    You made a point about your paternal hometown having a Scandinavian name but three of your four grandparents have Gaelic names. A lot of surnames weren't introduced until after the Vikings so that can't really be relied upon either and Scandinavian surnames were only introduced in the 18th century. I have Higgins, Knotts and Brodericks in my family which are supposed modern-day Irish surnames of Viking descent but I'm not sure if that's certain either. With Vikings adopting Irish naming patterns, it's possible that many could have adopted a surname like Finn which just means fair-haired.

    For the Eurogenes GEDmatch calculators, I also get similar populations.
    With K13 I get Irish 5.314032, West_Scottish 5.487722, Norwegian 5.940386, North_Dutch 6.127945, Danish 6.378172 and Orcadian 6.647487.
    My mum gets Norwegian 1.95, Danish 2.54, North_Dutch 2.64, North_German 3.7, Swedish 3.8, Orcadian 4.97 and Irish 5.
    My dad gets West_Scottish 5.6, Irish 6.07, Southwest_English 7.32, Orcadian 7.56, Southeast_English 8.83, North_Dutch 8.97 and Danish 9.48.
    My mum has the closest distance to a population at 1.95 but it's Norwegian. My dad and I don't even get a single population under 5. Even though Irish is her 7th highest population match, she is actually closer to the Irish population than my dad and I. Maybe these results indicate high amounts of Scandinavian ancestry in the Irish but it's difficult to know for certain. It could just be due to sampling and many other factors could affect the accuracy of the calculators.
    Surnames are not really something we can use to predict origins for a large number of people thanks to any number of events leading to the acquiring of surname. To add to your comment about a surname being adopted after the Viking era, my surname is a Gaelic name and in all likelihood my paternal ancestor was born in a Gaelic speaking or formerly Gaelic speaking area yet my Y-DNA is not likely to be part of the usual Gaelic R1b clades group

    Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    FTDNA myorigins is very strange and according to many, inaccurate. Notice how when people talk about the "major DNA testing companies" now, FTDNA is not mentioned anymore. Its usually 23andme, AncestryDNA, and MyHeritage.
    Eh, MyOrigins did okay for me and honestly AncestryDNA lacks Y-DNA and mtDNA testing which makes them seem sort of limited in my eyes. MyHeritage's labwork is done by the same lab as FTDNA and MyHeritage has been even weirder with estimations last I heard.
    Y-DNA: I-A14097 [Big Y: Complete] (Scotland), Big Y: I-Z140>F2642>Y1966>Y3649>A13241>Y3647>A14097 (1,850 YBP)
    mtDNA: pending (Westeremden, Netherlands)
    Other lines:
    R-M222 x2 (Ireland), R-L21 x2 (Ireland & Scotland), I-M223 (Ireland), R-S1141 (Scotland), R-U198 & R-U106 (Netherlands), mtHg J1c3 (Ireland)
    Known ancestry
    Paternal: Britain & Ireland, France and Germany
    Maternal: Netherlands

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

     msmarjoribanks (11-18-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. GenCove: any thoughts on your results?
    By leo76 in forum Other
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2018, 08:25 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2018, 05:27 PM
  3. Thoughts on this please .
    By firemonkey in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2018, 03:39 PM
  4. Thoughts on my interpretation of SNP Data
    By DillonResearcher in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2017, 06:13 PM
  5. Very interesting results for my paternal grandmother, thoughts?
    By LauraHolland in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2016, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •