Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sephardi Jew Living DNA results

Quote Originally Posted by hartaisarlag View Post
    I frankly don't understand why people are so interested in Living DNA's results. What do they add to the picture?
    i definitely take it with a grain of salt
    it's interesting to see how they interpret/open up the jewish category from ancestry

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Z36123*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y2619 (likely)
    mtDNA (P)
    H7

Quote Originally Posted by curiousDNAguy12 View Post
    i definitely take it with a grain of salt
    it's interesting to see how they interpret/open up the jewish category from ancestry
    We have good enough modeling tools at this point to circumvent whatever opaque, probably historically agnostic models Living DNA is using. And besides, lately, 23andMe's approach to non-Ashkenazi Jews has gotten pretty interesting, and I trust their science more than whoever David and Hannah Nicholson are.
    The clock indicates the momentóbut what does eternity indicate?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hartaisarlag For This Useful Post:

Seabass (11-14-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

I still think 23andme has a long way to go. The results of samaritans and western Jews showing a whole diverse array of MENA ancestral Dna needs some explaining for sure. Also in theory, if 23andme ancestry composition is not meant to stretch further back than 500 years ago, why would be expect both levantine and Italian ancestry in Western Jews? You would expect instead the really lame result of more 'unassigned' or 'broadly' this that and the other. I think when dna companies utilitise ancient dna and properly quarantine dna segments at a time with statistical probability methods like 23andme is doing there could be some pretty meaningful results.

The Western Jewish clientele may find thr last few hundred years interesting but it's the origins dating back two millennium which might be of more interest. Where did we spawn from?
    Last edited by Seabass; 11-14-2019 at 02:37 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabass For This Useful Post:

hartaisarlag (11-14-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Jewish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Z36123*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c7a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Y2619 (likely)
    mtDNA (P)
    H7

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    I still think 23andme has a long way to go. The results of samaritans and western Jews showing a whole diverse array of MENA ancestral Dna needs some explaining for sure. Also in theory, if 23andme ancestry composition is not meant to stretch further back than 500 years ago, why would be expect both levantine and Italian ancestry in Western Jews? You would expect instead the really lame result of more 'unassigned' or 'broadly' this that and the other. I think when dna companies utilitise ancient dna and properly quarantine dna segments at a time with statistical probability methods like 23andme is doing there could be some pretty meaningful results.

The Western Jewish clientele may find thr last few hundred years interesting but it's the origins dating back two millennium which might be of more interest. Where did we spawn from?
    I agree with you. At this point, though, we are not far from having the complete set of ancient genomes we need to start answering those questions definitively (I'm also very bullish on deep uniparental phylogenies as a tool for this).
    The clock indicates the momentóbut what does eternity indicate?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hartaisarlag For This Useful Post:

Seabass (11-14-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Berber
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M81
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a4a1

Morocco
    I wouldnt take these results serious, livingDNA doesnt understand North African / Iberian DNA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12