Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

United States of America Germany England France Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ais View Post
    That's interesting, in another G25 calculator I tried recently I was getting Scythian results as well, and I didn't see many other people with Scythian. I can't think of any ancestry recent enough to cause it though, my known ancestry from regions where it might have an effect are far too old. I do have a recent NPE on my father's side (the side that has high Central Asian), but I can't recall getting particularly high percentages for any region that might be causing it. My Indian ancestry is only around 1%, so I can't imagine that's related either.
    I am curious what your admixture percentages are on Eurogenes K13 and PuntDNAL K13. Your DNATribes percentages are interesting.
    Last edited by randwulf; 12-03-2018 at 11:09 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to randwulf For This Useful Post:

Ais (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    Here are my results for Eurogenes K13:

1 North_Atlantic 48.07
    2 Baltic 24.26
    3 West_Med 14.19
    4 West_Asian 8.02
    5 South_Asian 2.17
    6 Amerindian 1.59
    7 Siberian 0.78
    8 East_Med 0.5
    9 Oceanian 0.4

And PuntDNAL K13:

1 NE_Europe 48.22
    2 SW_Europe 34.71
    3 West_Asia 9.96
    4 South_Asia 2.88
    5 Americas 1.25
    6 Siberia 1.18
    7 East_Africa 0.51
    8 SW_Asia 0.48
    9 South_Africa 0.42
    10 Oceania 0.32
    11 SE_Asia 0.06
    12 NE_Asia 0.01

My DNA tribes regional breakdowns actually has around 4% Tajik, so Central Asian even shows up there.
    DNA Tribes
    Me
    92.1% European, 3.2% South Asian, 2.9% North African & Middle Eastern, 0.9% Siberian, 0.6% Amerindian, 0.2% Sub-Saharan African

My mother
    95% European, 2.9% North African & Middle Eastern, 2.1% Amerindian

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ais For This Useful Post:

randwulf (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

Here are my results for Eurogenes K13:

1 North_Atlantic 48.07
    2 Baltic 24.26
    3 West_Med 14.19
    4 West_Asian 8.02
    5 South_Asian 2.17
    6 Amerindian 1.59
    7 Siberian 0.78
    8 East_Med 0.5
    9 Oceanian 0.4

And PuntDNAL K13:

1 NE_Europe 48.22
    2 SW_Europe 34.71
    3 West_Asia 9.96
    4 South_Asia 2.88
    5 Americas 1.25
    6 Siberia 1.18
    7 East_Africa 0.51
    8 SW_Asia 0.48
    9 South_Africa 0.42
    10 Oceania 0.32
    11 SE_Asia 0.06
    12 NE_Asia 0.01

My DNA tribes regional breakdowns actually has around 4% Tajik, so Central Asian even shows up there.
    So both of those admixture calculators give you ~5% more "easterly" Asian admixture when added together, with the strongest being South Asian, but others significant, too. With reference to iron age European references, the easiest path to resolve your G25 coordinates to the model was to give you a significant portion of Scythian. Interesting...I would think it is a signal of something, not sure what, though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to randwulf For This Useful Post:

Ais (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Meseta Iberian
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-Y31991 > PF4428
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    How reliable is DNA Tribes ancestral breakdown, though? Some companies' are very rubbish. I wouldn't bother myself too much about those small percentages, even if it is real it's really small
    G25 Hidden Content and Hidden Content distances
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

DEIBABOR
    IGO
    DEIBOBOR
    VISSAIEIGO
    BOR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

Ais (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    How reliable is DNA Tribes ancestral breakdown, though? Some companies' are very rubbish. I wouldn't bother myself too much about those small percentages, even if it is real it's really small
    My five family member reports from DNATribes all are top notch. The admixture "continental core" breakdowns are spot on. The population breakdowns are not meant to be taken at face value by their own text/descriptions of their purpose. Rather, they are input to some mappings that, again, are spot on for all of my family reports. So are the individual distance mappings. So, I definitely wouldn't take the percentage of one population in one of those mixes at face value, but their reports when interpreted as they suggest are some of the most informative I have received.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randwulf For This Useful Post:

Ais (12-06-2018),  JMcB (12-06-2018),  Ruderico (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    Quote Originally Posted by randwulf View Post
    So both of those admixture calculators give you ~5% more "easterly" Asian admixture when added together, with the strongest being South Asian, but others significant, too. With reference to iron age European references, the easiest path to resolve your G25 coordinates to the model was to give you a significant portion of Scythian. Interesting...I would think it is a signal of something, not sure what, though.
    I wish I had some idea of where it was coming from. Unfortunately, I've hit some dead ends in my tree, and so I'm looking more closely at my matches. The South Asian is known for certain, because I have a paper trail going back to Calcutta on my dad's side, but I think the Central Asian is probably separate. In DIY calculators and plots, the signal is sometimes so strong it can shift me away from the main UK cluster.

About DNA Tribes, I found it particularly interesting. While you never take any % or region results literally, the wealth of information in those reports is very useful. It was good to see the difference between my own report and my mother's as well, and how it compares to other estimates and gedmatch results.
    DNA Tribes
    Me
    92.1% European, 3.2% South Asian, 2.9% North African & Middle Eastern, 0.9% Siberian, 0.6% Amerindian, 0.2% Sub-Saharan African

My mother

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ais For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-06-2018),  randwulf (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

I wish I had some idea of where it was coming from. Unfortunately, I've hit some dead ends in my tree, and so I'm looking more closely at my matches. The South Asian is known for certain, because I have a paper trail going back to Calcutta on my dad's side, but I think the Central Asian is probably separate. In DIY calculators and plots, the signal is sometimes so strong it can shift me away from the main UK cluster.

About DNA Tribes, I found it particularly interesting. While you never take any % or region results literally, the wealth of information in those reports is very useful. It was good to see the difference between my own report and my mother's as well, and how it compares to other estimates and gedmatch results.
    Have you tried exploring your one-to-many matches on Gedmatch? I have learned a lot investigating genetic "cousins", particularly when they seem not to be admixed from my known areas and they are not part of a "pile up" zone.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randwulf For This Useful Post:

Ais (12-06-2018),  JMcB (12-06-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    Quote Originally Posted by randwulf View Post
    Have you tried exploring your one-to-many matches on Gedmatch? I have learned a lot investigating genetic "cousins", particularly when they seem not to be admixed from my known areas and they are not part of a "pile up" zone.
    I have actually gotten some useful information from my one to many, but the majority of my matches are American, so not the most useful for analysing regions. I've actually been looking at pile up regions recently (not known pile up regions/false match areas, but personal ones where I get substantial numbers of matches that triangulate with each other). It's been very interesting. One of my pile ups has over 200 people, some of whom are over 30 and 40cM. Some of my strongest matches here have good family trees, and I can understand why they would match each other so strongly (they have Colonial American backgrounds), but it doesn't explain why I match them at the same level.
    DNA Tribes
    Me

My mother

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ais For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-08-2018),  randwulf (12-06-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    I have actually gotten some useful information from my one to many, but the majority of my matches are American, so not the most useful for analysing regions. I've actually been looking at pile up regions recently (not known pile up regions/false match areas, but personal ones where I get substantial numbers of matches that triangulate with each other). It's been very interesting. One of my pile ups has over 200 people, some of whom are over 30 and 40cM. Some of my strongest matches here have good family trees, and I can understand why they would match each other so strongly (they have Colonial American backgrounds), but it doesn't explain why I match them at the same level.
    I have the same experience with these pile up regions.
    Their ancestors seem to have arrived in America before 1700 - often before 1650.
    And presumably they just want to find out from which part of Britain.
    Unfortunately the time of Civil War is often a time of poor record keeping and many of my lines cannot be traced beyond 1660.
    Some of my people also seem to come from an area where people changed from locational names to patronyms during the 1500s.
    So if the link is back that far, then it's also untraceable for that reason.

Regretfully, I have put those personal pile up areas aside for now.
    I would love to help people find out where they come from, but it's too hard. And too distant.
    I am much more invested in possible relationships between some of my immigrants of the 1840s.
    Records from that homeland are mostly lacking, but the DNA is showing that some people on the same ship with the same surname are siblings or close cousins.

Looked for this after DNA cousins with really good research had found evidence for our Cornish emigrant ancestors coming as groups of families.
    The problem there is not the records - they are abundant - but so are some of the patronymic surnames, but the DNA can separate one line of MARTINs from the others.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Ais (12-08-2018),  JMcB (12-08-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish
    mtDNA
    J1c8 / L1b

Scotland England
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    I have the same experience with these pile up regions.
    Their ancestors seem to have arrived in America before 1700 - often before 1650.
    And presumably they just want to find out from which part of Britain.
    Unfortunately the time of Civil War is often a time of poor record keeping and many of my lines cannot be traced beyond 1660.
    Some of my people also seem to come from an area where people changed from locational names to patronyms during the 1500s.
    So if the link is back that far, then it's also untraceable for that reason.

Regretfully, I have put those personal pile up areas aside for now.
    I would love to help people find out where they come from, but it's too hard. And too distant.
    I am much more invested in possible relationships between some of my immigrants of the 1840s.
    Records from that homeland are mostly lacking, but the DNA is showing that some people on the same ship with the same surname are siblings or close cousins.

Looked for this after DNA cousins with really good research had found evidence for our Cornish emigrant ancestors coming as groups of families.
    The problem there is not the records - they are abundant - but so are some of the patronymic surnames, but the DNA can separate one line of MARTINs from the others.
    It's funny you have the same thing. What kind of cMs do you share with them? Unfortunately for me, my pile up matches are quite dominant in my match list on my mother's side. On my father's side, it's almost entirely matches from the NW Scottish Highlands - my ancestors from there seem to have bred a LOT, and all of their descendants have apparently done DNA tests! That's my paternal grandfather's side, I've only managed to find one confirmed match from my paternal grandmother's side, despite having done a fairly extensive family tree for her.
    DNA Tribes
    Me

My mother

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast