Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP371*
    mtDNA (M)
    HV11a

Netherlands Noord-Brabant Croatia Croatia Split-Dalmatia Austrian Empire

How far between us?

I came upon Y-DNA result, we're the same 14/16, with 2 and 3 difference on the rest. Here are STRs:

DYS456 x
    DYS389I x
    DYS390 x
    DYS389II x
    DYS458 x
    DYS19 -2
    DYS385a/b x
    DYS393 x
    DYS391 x
    DYS439 x
    DYS635 x
    DYS392 x
    YGATAH4 -3
    DYS437 x
    DYS438 x
    DYS448 x

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English, Irish, German
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21>L226>FGC5639

England Germany Netherlands France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Basta View Post
    I came upon Y-DNA result, we're the same 14/16, with 2 and 3 difference on the rest. Here are STRs:

DYS456 x
    DYS389I x
    DYS390 x
    DYS389II x
    DYS458 x
    DYS19 -2
    DYS385a/b x
    DYS393 x
    DYS391 x
    DYS439 x
    DYS635 x
    DYS392 x
    YGATAH4 -3
    DYS437 x
    DYS438 x
    DYS448 x
    On the average - 12 marker testers have 90 % average false positive rate. 25 markers is around 50 % false positives and 37 drops to 20 % false positives (the first useful level). So any comparison at 16 markers will have around a 80 % false positive rate. You really need more markers to determine relatedness. Also, having the marker values for 14 of 16 and then having two multi-step markers is another red flag. Also, 385a and 385b are two independent mutations, so you really have 17 markers. Your list also does not include most of the faster mutating markers, so genetic distances should be much less than normal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCasey For This Useful Post:

Basta (11-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Croat
    Nationality
    Croatian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP371*
    mtDNA (M)
    HV11a

Netherlands Noord-Brabant Croatia Croatia Split-Dalmatia Austrian Empire
    So these are all slow moving markers? I've found an Excel list of a thousand Y-DNA tests in various parts of Croatia, data from some research. This one was the best, 14 of 16, with few 13s. On FTDNA I have 31 matches, genetic distance 1, on 25 markers. If I'm right, all those are closer than this one?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L1280
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2(b)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L1029
    mtDNA (P)
    H5a2

Poland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertCasey View Post
    On the average - 12 marker testers have 90 % average false positive rate. 25 markers is around 50 % false positives and 37 drops to 20 % false positives (the first useful level). So any comparison at 16 markers will have around a 80 % false positive rate.
    You need to specify what your definition of "false positive" is? With no such definition, your above comment won't be very helpful to Basta.
    We all are "related" to each other, so the question is what your specific cut-off for "true relationship" is.
    Also, the above numbers may differ very significantly depending on haplogroup or specific subclade.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCasey View Post
    Also, having the marker values for 14 of 16 and then having two multi-step markers is another red flag.
    Yes, this looks suspicious. For Y-GATA-H4, this might be related to different formats used, so in such case a conversion is needed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Michał For This Useful Post:

lndy0430 (11-22-2018)

Banned
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Michał View Post
    You need to specify what your definition of "false positive" is? With no such definition, your above comment won't be very helpful to Basta.
    In stastical hypothesis testing false positive is type I error i.e inference of existence of something that is not there.
    Last edited by Volat; 11-23-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-L1280
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2(b)
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1a-L1029
    mtDNA (P)
    H5a2

Poland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Volat View Post
    In stastical hypothesis testing false positive is type I error i.e inference of existence of something that is not there.
    If so, then we need to know what the null hypothesis was in this case. For example, if the null hypothesis was that the two analyzed haplotypes belong to people who are not related to each other (so type I error would mean that we wrongly reject the null hypothesis, ie. we wrongly consider these two people to be related to each other), we still need to know how Robert defines relationship. In other words, we need to know how to distinguish people who are "related" from those who are "not related" to each other.