Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on my DNA results? New here.

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by mildlycurly View Post
    Ancestry's new "smoothing" algorithm is pretty poor if you expect to find more distant ancestry- I scored only English and Welsh/Irish and Scottish when I have more distant Romani and Jewish ancestry.

I plan to do 23andme after Christmas- this is apparently better at picking up distant admixture than Ancestry, even if it tests fewer SNPs and is prone to overestimating said admixture (for example, a person could score 95% British and Irish and 5% French and German when the actual number is closer to 98/2).

Have you tried DNA Land yet? (dna.land)
    Do you have actual genealogy proof of distant Jewish and Romani? I am curious because often many people are told they have some distant ancestry, or even see noise level results on GEDMATCH, and think they have such ancestry when they really don't.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ianz91 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (11-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I2

Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    Do you have actual genealogy proof of distant Jewish and Romani? I am curious because often many people are told they have some distant ancestry, or even see noise level results on GEDMATCH, and think they have such ancestry when they really don't.
    What's wrong bro?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Mykhailo View Post
    What's wrong bro?
    Nothing, I was just wondering. It's fascinating to me if someone can actually trace distant ancestry. For example, I have some distant Norwegian and it was VERY difficult for me when I researched my family tree. I can only imagine it being much more difficult if that ancestry is Romani or Jewish, I heard these groups are much harder to find proof because paper documents were often destroyed (world wars) or didn't exist at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ianz91 For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (11-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    I2

Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    Nothing, I was just wondering. It's fascinating to me if someone can actually trace distant ancestry. For example, I have some distant Norwegian and it was VERY difficult for me when I researched my family tree. I can only imagine it being much more difficult if that ancestry is Romani or Jewish, I heard these groups are much harder to find proof because paper documents were often destroyed (world wars) or didn't exist at all.
    OK, good.

Banned
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    E-V12 (E1b1b1a1a1)

Lebanon
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Hardly.
    Isn't the highest diversity of R1b found in Anatolia/modern-day Turkey?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsScholar View Post
    All four of my grandparents were born and raised in Ireland, specifically Limerick (paternal) and Leitrim (maternal). Seven out of eight of my ancestral surnames are of Gaelic origin. One is of Norman ancestry. I have tested with five of the six major companies. I am also awaiting the results of my Y-DNA from LivingDNA. Below I will post my results. Please I would like serious input on people's thoughts of my results. Also, do my results indicate Celtic or pre-Celtic DNA? If so, could this be indicative of the Roman scholars Celtic tribes of Ireland. Or is it true that DNA tests cannot go further back than six or seven generations. Here are the results.

AncestryDNA: 100 percent Ireland/Scotland.
    This is consistent with your paper trail. Ancestry doesn't distinguish old inputs into populations like Norman (which is usually a pretty small input, from what I understand) and Scandinavian into the British Isles and so on, at least not intentionally. It used to have a big issue with separating British Isles (but more England than Ireland) and Scandinavian and sometimes there's still a remaining "Norwegian" that might be picked up, which I think reflects the old Viking input into the Isles. But in any case you don't get it, and the current test seems to be quite good at identifying 100% Irish people as 100% Ireland/Scotland.

MyHeritage: 99.2 percent Ireland/Scotland/Wales, .08 Middle East
    I think MyHeritage has lots of issues, but seems like this result is pretty much on point.

FamilyTreeDNA: 85 percent British Isles, 14 percent Europe East
    I think FTDNA has a problem with overstating EE. My sister and I both got the same as you almost (85% British Isles and 15% EE), but in our cases there was a better explanation, as we have Swedish and German ancestry, in addition to English, Welsh, and Ulster Irish, so I think the central European got split. Beats me why you got this result, but given extra EE I've seen repeatedly at FTDNA I wouldn't think much about it.

LivingDNA: Awaiting Results
    WeGene: predicted haplogroup S-219/Rs-z255
    GedMatch: All Eurogenes tests came back Orkney, Orcadian, Danish, West Scottish, Norwegian
    For me the best test is 23andMe, and everything I've heard about it makes me think it's the most accurate, but my suspicion is that it wouldn't tell you anything new, since it -- like Ancestry -- is going to focus on Ireland and not long ago inputs (not unless they were unlike what you expect to find in Ireland, and yours are not).

What are the distances you get on Gedmatch? It's not that uncommon for Irish testers to get Orkney as a top. I think that's because of the methodology and the variation that exists within countries and the overlap.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsScholar View Post
    ADogsSon,

Thanks for the response. I love good discussion and vigorous debate. Yes, Wexford, Waterford, Dublin, Limerick and other settlements in Ireland have Scandinavian names. There is not doubt. But does that mean that there is a significant Scandinavian element or genetic influence?
    I'm not convinced it's due to Viking input vs. earlier connections, but if you look at the Irish DNA results (there's a long thread about it here, and a good YouTube video on it, as well as all the reports), it does show a significant Norwegian input, more than in England, for example.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I have Eva of Leinster, 1145-1188, in my tree. She married Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke after he intervened in an Irish civil war or etc. Well, if you google them, it shows she had red hair. I suspect that at least some of Irish red hairiness came from the Norse (Norwegians).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z255
    mtDNA
    K1C1B

Ireland Ireland County Tipperary
    Z255 was very early on associated with the leading families of Leinster. It also stretches into North Munster which had groups linked to an laigin back in time. Surnames such as Gleeson are included. It is also seen on the border regions of Scotland and in Scandinavia. Reading MacFhirbhisigh recently he repeated the old view that an laigin came from NW France but added that some of their number also went to Scotland. Z255 was located very close to the Norse settlements, particularly Dublin so is also found in places the Dublin Norse came from and where they settled. You would have to get a more detailed test to confirm and see where you fit in.

Sex

Thanks for the response. The only major company I have not tested at is 23andMe. Like I said, I am awaiting the results from LivingDNA. I too was shocked when I saw FamilyTree's MyOrigins give me a 14 percent Eastern Europe result. To my knowledge, there is no known ancestry from Eastern Europe. Why do you say FamilyTreeDNA over estimates Eastern Europe connection?

With regard to GEDMatch I score quite close to Orkney, Orcadian, West Scottish, Danish, and Norwegian. My scores are quite close all under five. In fact, the Orkney results are very close to zero. What is this indicative of?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast