Thread: Would it be possible that I have a Jewish ancestor?

Sex

Would it be possible that I have a Jewish ancestor?

imgur.com/a/y7Gfgrr

I saw a post on a subreddit a few days ago where someone had Sephardic Jewish ancestry which had no ashkenazi and did have Southern European and some North African on 23 and me. My 23 and me, my dna.land, and a few ged match results are in the imgur link. Because of that post and my ged match results I am wondering if there might be a Jewish ancestor on my father’s side, possibly sephardic. The full extent of knowledge I have of my father’s ancestry is that his grandfather on his father’s side emigrated here with his wife from Italy, and his father married an Italian women. I was curious about this because most ged match admixtures come back with a high mixture of Jewish ancestry but I don’t know what that means and there are a lot of tests. I just got results from dna.land which says 26% ashkenazi in one category which then is broken down into 26% east Mediterranean islander so I’m not sure if that is a subset of ashkenazi or not but I find it hard to believe it could be so different from 23 and me. On promethease I have about 10 founder mutations for ashkenazi like brca 1 and brca 2 which I also thought were interesting but could just be a coincidence. Also a wegene test came back with a few points of ashkenazi but I know they are very inaccurate outside of Asian dna and I was only interested in the trait information.

Paternal haplogroup l-253M:I-FGC9550 Maternal haplogroup L1b1a
    Last edited by Chrishornet; 11-22-2018 at 06:12 PM.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

United States of America Germany England France Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrishornet View Post
    imgur.com/a/y7Gfgrr

I saw a post on a subreddit a few days ago where someone had Sephardic Jewish ancestry which had no ashkenazi and did have Southern European and some North African on 23 and me. My 23 and me, my dna.land, and a few ged match results are in the imgur link. Because of that post and my ged match results I am wondering if there might be a Jewish ancestor on my father’s side, possibly sephardic. The full extent of knowledge I have of my father’s ancestry is that his grandfather on his father’s side emigrated here with his wife from Italy, and his father married an Italian women. I was curious about this because most ged match admixtures come back with a high mixture of Jewish ancestry but I don’t know what that means and there are a lot of tests. I just got results from dna.land which says 26% ashkenazi in one category which then is broken down into 26% east Mediterranean islander so I’m not sure if that is a subset of ashkenazi or not but I find it hard to believe it could be so different from 23 and me. On promethease I have about 10 founder mutations for ashkenazi like brca 1 and brca 2 which I also thought were interesting but could just be a coincidence. Also a wegene test came back with a few points of ashkenazi but I know they are very inaccurate outside of Asian dna and I was only interested in the trait information.

Paternal haplogroup l-253M:I-FGC9550 Maternal haplogroup L1b1a
    With Jewish ancestry, it is common to have significant match(es) to full Ashkenazi or Sephardic persons on parts of the chromosomes. Do you have such matches to specific persons?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to randwulf For This Useful Post:

Ruderico (12-06-2018)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanised Paesuri
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-Y168273
    mtDNA
    H20 (H20c?)

Asturias Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    It doesn't seem like it at first, Ashkenazis score very large amounts of that component, and you have none. Sephardi's are trickier because they show up as a mix of South Euro (generally Italian) and MENA, and always with some ~5/10% Ashkenazi. However, in people with Calabrian or Sicilian ancestry MENA also shows up, if I'm not mistaken, so yours could simply be that.

Also, wegene is rubbish
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>E-Y134097>E-Y168273 (probably Scythian-Sarmatian). Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.7726"

Ruderico

Celtiberian,77.6
    Roman_Imperial_proxy,13.6
    Guanche,8.8